Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pierce89

Re: Mercedes GP W02

hardingfv32 wrote:This seem like a little chicken or egg question?

The same models used to generate some of the simulator codes are used to optimizes the chassis for a race on a post shaker,etc. Shouldn't the computer be the one setting up the car?

Is this all about seeing if the driver can deal with the computer dictated setup? Dumbing down the setup to reinforce the driver's all important confidence.

I wonder if a driver spends enough time in the simulator, can his confidence grow to accept a setup that initially did not inspire confidence? Instead of simulator it could be called a driver psychology manipulator.

Brian
Yes the computer does come up with a theoretical best setup. It's usually virtually undriveable, so they use the simulator to work back from there to a good baseline for the track.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

With the new exhaust solution there might be a reason for keeping the double radiators...because now they can evacuate air right behind them. It won`t cost efficiency compared to others, who also need to use this position. Or is there a limited size for the holes in the bodywork, where exhausts are pointing rearwards?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

The whole reason on getting double rads was so the car could have a short wheel base. It cost them 4 months development getting the cooling right.
Next year Brawn has said the car will certainly be longer than the current W02. So the only reason to keep the unnecessarily complex arrangement would be to get a super compact rear "coke bottle" shape.
Red Bull achieve this without double rads.

Also, having this arrangement increases centra of gravity, an Achilles heal of the current package.
More could have been done.
David Purley

yener

raymondu999 wrote:Mind pointing out the fine tunings?
Sorry couldnt upload before..

Here is a picture of the new (under) and old (up) fw

"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

elf341
elf341

Good spots.
There looks also to be a new gurney just above the "syntium" logo on the upper element

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Forgive me if this has been covered before, but what is the purpose of what looks like the top of a small concave diffuser (circled in red) either side of the mounting struts?

Brian

adrianjordan

hardingfv32 wrote:Forgive me if this has been covered before, but what is the purpose of what looks like the top of a small concave diffuser (circled in red) either side of the mounting struts?

Brian
Unless I'm missing what you're referring to, aren't those the camera mounts..??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

No, these would be the first objects on the top surface of the main element outside the mounting struts.

Brian

MIKEY_!

Do you mean this bit? I have been wondering this myself.

Byronrhys

raymondu999

When did they debut a double airbox design? I don't remember that
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

Monaco

elf341
elf341

don't know if it's just me, but I love that photo of Geoff Willis with a look of concern on his face whilst looking at the rear of Nico's car.

Almost like a "wtf is going on here?!" -- he's probably looking at some of MGP's oft-featured heat-dispersion grills. I imagine for an aerodynamicist that would be akin to someone using salotape to fix a broken pair of Oakleys - it ain't cool anymore :lol:

DRCorsa
DRCorsa

elf341 wrote:don't know if it's just me, but I love that photo of Geoff Willis with a look of concern on his face whilst looking at the rear of Nico's car.

Almost like a "wtf is going on here?!" -- he's probably looking at some of MGP's oft-featured heat-dispersion grills. I imagine for an aerodynamicist that would be akin to someone using salotape to fix a broken pair of Oakleys - it ain't cool anymore :lol:
The rear cover is removed in that picture.. :P

Pierce89

Byronrhys wrote:Image
Geoff doesn't like what he sees
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher