Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

:roll:
For Sure!!

aral
aral

Can we not get back to discussing technical matters, please.

ringo

Notice that gap through the floor between turning vane and sidepod?

Why is the floor like that there?
For Sure!!

timbo
timbo

Managing vortices I guess.

wrcsti
wrcsti

looks like it might let the air from the barge board help seal off the floor

aral
aral

wrcsti wrote:looks like it might let the air from the barge board help seal off the floor
Unfortunately ther is NO gap. What may be confusing you is the the fact that this is part of the bargeboard, covered with spatter. Enlarge the picture and you will see clearly.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

The leading edge of the splitter, which the bottom of the (#2 marked) barge board mounts to, does not connect to the main body. There is a slot or gap formed between the splitter and the main body. It can be seen in other photos.

The leading edge (rear most edge) of the slot has a foil shape that would support the vortex generating theory.

Brian

aral
aral

hardingfv32 wrote:The leading edge of the splitter, which the bottom of the (#2 marked) barge board mounts to, does not connect to the main body. There is a slot or gap formed between the splitter and the main body. It can be seen in other photos.

The leading edge (rear most edge) of the slot has a foil shape that would support the vortex generating theory.

Brian
Sorry, but i have blown up the photo by 600%, and there is no sign of any hole in the floor. Photos of the car on a crane do not show any hole in this position. Photos from the front also show the shape of the bargeboard, and this corresponds with the position as described by me.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Is the splitter that the bottom of the #2 barge board mounted to what you are calling the floor?

You can see through to the ground just to the lower left of the red #2.

Btian

MIKEY_!

Are the cutouts in the step plane the holes you are talking about?

thisisatest
thisisatest

hardingfv32 wrote:You can see through to the ground just to the lower left of the red #2.
if you zoom in, you will notice the splatter pattern resembles the gravel on the ground, but isn't quite the same. it is actually dirt splattered on the tail end of the bargeboard. there is no hole.
it fooled me too.

ringo

It's not dirt splattered on the floor. The edges are too sharp and there are shadows on the ground through the gap.
It's more than likely the piece hanging on the splitter came from that part of the floor. Or another piece elsewhere.

If it is that the car was intentionally made with that cutout for this race alone, then it's quite interesting why they would do that.
For Sure!!

thisisatest
thisisatest

if that is not the bargeboard, then where IS the bargeboard?
looking at MIKEY!'s pic, on the left (the car's right) bargeboard, you can see as the bargeboard passes behind the turning vane, there is splatter on the end. also note how long the bargeboard is, and how far back relative to the turning vane it goes.

any intentional horizontal hole will break the flat floor rule.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

thisisatest wrote:if you zoom in, you will notice the splatter pattern resembles the gravel on the ground, but isn't quite the same. it is actually dirt splattered on the tail end of the bargeboard. there is no hole. it fooled me too.
Your absolutely right. Maybe it is just the end of the "Rauch" barge board pitted from rocks during the excursion.

Brian

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

hope this helps clear it up =D i was baffled for ages but after drawing the lines it made sense haha