Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Raptor22
Raptor22

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

AbbaleRacing77 wrote:It's legal... Because technically its not a hole in the floor. Remember last year when Ferrari made the shark fins vents part of the exhaust holes with those little tiny slits? Kinda the same concept but different. I'll put 5 bucks on the fact that red bull will claim that it's not an opening but just the shape of the outer edge of the floor because the opening runs to the outer edge. Newey will respond to accusations by saying there's no holes! Just a few chunks missing!

It's so simple! What a slap in the face to the FIA and Renault after developing such a complex exhaust

Bingo, finally someone is on the same page. Now extend the exhaust cover to the wing end plate and hey presto it s a fully enclosed blown diffuser.

Fully Legal!!

Blackout

?
How can you compare this exhaust system to the Renault system ? they are complete different philosophies.

Boost
Boost

Just_a_fan wrote:
AbbaleRacing77 wrote:It's legal... Because technically its not a hole in the floor. Remember last year when Ferrari made the shark fins vents part of the exhaust holes with those little tiny slits? Kinda the same concept but different. I'll put 5 bucks on the fact that red bull will claim that it's not an opening but just the shape of the outer edge of the floor because the opening runs to the outer edge. Newey will respond to accusations by saying there's no holes! Just a few chunks missing!

It's so simple! What a slap in the face to the FIA and Renault after developing such a complex exhaust
That's sort of what I was thinking too. As you say, it's not a "hole" but a "not floor".

Expect to see it either challenged or copied very quickly...

I had actually thought that this could be done using the McLaren floor cut out from two years ago. Just direct the exhaust down at the front of the floor. A bit like Renault's method at the front but in a much more sensible position.

I think there's a lot more to be made of this sort of thing.

Don't even think it is really a loop hole. The rules allow openings in the outer 5cm of the diffuser as covered by Scarbs

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

Blackout wrote:?
How can you compare this exhaust system to the Renault system ? they are complete different philosophies.
I wasn't comparing the two. I was saying that it was a slap in the face because renault worked so hard to produce that complex exhaust system while redbull fitted a simple and easy solution to create a similar result.

Lindz

Also, it's not like they are trying to squeeze all the exhaust flow into the outer 5cm of a normal diffuser. They are playing around with just getting rid of the outer 5cm all together. Feeding the exhaust in both to energize and increase flow, and possibly (depending on what vanes they play around with) using the exhaust to 'rebuild' the outermost fence with some fluidic-skirt-ing?

Blackout

AbbaleRacing77 wrote:
Blackout wrote:?
I wasn't comparing the two. I was saying that it was a slap in the face because renault worked so hard to produce that complex exhaust system while redbull fitted a simple and easy solution to create a similar result.
A similar result ? hmmm but we don't know yet how the Renault idea works: how the gazes are reacting with the air, the floor, the tires and the diffuser...

RAF
RAF

zgred wrote:

That picture, when I first saw it, says to me that Red Bull will be dominant again this year and that bar reliability problems/driver problems, they will be the class of the field.

I am not saying that this will definitely happen. I am just telling you the first thing my brain thought when I saw it. I don't even know why, I think it just looks right and better than anything anyone else has come up with.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Looks easy to copy.

djos

Diesel wrote:Looks easy to copy.
If it was so easy everyone would have such an amazing rear end and sculpted side pods!
"In downforce we trust"

myurr
myurr

djos wrote:
Diesel wrote:Looks easy to copy.
If it was so easy everyone would have such an amazing rear end and sculpted side pods!
Or that isn't the only valid design...

JaymzVsTheWorld
JaymzVsTheWorld

That rear end is sexy and simple looking. Wonderful packaging as usual from Newey.

zgred

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

It's not working, that's why nobody is copying it. Let's face it, Renault appear to have got it right, Red Bull were too conservative. They are going to spend the rest of the year playing catchup.

JaymzVsTheWorld
JaymzVsTheWorld

Diesel wrote:It's not working, that's why nobody is copying it. Let's face it, Renault appear to have got it right, Red Bull were too conservative. They are going to spend the rest of the year playing catchup.
I seemed to have a lapse in my SOH there then lol sorry.
Last edited by JaymzVsTheWorld on 12 Feb 2011, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I think he was taking the mickey out of seg - it's what he says in every other car topic on here...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.