Williams FW33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Williams FW33

cossie wrote:Engines are the last thing Williams should worry about, lately they have cars that are dogs, until they are able to make a competitive chassis , they are switching engines every 2-3 years in search of the magic bullet
Since newey left their cars never been anything the only reason they did well was because of the engine in that car, the BMW was simply the best engine on the grid, and showed by 2006 that meant a lot.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

cossie
cossie

Yep your right on that, after BMW left, they were screwed becuse now their problems with their design and areo problems are much more highlighted. Now they think if they can find a majic bullet in an engine all will be well, that's a messed up way of trying to improve a car, and they are very slow right now fixing the car

Petroltorque
Petroltorque

Next year brings in an absolute ban on off throttle exhaust blowing, thus engine performane will be pretty much equalised apart from fuel economy.
Some estimates claim that off throttle EBDS are worth as much as 0.7s gain a lap so that loss will mean that changing to Renault gives no advatage over Cosworth. In addition Williams will face recofiguring their KERS to Renault's engine characteristics.

MIKEY_!

But the Renault engine has better fuel consumption and is better to package apparently.

raymondu999

Petroltorque wrote:Next year brings in an absolute ban on off throttle exhaust blowing, thus engine performane will be pretty much equalised apart from fuel economy.
I'm not sure about you, but engine power, torque curve, drivability, would also constitute part of engine performance. I'm willing to bet there is a bit of difference in those characteristics, though they are so small they're almost negligible.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

Basically all the differences we talked about in 2010 before off throttle blowing.

raymondu999

2009 you mean. But yes I do get your point
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FW17

Think Williams got jinxed with the Rothmans livery (which started off on a bad note itself in 1994). Hope next year they go back a few year and bring back the Camel livery.

Well at least something is going on with QNB - http://www.qnbwilliams.com/

Italiano
Italiano

Yeah. The paintjob is the real problem of this car. Not that it's a hopeless POS.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

Tyler
Tyler

I agree that Williams haven't been that good at creating a good car lately, however I'm sure having the Renault engine this year would have helped.
The Cosworth might not be much different in terms of power but Cosworth didn't develop their off throttle exhaust blowing, which, as we see from the RB7 which was built around this concept, has been a huge factor in terms of performance this year.
I think that if Williams had the Renault engines this year they'd possibly be on a similar performance level to Sauber.
Is it a coincidence that 3 of the bottom 4 teams use Cosworth engines and don't utilise off throttle blowing?
Maybe we'll see these teams in the midfield and a closer midfield in general next year with the banning of EBD's?

Tyler
Tyler

WilliamsF1 wrote:Think Williams got jinxed with the Rothmans livery (which started off on a bad note itself in 1994). Hope next year they go back a few year and bring back the Camel livery.

I don't really see the point of using the colours of a company that is no longer sponsoring your team.
Instead of living in the past, teams should be looking for new sponsors and giving them the benefit of having their colour schemes painted on their cars.

I do miss the days of tobacco company sponsorship though, the cars looked great in their colours but more importantly I'm sure teams like Williams really miss the sponsorship money from them.

It seems much more difficult to get sponsors these days and it's quite sad to see bare patches on cars such as the Williams and Sauber.
It makes me wonder if Williams would be struggling as much as they are now, with the backing of a big cigarette company.

A little bit of encouragement after Abu Dhabi - Barichello did really well to make up 12 places - perhaps if he didn't receive his 10 place grid penalty he may have ended up in the points.

aral
aral

[/quote]
A little bit of encouragement after Abu Dhabi - Barichello did really well to make up 12 places - perhaps if he didn't receive his 10 place grid penalty he may have ended up in the points.[/quote]

Am I missing something? Rubens did not have a 10 place grid penalty. He just did not have a car to qualify in, andd so had to start from the back of the grid.
But it is relatively easy for a mid field car to make up places from the back. Dismiss the six slow cars, add in the retirals, and you will find that Rubens only made up two or three genuine places.

Richard
Richard

Tyler wrote:perhaps if he didn't receive his 10 place grid penalty he may have ended up in the points.
He started on the back row because he didn't take any part in qualifying. He didn't get a penalty because his new engine was within the allowance and before qualifying.

Maldonado got a 10 place penalty for using a 9th engine, so he was at the very back.

raymondu999

Tyler wrote:Is it a coincidence that 3 of the bottom 4 teams use Cosworth engines and don't utilise off throttle blowing?
Maybe we'll see these teams in the midfield and a closer midfield in general next year with the banning of EBD's?
It's more a case that 2 of them are the "class B" teams. In fact the other team is one that switched from cosworth to Renault
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

wesley123
wesley123

WilliamsF1 wrote:Think Williams got jinxed with the Rothmans livery (which started off on a bad note itself in 1994). Hope next year they go back a few year and bring back the Camel livery.

So they have a new main sponsor it seems, would be good for them, now hope the results will be better.

As for the cosworth, Iic it is the engine with the most power, yet it lacks drivability and has more fuel consumption than others. As I said, I am not sure but I believe to have read that a year ago and seems quite plausible
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender