Race classification rules

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Polka489

Race classification rules

In an extreme case wherein both drivers finished the grand prix at the same time. (Meaning going identical on thousandths of a second), What process is done to determine the winner based on Sporting rules. Can they check the timing results on the hundred thousandths of a second, Is that even possible? Does F1 timing system goes beyond thousandths of a second just like what the data shows on timing apps and television? Was there any case in the past where both drivers crossed the checkered flag at the same time and how to they determine the winner. I think it happened before but in qualifying in 1997 European GP in Jarama, where Villenueve, Schumacher and Frentzen all set identical lap times to the thousandths of a second, and they determined the position at the order where they set their laps first. What about the rules on the race. Would they rely on Photo finish?

zac510

Re: Race classification rules

I'm sure you can find this in the Sporting Regulations on the FIA website.

Moose

7.1 Prizes and points awarded for all the positions of competitors who tie, will be added together and shared equally.

Gaz.

This happened in Sportcars, the winner was determined by the starting position, as driver A started something like 3rd, and driver B somewhere like 17th, driver B was deemed to have traveled further so was declared the winner. I think it may have been Peugeot's Le Man win when they tried to get a photo finish.
Forza Jules

Jolle

Gaz. wrote:This happened in Sportcars, the winner was determined by the starting position, as driver A started something like 3rd, and driver B somewhere like 17th, driver B was deemed to have traveled further so was declared the winner. I think it may have been Peugeot's Le Man win when they tried to get a photo finish.
Not having exactly, something like that happened with one of the GT40 winnings because the 24h of Les Mans is not who finished first but the most distance in the 24h. The distance between 1 and 2 on the finish line was smaller then the distance when they started the race.