2020 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 10-12 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SAEED

Re: 2020 Grosser Preis der Steiermark - Spielberg, 10 - 12 July

Moore77 wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 07:24
LM10 wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 07:14
Jolle wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 22:33

With that handling..... and the history of both drivers in the wet... nah... with rain it will be a Hamilton-Verstappen masterclass
Which history for Leclerc? He's been in F1 for 2 seasons. One of them in a midfield car and the second one in a dragster.
And to be honest, I also don't know how exactly Vettel is known for being bad in the wet.
Leclerc pulled a stunning lap in Q2 of 2018 Brazil GP qualifying with Sauber. Team wanted him to abort as it was wetter than earlier and there was no chance of improving. But he insisted to go for one more lap and went for it and stunningly, improved to 7th place and went in Q1. Hockeinheim was just a honest mistake in a place where it was impossible for controlling the car in that last corner even with a small mistake.
Happens to the best. Schumacher in Monaco 1996?

f1316

SAEED wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 19:54
Moore77 wrote:
LM10 wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 07:14

Which history for Leclerc? He's been in F1 for 2 seasons. One of them in a midfield car and the second one in a dragster.
And to be honest, I also don't know how exactly Vettel is known for being bad in the wet.
Leclerc pulled a stunning lap in Q2 of 2018 Brazil GP qualifying with Sauber. Team wanted him to abort as it was wetter than earlier and there was no chance of improving. But he insisted to go for one more lap and went for it and stunningly, improved to 7th place and went in Q1. Hockeinheim was just a honest mistake in a place where it was impossible for controlling the car in that last corner even with a small mistake.
Hamilton in the same exact race?

BosF1

f1316 wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 21:41
SAEED wrote:
Moore77 wrote:
No wonder Hamilton didn't get to the end of that race. He was 11 years old at the time.

f1316

Very good... I meant same as Leclerc :P

langedweil

Wynters wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 16:47
Mansell89 wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 16:43
Tremendous to see F1 on free to air television.

I really hope Liberty see the importance and give some free to air coverage back to the UK. I wouldn’t mind Sky as much if they actually did an awesome job. Crofty is a really annoying commentator
I'd miss Brundle, but I'd happily never turn on Sky Sports again if I had an alternative. It's just so mind-numbingly, insultingly inane.
If you feel Sky is numbingly inane, then (besides the language) never turn to the dutch Ziggo .. it'll make you murderous.
HuggaWugga !

langedweil

bill shoe wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 19:46
etusch wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 20:09
Oh my God! This track looks very similar to the track last week race track.
Yea, it's just another Tilke-drome, they all look alike. :) :)
=D> =D>
HuggaWugga !

the EDGE

Wynters wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 16:47
Mansell89 wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 16:43
Tremendous to see F1 on free to air television.

I really hope Liberty see the importance and give some free to air coverage back to the UK. I wouldn’t mind Sky as much if they actually did an awesome job. Crofty is a really annoying commentator
I'd miss Brundle, but I'd happily never turn on Sky Sports again if I had an alternative. It's just so mind-numbingly, insultingly inane.
I wouldn't miss Brundle 1 little bit... but I agree Sky coverage is dreadful. the only thing that use to liven it up was Ted, but he's not even allowed to interview anyone at the moment.

F1 coverage was at its pinnacle on BBC, C4 was okay but Sky as you say is mind numbingly boring. I couldn't even watch the pre-show Sunday, it just constantly switched between COVID 19 & Black Lives Matter. I support BLM (but condemn protest on the grounds of disrespectful to the dead in the present climate), but when I put sport on TV is expect sport... not politics & Health

El Scorchio

It’s all just fluff. I normally just turn on for grid walk onwards. Seen as that’s not happening for now, I’ll just turn on 5 minutes before the race starts.

Wynters

El Scorchio wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 10:55
It’s all just fluff. I normally just turn on for grid walk onwards. Seen as that’s not happening for now, I’ll just turn on 5 minutes before the race starts.
That's my defence as well. Turn on for the formation lap, turn off once the radios start celebrating the win. It means I only have to put up with Croft.

I suppose it's interesting how hard Sky and Liberty (and, I assume, the other channels) work to present F1 as something it isn't. Reality TV story lines, the facade of gladiatorial combat between individual drivers, careful chosen and vetted snippets of radio to rile up the fan bases (the human brain is attracted by divisiveness as any perusal of media will amply demonstrate), endless snippet interviews with PR machines* so we can 'get to know the drivers', the repeated calls for constant neck-and-neck racing on the track and the artificial mechanisms to try and force it, etc, etc.

*I'm dreading the day Norris says something even slightly controversial and, of course, the media will blow it up and he'll have to become a PR machine too...

Unc1eM0nty

I thought the tyre allocation for the 2nd races were different ?

or did I imagine this.

kistigun

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 11:29
I thought the tyre allocation for the 2nd races were different ?

or did I imagine this.
apparently only in Silverstone

Unc1eM0nty

that sucks, here's hoping for wet qually or race then.

maxxer

f1316 wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 21:41
SAEED wrote:
Moore77 wrote:
Vettel hockenheim

El Scorchio

Wynters wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 11:15
El Scorchio wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 10:55
That's my defence as well. Turn on for the formation lap, turn off once the radios start celebrating the win. It means I only have to put up with Croft.

I suppose it's interesting how hard Sky and Liberty (and, I assume, the other channels) work to present F1 as something it isn't. Reality TV story lines, the facade of gladiatorial combat between individual drivers, careful chosen and vetted snippets of radio to rile up the fan bases (the human brain is attracted by divisiveness as any perusal of media will amply demonstrate), endless snippet interviews with PR machines* so we can 'get to know the drivers', the repeated calls for constant neck-and-neck racing on the track and the artificial mechanisms to try and force it, etc, etc.

*I'm dreading the day Norris says something even slightly controversial and, of course, the media will blow it up and he'll have to become a PR machine too...
Absolutely- it's all about trying to drag casual/new viewers in with those features and endless talking heads and interviews rather than appealing to some of the more hardcore fans, (although i think they do a good job of building up the 15 minutes or so before a race start) and also it's very important for ad revenues for the broadcaster to have lengthy pre and post race shows. Anything live will get so many more viewers than if they shoved on library programming until 10 minutes before the race. It doesn't really cost the a great deal more to broadcast for longer from the track seen as most of the costs are the same regardless of how long you broadcast for. If they can eke out a 90 minute (ish) race into a 4 hour event, then they are making a hell of a lot more money. Unfortunately that does mean a lot of chat and fluff. But that's with all sports rather than just F1.

I like to look at it that it might capture more new viewers and keep the sport as popular as it can be, even if i don't really watch it myself!

zibby43

Per Albert Fabrega, Merc was able to address its gearbox sensor issues. No gearbox-related penalties are necessary.