Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Spencifer_Murphy

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

I thought last year's one was big, but thats just ridiculous.

It looks like a basking shark:

:lol:
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Lindz

We have a big discussion going on over in the Renault R31 thread about this. Sorry for cross-posting but I did this illustration for that thread. Since it deals with the RB7 as my 'benchmark' (I happen to love the RB7, but also we're talking about cooling, and both cars run the same Renault engine) I thought maybe some other RB7-philes will enjoy seeing this, too.

raymondu999

It seems to be aimed straight at the beam wing. Is that a deliberate design consideration?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

univex

Jerez Day 1. Good view of extended and flatened exhaust outlet.

Larger Image Here

Lindz

Looks like it's aimed at the slot in the beam wing.

I could see them introducing McLaren- and Renault-style inlets on the engine cover to add a faster airflow into the radiator-exhaust stream (see illsutration above) and in effect 'blow' that slot gap in the beam wing.

I'm sure they've tried that behind closed doors, curious why they wouldn't test it in real life... maybe the parts aren't ready and this is an interim 'proof of concept'.

Anyways, I can't wait to see the developments RBR come up with for this thing. It's packaging is simply beautiful.

univex

AutoSport Live:10:43 More on that subject from AUTOSPORT news editor @glenn_autosport: "Re/ Exhaust notes: The Ferrari and Red Bull sound noticeably different. Ferrari makes such a deep noise, almost like it's dropped a cylinder

Blackout

Cool illustrations. Lindz
I think the RB7 also has little sidepod outlets similar to the R31 but smaller and extended to the diffuser. Look closer in the area around the Gbox and the area under the rear crash structure. You will see some kind of tunnels and two holes.

Edit

Lindz

Good call Blackout, I forgot about those since so much concentration has been on the exhausts!

Looks like that is definitely an outlet for some cooling element. Could be transmission/diff oil cooler, KERS, split radiator outlet, some channels fed by hidden inlets somewhere... haha I'm just going off the top of my head.

Do you think they can evolve that so those outlets eventually blow the starter hole/slot, while also keeping their EBD?

raymondu999

Red Bull is finless again today: http://www.flickr.com/photos/f1photos/5432831619/
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

imightbewrong

from another site:
click for high-res

segedunum

I can't get over just how much space they have to work with compared to other teams.

Also, note how their sidepod and engine cover bodywork curves inwards in a way that no other car does.

raymondu999

Really? I would've thought there was more clear air in the FW33's rear. Of course, I'm not saying it's fast, just that it's got a tight rear.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mandrake

segedunum wrote:I can't get over just how much space they have to work with compared to other teams.

Also, note how their sidepod and engine cover bodywork curves inwards in a way that no other car does.
Yes the flow of the bodywork is plainly amazing, the way it all seems to be a fluid shape without edges and sharp bends is striking and definetly unique

imightbewrong

segedunum wrote:I can't get over just how much space they have to work with compared to other teams.

It is mighty tight back there. But I think it is partly a design philosophy. Looks like they are placing more parts on the center line but higher up in the car, thus making it very thin, but quite high. Compare to the Ferrari in this animated png:

But it still doesn't make up for how tight the RBR is, they have some true packaging geniuses there.

Edit: Damn, the more that I look at that animation, the more similar i think the cars are. All from the vanes under the nose to the tightness at the back. The RBR looks more "vacuum" packaged though. And the pullrods.

Mandrake

imightbewrong wrote:It is mighty tight back there. But I think it is partly a design philosophy. Looks like they are placing more parts on the center line but higher up in the car, thus making it very thin, but quite high. Compare to the Ferrari in this animated png:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/6SIHi.png[img]

But it still doesn't make up for how tight the RBR is, they have some true packaging geniuses there.
If you look past the big cooling hole in the back, it doesn't seem that much higher packed in the center. Which is even more astounding!