Williams FW33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
forty-two

Re: Williams FW33

mx_tifosi wrote:
Gearbox
... whereas in the past we were down to 8-9mm gears.”
Williams FW33 article
Is this why the teams seem to get so nervous when the drivers have to use reverse?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

humble sabot

This is pretty friggin cool! The front ends of the cars share so much but there's some pretty funky stuff going on further back this year!
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Pandamasque

Oh my... it looks like one of those LWB bikes for drifting :shock:

mrk189

seems slow...
You don't need a licence to drive a sandwich

King Six

I'm pretty certain this car does not have a gearbox, and is infact, driven by magic. That's incredible, seeing the rear wishbone on the wing support like that.

Analysis and pics here:
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/cars/williams-fw33/

:shock: =D>

This car ought to have more than 6 pages of blabber, well at least compared to the unreleased MP4-26...which has about what, 50 pages? What on earth do they talk about? The weather?

Tim.Wright

I'd be interested to know how they addressed the camber compliance issues with the rear wishbone and tie rod mounted on that unsupported titanium beam. Though the pull rod design would be helping the cause here on the outside wheel by reducing the tensile force in the upper link.

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

feynman

King Six wrote:This car ought to have more than 6 pages of blabber
Agree.

The back end of that car is stunning. :shock:
The huge gaping void, the pillar suspension mounts, the crazy driveshaft angles. With a procession of carbon-copy Toyota noses this year, the real interest is to be found round the back.

Hope it doesn't end in tears. Be nice for some old fashioned engineering hardwork to get a reward.

So here's another comment to help boost the miserly page count.

horse

+1 I think the rear end of this car is amazing. Some of the surfaces leading to it still look a little untidy, but there are some great ideas going on here.

What is a little concerning is it's initial pace. It's 3 seconds off at the moment, which ain't great. Early days though, granted.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

747heavy

"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

joseff

Where does the electric motor go? I remember Patrick Head saying it's the size of a loo roll, hanging behind the gearbox... I don't think it can fit under that tiny enclosure.

RacingManiac

Tim.Wright wrote:I'd be interested to know how they addressed the camber compliance issues with the rear wishbone and tie rod mounted on that unsupported titanium beam. Though the pull rod design would be helping the cause here on the outside wheel by reducing the tensile force in the upper link.

Tim

Ditto, I am assuming though that the F1 teams should know what they are doing, but the design doesn't seem conventionally sound....

No denying though it is the coolest thing so far for me this launch season, aside from the R31 exhaust...

humble sabot

It's a pretty fat post. I'm not in a position to calculate it, but i'd guess the deflection is low enough that it's not an issue.

speaking of the weather, we've got about a foot of fresh powder on the ground here in Montreal. Nice little blanket over Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

wrcsti

Finally, a 2011 car that isnt a cookie cutter of the TF110.

thestig84

I too agree. Love looking at the rear, so different! cue-dos to Williams for going for it. A nice shift from recent quite 'playing it safe' designs.

I couldnt believe F1fanatic comments about how boring the car was, only 1 person mentioned the rear! What is worrying is twitter journos saying Rubens looks pretty unhappy and they have a lot of work to do. Times seem to confirm this.

Hope they get on top of any issues.

SiLo

It looks so small, it's amazing, but to me it also looks butt ugly.

Not the paint job though, that is drop dead!
Felipe Baby!