Ferrari 150° Italia

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mr Alcatraz

Re: Ferrari 150° Italia

DRCorsa wrote:Besides the sensor. Is there a slot (look at the black arrow) following the mainplane's curve there or it's just me??

I think that is just the gap that allow the DRS system to function. It may be noticable becausr there is not a load on the wing
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

aral
aral

Mr Alcatraz wrote:
DRCorsa wrote:Besides the sensor. Is there a slot (look at the black arrow) following the mainplane's curve there or it's just me??

I think that is just the gap that allow the DRS system to function. It may be noticable becausr there is not a load on the wing
Impossible! It is the UPPER part of the wing that is the movable DRS. Sensor lies at least 10 cms BELOW bottom of fixed wing. Look at position of fastening bolts.

DRCorsa
DRCorsa

Mr Alcatraz wrote:

The gap i am talking about runs on the sideplate exactly at the back of both the mainplane and flap. There is no need for a gap or slot there to allow the DRS to function.

Examining it better i can tell that there is obviously a "see through" slot.
From the mainplane height up to a point lower than the height of the flap there is something black behind, and there is a Ferrari mechanic at the background holding a black briefcase probably.
From there upwards you can clearly see the colour of the pavement.

Onch

jakeconway wrote:Actually looks more like a differential air pressure sensor to me.
It is an accelerometer, probably this one:
http://www.bksv.com/Products/Transducer ... 6A001.aspx
aleksandergreat wrote: Cable is tight atach on the side pod!! So this is quite relevant measurmend
There is about 10cm of loose cable between the connector and the first piece of tape on the endplate. The movement of the cable(s) due to wind at speed is probably of the order of several mm, the resulting flexion will generate parasitic charges and the measured signal will be unusable, or at best very noisy...
These sensors are nice for measuring in a lab, not on the outside of a racecar at 300km/h.
Some info about how to route cables if anyone is interested (though charge accels are anyway not ideal for this particular type of measurement):
http://www.mmf.de/accelerometer_cabling.htm

They probably had to compose with what they had available on the day to do the measurements, but they will certainly have to repeat them...

(edit: typo)

Mr Alcatraz

DRCorsa wrote:
Mr Alcatraz wrote:

The gap i am talking about runs on the sideplate exactly at the back of both the mainplane and flap. There is no need for a gap or slot there to allow the DRS to function.

Examining it better i can tell that there is obviously a "see through" slot.
From the mainplane height up to a point lower than the height of the flap there is something black behind, and there is a Ferrari mechanic at the background holding a black briefcase probably.
From there upwards you can clearly see the colour of the pavement.
OK wild guess is wrong :lol: It would be helpfull to see a rear view.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

aral
aral

What a non-story! There is NO gap. If there was, there would be a visible slot on the LH side, and there isn't. And as for the comment that a mechanic could be holding a brief case? Defies comment really.
The lower plane has to be fixed ridgidly to the end plates, otherwise it could not withstand the forces involved.

DRCorsa
DRCorsa

Well, he could be holding something else, you name it!

The mainplane would still be rigidly attached to the endplates.

I don't insist in my comment. We are discussing, anyway.
But please don't tell me this is a special "paintjob" on the endplate.

wesley123
wesley123

What you are seeing is just the gap between the slot gap spacer and the end plate itself
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

As other posters have said, it is not a slot, it is just the black unpainted carbon fiber. They tend to not paint places that are not seen to save weight (like under the nose and so forth)

PlatinumZealot

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Here is a description of the exhaust ran during testing.

I have seen pictures of this type of exhaust. It think it was used on some of the DTM BMW E30 M3's (That was way back in the eighties). Tried to find back the pictures but no success.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

TheWiseOwl
TheWiseOwl

imightbewrong wrote:As other posters have said, it is not a slot, it is just the black unpainted carbon fiber. They tend to not paint places that are not seen to save weight (like under the nose and so forth)
'imightbewrong'

Indeed, you are wrong.

wesley123
wesley123

No you are wrong. It IS unpainted carbon from the area between the slotgap spacer and the rear wing, has been that way since like Valencia
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Mazdaboy

Watch this video (adjustable rear wing): http://bcove.me/8idmuqz8
Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Ferrari are continuing their work to understand their front wings. First Massa and Alonso are running different configurations with flow-vis:

Then Massa ran the new FW with sensors on the end plate, here you can see the wiring and the sensors: