Monaco GP 2011 - Monte Carlo

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
HampusA

Re: Monaco GP 2011 - Monte Carlo

oops double clicked the post button.
The truth will come out...

beelsebob

andrew wrote:
Shrieker wrote:
Having seen further footage not available to me in commentary, I do think that Lewis was treated harshly in the incident involving Pastor Maldonado, although that penalty didn't affect his sixth place. He was all over the back of Maldonado's weaving Williams down the pit straight and he should not have been surprised to have Hamilton moving alongside him into the corner. He should have left more space or covered the inside better. I would not have penalised Lewis in this incident.
Oh there's a surprise. I mentioned the usual bias of the British pundits and was binned for it. Looks like I was right again. :roll:

Brundle is wrong in my opinion. What he is basically saying is that Maldonado should have jumped out of the way becayse Hamilton was behind him. I forgot about Hamilton's God given right to be infornt of everyone. How could I have missed that in the official rules?!

Having read pages and pages of opinions on various sites nothing can convince me that this incident was the fault of anyone other than Hamilton.
He's not saying Maldonado should have jumped out the way, he's saying maldonado should have known he was there, and not dived straight for the apex. When people are passing you you can't turn straight into them – you can defend, you can make a counter attack, but you can't turn straight into them.

zeph

Whoa, nearly 30 pages of going in circles and adding nothing new to the argument, let alone convincing one another.

I would love to have you guys on the payroll.

HampusA

you actually read through it so i guess that says something about you aswell ;)
The truth will come out...

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

zeph wrote:I would love to have you guys on the payroll.
I'd love to be on a payroll of any kind at the moment!

Ciro Pabón

ringo wrote:I am a Maldonado fan, as i live in the latin american region. But i guess the islands aren't latin enough eh??

Massa moved twice. And the guy is simply a stumbling block. The FIA needs to have a word with him.
He will do that throughout the year to Hamilton or Button specifically.
You can accuse me of hating the guy, or having a Hatamine imbalance, but Massa is trouble and he's got an ax to grind from 2008 Brazil.
Well, you read the post, didn't you?

Let's see if you can read this one... it's going to be a long one. I just finished a very large work, so I want to write for a while. I certainly hope, as zeph says, that those guys in my payroll doesn't lose time in useless threads while I do exactly that. To have priests we need slaves, don't we, zeph? ;)

Look, ringo, most people here used to be fan of nobody, AFAIK. Many of the answers in this thread (thank you, guys) prove that. We're a fanless forum.

We come here to talk of technical matters, and love is not technical (at least not the kind of love I'm thinking of).

Meanwhile, I can confess I liked when Alonso (or Montoya) used to win, but that was many moons ago.

However, I have NEVER protested a judgment. Specially against myself. I have the same fatalistic view that Redmondo displays. Either way, innocent or guilty, I just do not want the same thing to happen again, period.

Besides, if Montoya is stupid enough to insult Kimi and he gets a penalty, well, he is a hot headed man, isn't he? If Alonso gets into a mess about industrial spies, well, it's his life, not mine.

However, I love them no matter what they do.

Why?

First, and mainly, they risk their lives for my entertainment.

Second, in the things I like to learn they are masters.

I've repeated this many times: my will is subject to no one except those who teach or impart justice for the general well being. Those I respect, so I respect race drivers (and judges).

Actually, ringo, you might not suspect this but I also love Hamilton, no matter what he does.

I love him (in a certain manner) in the way I love my kids: they are what they are, I'm happy with it, and I'm their friend and support.

I don't want my kids (nor Hamilton) to be different. I don't want them to be better than anyone (and I would be very worried if that were their intention!), I don't want to be worse (same worry): I want them exactly as they are.

They are my "God given" thing in this world. Like you are. You come with this forum. I enjoy all of you, I don't want to perfect you (I believe you're perfect already!), nor I idolize you. I know some of your defects and virtues and that's what I got. Welcome this is and certainly it makes me very, very happy to live along them and you.

I like strong minded individuals that somehow are in this game to make a point and that take life with gusto, with zest, like I want my kids to live, like I suppose Hamilton lives, like I think you, ringo, live. A tad on the edge but with a clear mind. That's enough for me.

This does NOT mean I necessarily concur with all your actions and sayings, specially when you protest penalties.

Why? Mainly because I've been a kart marshal for decades, imagine if I'm going to protest a decision. You don't protest the quality of the food you helped to make, do you?

I've had my fill of angry parents arguing that their little angels are unable to get angry, while they seem to be very angry, large versions of their angered kids...

On the other hand, I have been angry.

Actually, I can tell you that there is no more intense anger than road anger... at least in my case.

So, I can understand Hamilton anger after the race (and during the race, if you believe me, a veteran judge)

Now, in this forum, we are more or less inundated by Hamilton fans.

You're welcome, fans. Ham has won where many Britons have failed lately. Congratulations.

Now, I beg.

Could you please talk about someone else? Could you please take the penalties in the proud silence of the good sport men? When your idol is criticized could you suffer the critics while knowing inside you that he has many good things ahead and then critics will be silent then?

That would be wonderful.

Learn from us, the fans of forgotten teams.

I am a fan of the Atlético de Madrid. Have you heard of it? Yeah, the OTHER team from Madrid. How many times have the Atlético won in a match against the Real Madrid?

I don't know, but they have me made HAPPY.

I see the fans of Real Madrid, angry EVERY time his team loses. Gosh, it seems to me they need to be more spartan minded and enjoy the little things in life, if you follow my drift.

If you have a horrible Monaco race, well, many people had horrible races this year, starting with Massa and Maldonado.

Maldonado was on his way to be the first Venezuelan earning a point in F1.

This might seem little to you, the fans of the best driver in history, the supporters of the guy that racks points like the Cookie Monster eats cookies, but for Maldonado this was the high point in his career.

It seemed to me that he treated Monaco with the respect it deserves: he was thrilled after the race for what could have been, he was happy by merely being in that position, he was more surprised by Hamilton's move than angered (and he was in front, for the love of Pete!).

I have seen many people overtake over the years, but how many I've seen on the inner part of the curve at the apex and hitting the rear wheel of the guy in front? I have seen few of those. I call them stupid moves, or as FIA said, in their euphemistic way, avoidable accidents.

As a marshal, I wonder if Maldonado, at that point and moment in his life was the kind of person that would intentionally, as some Hamilton fans imply, crash against the exWDC, that probably he admires more than most other people in this world.

I confess I would like Kobayashi, Alguersuari, Maldonado, Buemi, heck, any of the backmarkers to win. Just because of that. I like the true heroes, those who lose in silence and perhaps never win. It's a matter of attitude. I liked Maldonado non chalance about the incident.

On the other hand, the offended Hamilton shocked me, as he seem to display at that moment, the attitude of a weak person.

It's like the Real Madrid president protesting a penalty in favor of Athletic of Madrid. Do you know what passes by in the minds of "the other team" fans? Something like this: "We understand you may have your reasons, Mr. President, but do you have to be offended because you received the short end of the stick for ONCE in many years? Haven't you had your share of penalties wrongly in your favor? Well, then, do you NEED to insult people? Where is the attitude of a true champion, used to the high and lows of sport? Isn't this a game? How would you behave under more serious circumstances, like in war, for example?"

I wonder why, if you don't want to seem spoiled and behaving like a brat, could take that attitude at Monaco.

At the temple of racing, in short.

If you can spoil our weekend this way, I guess you could argue with your wife in the Sixtine Chapel, for all the respect it seem other people, that might been having a different experience from yours, deserve from you.

Compared with the kind of personality Maldonado and Massa display, you can understand that whiners that protest because they don't win, as they usually do, seem pathetic to me.

Nothing could make us more proud than some of you, dear Hamilton fans, my friends in racing now and always, accepting, at least, in view of the evidence and the judgments already made, that Hamilton must take his penalty as a grown up and move ahead, but with a changed attitude.

Now, if Hamilton doesn't learn (and fans neither) then this forum will suck for many months, while he finds a way out of the predicament this year means for him. Many more races will suck too. A pity, but we can live with it.

Let's see how many years does it take for him (and his fans) to reach that point (or how horrible this year is because Ham continues to make mistakes while the crowd of his followers make our life miserable as consequence).

Now, ringo, after all that explanation (that you might not read, it doesn't matter, it's not for you, I write for myself) I have something to tell you only.

The FIA had a word with someone and he wasn't Massa.

Me, a FIA member and a marshal, concur with them.

So, in this history the guilty party has been found and, moreover, he has accepted the penalty. That's enough for us, that's what penalties are for: so we can forget and learn.

He should move on, along with his fans. To set an example I think I will start to check next race, this one is over.

So, my final words:

1. Poor guy, Maldonado. A rookie, crashed from behind by his idol, and after that, insulted. He's a gentleman, if you ask me. I wouldn't be quiet!

