Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
munudeges
munudeges

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

The RB7's engine cover was always interesting to me and really quite obvious. You always saw the bodywork on the RB7 channelling to somewhere else.

ringo

I wouldn't say it's obvious.
It has not been copied, and it hasn't inspired other designs. Doubt we'd see it next year either.
There is more to the engine cover, more critical to the downforce but i'll tease those out little by little.
For Sure!!

siwillems
siwillems

Very interesting work Ringo. If you don't mind me enquiring do you have a link to F1 or any of the teams in the padock :?:
Da de dum, de da da dum.
Da de dum, de da da duh!!!

Tozza Mazza

ringo wrote:The aerodynamic features of the RB7 that resulted in its dominamce are; What i deduce at least:
The fundamental chassis design.
The splitter channels.
Front wing design.
The holes that are situated along the gearbox.
among other things.
You're correct about the way the splitter joins the sidepod. The Red Bull RB7 has by far the cleanest design in this area. It's nice and smooth and aerofoil shaped, to keep the flow attached.

What about the rest of the sidepod? I have noticed that on your design, which you have said yourself is heavily influenced by RB7, the sidepod design is 'unusual' to say the least, in the way it joins up with the rest of the car at the back of the sidepod. What is the advantage of this design, and does RB7 make use of it?

I don't get why you don't just tell these secrets you say you know! What advantage does holding them back give anyone? This is a forum for sharing and discussing technical know how, let us!!! :D

dan
dan

heres a picture of the mclaren floor

ringo

I am limited to smart phone access right now, by monday I will continue. About the side pods shape, its mostly the fuel tank size, the engine size and gearbox widrth and length why the sidepods look so dramatic. I only left enough room for the air to evacuate. There is no unecessary. Shaping for looks or tradition. By monday ill show precisely what the shape is and why its superior in downforce and why its pitch behavior is predictable and almost insensitive to pitch. I don't have any links to F1 by the way. Just a simple engineer who likes f1 cars.
For Sure!!

volarchico
volarchico

ringo wrote:...by monday I will continue.
It's Tuesday! :wink:

ringo

Was hoping to pay my internet bill by now! :lol:
I'm at work and i cant really find the time to come on F1 tech and make big posts.
Wednesday then. :P
For Sure!!

ringo

Where was i again?

Oh yeah next feature is the 2 holes by the gearbox. Scarbs was suggesting this was for blowing the diffuser. Initially i though this may not be so because at those heights from the top of the floor, the air speed is pretty low and the flow is mediocre at best.
What i have come to realize is that those 2 holes work at their best when the car pitches down.
It is at that time where diffuser flow becomes critical. The increased diffuser angle acts against the flow staying attached to the surface.
With all that rake, and when the nose pitches, those holes are more vertical and they collect air pretty easy. They probably get a little ram effect going as well.
This air goes to the starter hole, not necessarily to increase downforce, but to maintain it.
We can probably deduce that the car is very stable under braking and has smooth downforce transitions under pitch. In fact the holes could allow them to use a little more rake as well.
For Sure!!

scarlet
scarlet

Another interesting concept, thanks for that Ringo. Though I guess this will have less bearing on design for the upcoming year, if teams are unable to run similar rake levels due to the loss of the ebd's?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

They didn't have those hole at the beginning of the year though and still had a lot of rake. Maybe it helps as you say under braking for stability.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

ringo

Next innovation is........

The use of the ellipse. Most people don't know this, but the ellipse is the most efficient aerodynamic shape. It has to do with aerodynamic loading along the length of a load bearing surface.
It's a shape unlike the rectancle where the ellipse only has as much surface as is required to get the maximum use out of.
A wing cannot make full use of a rectangular profile in all attitudes. For a delta profile, it lacks surface. Between the rectangle and a delta shape, there is the ellipse.
This is really a relationship between wing loading and wing area. The vortices are also less on the ellipse.

This little gem is used all over the RB7. If you look on the front wings you will notice that the curves are elliptical. A very beautiful curve, but it's not about looks. The underside of the wing makes this even more clear.

This shape is also optimal in any orientation. Engine air intake, the radiator cooling exit at the back of the car, for example. Look on what shape redbull use. This is old school aero knowledge, used when planes stall characteristics were critical due the craft being completely controlled by human hnads but it still holds. We dont see it as prevalently but it's still used in front view of some of the new passgenger planes.

Not only does the ellipse work, but even segments of this shape. Pagani uses this on his super cars. It's not a state secret, but i kinda liked having that little gem to use on my car design. Everyone will be using it now. :cry:

There are a few more things and shapes with the sidepods, but i'll say later.

ellipse examples:

front wing elements

intake:

cooling exit:
For Sure!!

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Anymore insight into the RB7 your willing to share Ringo?
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

flynfrog

Ringo,

I am not seeing really any ellipses in any of the pictures you are posting. Could paint an outline on them. Maybe Im just not understanding you correctly.

The elliptical wings was used on WWII era planes from a top view. For an airfoil shape an ellipse is not a bad front third of the airfoil but you really need a longer and sharper tail to get a clean separation.

Also an ellipse is not the most aerodynamic shape. That depends on the speed and viscosity.

raymondu999

I could be wrong; but I think Ringo means the cross-section of the wing flaps?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法