Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Joie de vivre

Re: Mercedes GP W02

i bet they will run this FW next year :lol:

elf341

I really hope they don't have the same front wing. They debuted that wing in the Barcelona test, which probably means it was produced even as early as this time last year.
They certainly aren't going to catch up the "6 months" deficit claimed by Ross Brawn by putting on a front wing essentially 18 months old (idea conception).

I'm a big MGP fan, and I think they have made good progress since sorting out their "teething" issues. But they do seem to have had Force India nipping at their heels quite aggressively for at least the last few races.

Does anybody have an idea why that has happened?

yener

elf341 wrote:I really hope they don't have the same front wing. They debuted that wing in the Barcelona test, which probably means it was produced even as early as this time last year.
They certainly aren't going to catch up the "6 months" deficit claimed by Ross Brawn by putting on a front wing essentially 18 months old (idea conception).

I'm a big MGP fan, and I think they have made good progress since sorting out their "teething" issues. But they do seem to have had Force India nipping at their heels quite aggressively for at least the last few races.

That happened because they stopped with developments of the wo2. So that means no aero updates. Force India and Renault didnt stop and they brought new aero packages like new front wings etc etc.

Thats why ;)
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

MIKEY_!

Geoff's probably looking at the trick radiators. I'm sure that airbox intake looks smaller than the rest of the field. And a lot smaller than the BGP intake. My eyes are playing tricks on me aren't they?

Tyler

elf341 wrote:I really hope they don't have the same front wing. They debuted that wing in the Barcelona test, which probably means it was produced even as early as this time last year.

18 months old?
Isn't it more like double that?
Sure it's changed here and there but isn't it still the same basic concept they had on the BGP001?
Mikey!, you may be right, the actual hole for the airbox intake does look smaller than the rest, however the bodywork around it looks so clunky to me!
I still can't understand why they pioneered the blade intake with the W01, only to drop it for the W02.
I'm sure it's not a game changer but I reckon it does help reduce a bit of drag.
Seems to be working well for FI and if u look at the VJM04 head on it looks really sleek in that area and looks like it creates less of an obstruction to the rear wing.

aral

Tyler wrote:
I still can't understand why they pioneered the blade intake with the W01, only to drop it for the W02.
Simple. It was banned.

Lurk

Wasn't banned. Team Lotus and Force India have one...
But rules changed to make it less efficient.

beelsebob

Lurk wrote:Wasn't banned. Team Lotus and Force India have one...
The blade was banned – a wide support was not.

MIKEY_!

I certainly agree that the bodywork around the airbox looks chunkier than the rest of the field. Perhaps it's to do with having the short wheelbase? Maybe they had to shorten (and thicken) the hoop to keep the strength.

Lurk

beelsebob wrote:
Lurk wrote:Wasn't banned. Team Lotus and Force India have one...
The blade was banned – a wide support was not.
You're nitpicking here... :wink:

(I hope it is not pejorative in english, otherwise I'm sorry :oops: )

dren

You nailed it on the head...meaning you got it correct. :)
Honda!

volarchico

I'd figure someone who knows the proper use of "pejorative" has a pretty good grasp on the English language! :D

mith

volarchico wrote:I'd figure someone who knows the proper use of "pejorative" has a pretty good grasp on the English language! :D
Totally off-topic, but there is also very similar word in Polish (pejoratywny), so actually that may be very common word in European languages.

Morteza

mith wrote:
volarchico wrote:I'd figure someone who knows the proper use of "pejorative" has a pretty good grasp on the English language! :D
Totally off-topic, but there is also very similar word in Polish (pejoratywny), so actually that may be very common word in European languages.
More than off-topic! My first language is like this :
من اینطور می نویسم
Nothing like European languages. It is Persian :mrgreen:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

mith

Morteza wrote:
mith wrote:
More than off-topic! My first language is like this :
من اینطور می نویسم
Nothing like European languages. It is Persian :mrgreen:
My bad, I didn't look at your location ;)