Sauber C30 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pierce89

Re: Sauber C30 Ferrari

thisisatest wrote:all cars will vary downforce when you start braking. from high speeds, the nose drops to its minimum, diffuser is practically choked, then probably bounces on braking bumps (mostly mclaren). cars with downforce are so non-linear in their responses by default
In F1 cars, the diffuser rarely if ever chokes all the way, due to the step plane.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

PlatinumZealot

scuderiafan wrote:
hardingfv32 wrote:
n smikle wrote:Peter Sauber said this car has been racing WITHOUT the Blown diffuser trick pioneered by the RedBull RB7.
This seems odd... In the video found at http://www.f1talks.pl/?p=11635, labeled factory tour 1 (at the 5:19 point), the mechanic is holding the now standard oval (flattened) exhaust collector used to blow the side of the diffusers by everyone else.

Brian
I think what n smikle means is that Sauber has been racing without the off-throttle EBD.
I meant that they blow over the diffuser like in 2010, instead of using the "cannons" that blow across a strake then into the throat of the diffuser as RedBull, Merc, Ferrari, Mac, TR, Lotus, Williams, HRT and FI are doing this year. I think they have tried the cannons in a race or two though.

On the Off throttle blowing, I think Sauber do have the hot blowing engine mapping though, they just haven't figured out how to properly make the RedBull style diffuser to work, so they just hot blow over the top of the diffuser. I will check a youtube video or two to make sure.

From Scarbs Website:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

thisisatest

raymondu999 wrote:If you set the car up like a"normal" car without the exhaust blowing; then when you go on power you will have understeer. If you set the car up with a bit less rear wing, you will be ok on exit as you have the downforce from the exhaust gasses, but on entry and braking your car will be very unstable.
i thought diffusers created downforce across the length of the floor, so its downforce would only be somewhat rear-biased.

MIKEY_!

Yes but the effect will still be quite noticeable.