Comparison of all 2011 cars

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Formula None
Formula None

Re: Comparison of all 2011 cars

Considering that they couldn't possibly evaluate all the potential forms available to them, some amount of subjective decision would have to take place, I think. Strictly speaking of bodywork.

WhiteBlue

I think it is also legitimate to compare all cars by the performance/reliability they have shown at the races expressed by the points they made.

It looks to me like Red Bull and McLaren are playing in a league of their own. Ferrari are substantially behind in terms of yield in all three races so far.

An interesting point of comparison is the performance of Ferrari, Renault and Mercedes. In the first two races it appeared as if Renault would be able to take a challenge to Ferrari for third place. With the Chinese GP that has changed and it looks like Mercedes will become the biggest threat to Ferrari's ambitions on third place. That, btw is also the way the betting money looks at it. Merc has the more stable finances and are seen as superior to Renault.

Personally I expect them to battle Ferrari for third throughout the season. I'm no great believer in a Ferrari revival which would put them back into the WCC or WDC race with the Red Bull, McLaren, Vettel and Hamilton.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Giblet
Giblet

Don't forget WB that James Key started at Ferrari on just the 1st of this month. His influence will not be felt immediately.

Now consider what he did with the Force India two years ago, and then consider what he did to help Sauber last year. Both situations he was monumental in their upswings of performance.

Him and Alonso's good development track record are why I don't think it's worthy to write them off yet.

Also, consider that Key was involved int he rear end design that Ferrari and Sauber share, so he alreayd has a very good working knowledge of at least half the car.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

kakogohrena
kakogohrena

China, race:

with slider

sknguy
sknguy

I'm interested in the way each chassis treats it's tires. Both Massa and Alonso have both been among the tops in terms of in-race sector times. In spurts, the Ferrari's have looked really quick. But I'm wondering how each of the Ferrari's performances may change with tire wear.

I've looked around a bit to find a place that has a record of lap times for each race, and types of tires that were in use. But if anyone knows I'd appreciate it. I'm interested in comparing if there are performance differences among the teams over the course of tire wear/lap times. Is it all driving style or chassis? Anyway, I'll keep looking.

CyleB

check under the F1 races section here on f1 tech forums under race data it might be there
Look mama I'm going fast- Ricky Bobby

raymondu999

well pitstop summaries are available on F1.com, and f1fanatic.co.uk usually has a record of all the laptimes. It's pretty clear from there to see where they stopped on the laptime charts as the laptimes spike up abnormally. F1.com used to have a live timing archive but I can't seem to find it nowadays. But I'm not sure where the "what tyre was he on?" data can be found
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

kakogohrena
kakogohrena

Ferrari tire strategy? It's easy

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/news/ ... gy-is-key/

Massa: S S (15) H (33)
Alonso: S S (16) H (33)

Lap Chart: link

Graf: link

bot6
bot6

Giblet wrote:Don't forget WB that James Key started at Ferrari on just the 1st of this month. His influence will not be felt immediately.

Now consider what he did with the Force India two years ago, and then consider what he did to help Sauber last year. Both situations he was monumental in their upswings of performance.

Him and Alonso's good development track record are why I don't think it's worthy to write them off yet.

Also, consider that Key was involved int he rear end design that Ferrari and Sauber share, so he alreayd has a very good working knowledge of at least half the car.
... I'm pretty sure Key is still at Sauber... :?

marekk
marekk

WhiteBlue wrote: An interesting point of comparison is the performance of Ferrari, Renault and Mercedes. In the first two races it appeared as if Renault would be able to take a challenge to Ferrari for third place. With the Chinese GP that has changed and it looks like Mercedes will become the biggest threat to Ferrari's ambitions on third place. That, btw is also the way the betting money looks at it. Merc has the more stable finances and are seen as superior to Renault.
Petrov was quicker in Q2 then ferrari and merc, race pace of renaults was not bad either, and at the end of very long 3rd stint tyres looked still good.
I think R31 is still 3rd quickest car on the grid, and they seem to have good cfd/wind tunnel/race track data correlation.

WhiteBlue

bot6 wrote:
Giblet wrote:Don't forget WB that James Key started at Ferrari on just the 1st of this month. His influence will not be felt immediately.

... I'm pretty sure Key is still at Sauber... :?
Yep, Sauber web site name him as technnical director today. Perhaps the esteemed moderator meant Pat Fry.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

HampusA

marekk wrote:I think R31 is still 3rd quickest car on the grid, and they seem to have good cfd/wind tunnel/race track data correlation.
Based on what?
The truth will come out...

beelsebob
beelsebob

marekk wrote:I think R31 is still 3rd quickest car on the grid, and they seem to have good cfd/wind tunnel/race track data correlation.
I have no idea how you'd come to this conclusion. The RBR, McLaren and now Ferrari are all clearly faster than them. The only significant remaining question is whether the Merc is, I'd lean towards yes.

marekk
marekk

Guys, my prevoius post is almost a month old now - obviously the situation after Turkey looks slightly different.

Not the typical Renault track though, so i still belive they manage to do better in Barcelona, and even more so in Monaco.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, other cars in front of Renault are driven by 4 WDC, no 2010's rookies and last minute substitute drivers - could make difference IMO.

Formula None
Formula None