Comparison of all 2011 cars

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
myurr
myurr

Comparison of all 2011 cars

The 2012 comparison thread is here :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=304177

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to FrukostScones for supplying the raw pictures in another thread.

I've aligned all the cars, resized based on front wheel size, aligned the front wheels and rotate so that the cars are roughly level (i.e. no rake). I've then marked the nose, tail, and centre lines of the wheels on the McLaren so that you can compare the sizes across all the cars.

What I find most interesting is how long the Red Bull is compared to the Ferrari, with the McLaren somewhere in between. Makes me think that a large part of the visual impact of the rear of the Red Bull in relation to the Ferrari is purely down to the length of the respective cars.

volarchico
volarchico

Re: Comparison of all 2011 cars

From that view, the Mercedes is the shortest by a fair amount.

raymondu999

And Red Bull, the longest. Which confused me, as they were just about the shortest last year.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

myurr
myurr

raymondu999 wrote:And Red Bull, the longest. Which confused me, as they were just about the shortest last year.
Nah, they were one of the longest last year. But yes that Mercedes is really short.

Morteza

myurr wrote:
Nah, they were one of the longest last year. But yes that Mercedes is really short.
That's right. RB6 was one of the longest cars last year. W01 was one of the shortest cars on grid(maybe even the shortest), and it seems that W02 has inherited that quality as well.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

myurr
myurr

So in summary:

The McLaren, Renault, Williams, Force India, and Lotus are all pretty much the same wheelbase.
Ferrari, Mercedes, Sauber, and Torro Rosso are all slightly shorter (with Mercedes being a fair bit shorter).
Red Bull is longer.

luca
luca

Nice job myurr!
I hope Mercedes won't struggle because of this choice (remember last year).
The car looks a lot shorter than the mean car.

paipa
paipa

Very nice comparison. The Red Bull image is scaled noticeably larger though, I've measured it in a couple of ways (front/rear rim diameters, rear wing/body height) and I found it's scaled at about 104-106% of the McLaren, in which case its wheelbase is in fact a bit shorter than the McLaren's.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Wheres the Virgin???

bhall
bhall

ESPImperium wrote:Wheres the Virgin???
If I had a nickel for every time I've had that very thought...

humble sabot

doesn't generally cross my mind.
"Where's the good looking one?" on the otherhand!
But this year we don't have that issue, definitely a few really nice cars!
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Pierce89

i think the RB7 looks so long because it's a slightly larger picture. It's tires look larger than the rest, meaning a larger picture scince tires are identical.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

raymondu999

Aren't there hard and fast wheelbase length specs we can see on this?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

myurr
myurr

If someone wants to make some adjustments, the original psd that I created is here: http://www.pureinnovation.com/images/f1.psd

klthomas

I played with the pic in Gimp. It appears that the Red Bull was indeed a couple of pixels larger.
I lined all the hubs and checked all scales at 800% and it appears the Red Bull has the same wheelbase as the McLaren.