Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

It's the shorter fuel tank i tell yous !!

Allows the engine and exhaust manifolds to be deeper into the wider part of teardrop shape.
For Sure!!

Florio

ringo wrote:It's the shorter fuel tank i tell yous !!

Allows the engine and exhaust manifolds to be deeper into the wider part of teardrop shape.
Is the Renault really that efficient? They have quite a small gearbox design as well don't they?

Just_a_fan

imightbewrong wrote:from another site:
Look at the area in the red circle just behind the exhaust - that's tarmac visible through the floor. In the upper picture there is an extension piece covering this "hole".

Hello fully-blown diffuser!

Tricky blighters these Red Bull chaps...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

segedunum

That's what I was expecting before the car launched - a more fully connected diffuser/exhaust system.

Just_a_fan

Thing is, if it's legal to do that, why not just make it in to a full double deck exhaust driven diffuser?

Indeed, I'm amazed if it is legal. And if it is, why not make more of it?

I had originally wondered if the Renault had something similar before we saw the front exhaust exits.

I see the McLaren has a similar lump on its floor plate so maybe they're doing the same thing as the RB. If so, those two could have stolen a march on the others (although the others could implement something similar quite quickly I would think).

King Six

Looks like they were testing without the neutered shark fin. They cut the tail off the bull.

Before:

---

Such a smooth rear end, would love to see the Williams in that same angle though

ell66

i cant believe how quickly them side pods come in!
and like stated above, they have so much space around the floor its crazy.

zgred

AbbaleRacing77

It's legal... Because technically its not a hole in the floor. Remember last year when Ferrari made the shark fins vents part of the exhaust holes with those little tiny slits? Kinda the same concept but different. I'll put 5 bucks on the fact that red bull will claim that it's not an opening but just the shape of the outer edge of the floor because the opening runs to the outer edge. Newey will respond to accusations by saying there's no holes! Just a few chunks missing!

It's so simple! What a slap in the face to the FIA and Renault after developing such a complex exhaust

ringo

Florio wrote:
ringo wrote:It's the shorter fuel tank i tell yous !!

Is the Renault really that efficient? They have quite a small gearbox design as well don't they?
The length of the tank doesn't have to be linked with the fuel efficiency. The redbull tank is probably the same volume as any Mercedes or Ferrari powered car and carries the same amount of fuel. The reduction in length is compensated by an increase in width or height, or whatever dimensions the tank has.

Getting the exhaust manifolds out of the way allows the side pods to terminate earlier.

Looking at the mclaren, they actually have the tank much longer in order that they have a narrow frontal area. So it's basically the same volume of fuel among the teams, only in different shapes according to their needs.
For Sure!!

forty-two

zgred wrote:Image

I'd imagine that would blow hot exhaust gases right into the rear wheels. There even appears to be a vane to direct it in that direction. Unless of course the inboard tyre squash outwash counters this somehow?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

AbbaleRacing77

It's not blowing into the wheel. The floor is just cut that way to expose the loop hole. Ironically the loop hole is to not make it a hole at all but infact make it into a different and complex shaped floor that allows air to pass. The exhaust is blowing half under the floor and half over the top of the floor just like the Renault except in the back. Much better way of doing it.

mx_tifoso

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Just_a_fan

AbbaleRacing77 wrote:It's legal... Because technically its not a hole in the floor. Remember last year when Ferrari made the shark fins vents part of the exhaust holes with those little tiny slits? Kinda the same concept but different. I'll put 5 bucks on the fact that red bull will claim that it's not an opening but just the shape of the outer edge of the floor because the opening runs to the outer edge. Newey will respond to accusations by saying there's no holes! Just a few chunks missing!

It's so simple! What a slap in the face to the FIA and Renault after developing such a complex exhaust
That's sort of what I was thinking too. As you say, it's not a "hole" but a "not floor".

Expect to see it either challenged or copied very quickly...

I had actually thought that this could be done using the McLaren floor cut out from two years ago. Just direct the exhaust down at the front of the floor. A bit like Renault's method at the front but in a much more sensible position.

I think there's a lot more to be made of this sort of thing.

AbbaleRacing77

Exactly, that's why they have to route the exhaust to the edge of the diffuser