2. Massa deserves to be treated with some kindness, he's still recovering from a heavy crash.

3. Let's hope Hamilton & friends prepare better in zen, take an accelerated course on good sportmanship (a point absent from this thread! How funny!). Rest assured, we wish fervently for you to have better luck next time Hamilton tries to pass on the inside. The third is the charm, isn't it?

Jeffsville (how I like that nick!): yes, I hate what Pitpass does to people. It's like soap operas. Have you ever seen ANYONE happy at a soap opera, except for a brief moment in the last chapter?

Well, it seems to me that same thing happens at that forum. I certainly don't like that. Now, I don't hate the site, but the attitude it promotes as explained perfectly by JET.

Everybody is so quick to get offended! Actually, it's like those stressed families of soap operas: no matter what you say, you will offend someone. And jokes... there aren't any jokes. If I were a HamFan, I would be saying something like: "Well, he crashed but at least he wasn't out of the race like everybody else! Hahahahahaha!"
Ciro

ringo

Well i can tell you that those were the last 2 drivers i wanted to see collide in that race.
I wanted Maldonado to score points very badly. I got a bet riding in the willaims car thread on them doing well with their car this year.

I did not criticize him in anyway as i said i am a fan.
But it is my opinion that his reflexes caused him his race.He didn't have to squeeze the curb to defend Hamilton. He should have been on that line from the start finish to defend.
Hamilton had him hostage and it was too late.

When he moved in there was only one out come. When 2 cars a side by side that close, you can't back out. There will be front wheel to rear wheel contact.
You can either move over onto the curb, or the other guy can give you room so both make it through.

That was a racing incident and Maldonado was partly responsible.

I think an overtaking driver has the right to put his car in any gap. Putting the other guys balls to the knife so to speak. Both crash or one submits.
It's hostage taking but it's fair.

When it's a bit unfair is when intentional contact is made. Which is what massa seems to do sometimes.
Putting your car in a position to hold another driver hostage (fill a critical space on the track) is different as there is no contact made.
If the hostage feels to commit suicide in the racing sense, then that's his choice.
It's simply a racing incident.

I saw the incident the way brundle now sees it. Only that brundle was playing to the crowd until the dust and Hatamine settled.

I'm a hamilton fan but if he is wrong he is wrong. In maldonado's case, both were simply strong headed but Pastor's only fault was that he had more to lose than gain from showing hamilton he's not a push over.

We could talk about other drivers but for some reason they don't really generate much conversation. For example Kobayashi or Alguashari. If no one wants to discuss them then it makes no sense force a fake conversation.
For Sure!!

komninosm

Ciro Pabón wrote: The FIA had a word with someone and he wasn't Massa.

Me, a FIA member and a marshal, concur with them.

So, in this history the guilty party has been found and, moreover, he has accepted the penalty. That's enough for us, that's what penalties are for: so we can forget and learn.
So we shouldn't question FIA decisions ever again? We should just shut up and take it. That's what your post boils down to. :roll:

komninosm

andrew wrote:
Shrieker wrote:
Having seen further footage not available to me in commentary, I do think that Lewis was treated harshly in the incident involving Pastor Maldonado, although that penalty didn't affect his sixth place. He was all over the back of Maldonado's weaving Williams down the pit straight and he should not have been surprised to have Hamilton moving alongside him into the corner. He should have left more space or covered the inside better. I would not have penalised Lewis in this incident.
Oh there's a surprise. I mentioned the usual bias of the British pundits and was binned for it. Looks like I was right again. :roll:

Brundle is wrong in my opinion. What he is basically saying is that Maldonado should have jumped out of the way becayse Hamilton was behind him. I forgot about Hamilton's God given right to be infornt of everyone. How could I have missed that in the official rules?!

Having read pages and pages of opinions on various sites nothing can convince me that this incident was the fault of anyone other than Hamilton.
(Maybe I'm mistaken, but is that a self-hating Brit routine?)

Anyway, your opinion is wrong in my opinion. Brundle is not saying that and the way you put it is trollish and flame baitingly arrogant/sarcastic/hyperbolic (take a pick). This routine (God/rules say x should be in-front of everyone) has been overdone in this forum, it wasn't funny the first few times, it hasn't gotten better.

Giblet

Locked. If anyone has anything to add PM me and I will unlock the thread.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

F1trainee

FIA Vs. Hamilton

I wanted to ban Hamilton for six grands prix - Jean Todt

Source: http://www.formula1onlive.com/2011/06/i ... rands.html

The President Jean Todt has revealed that he considered banning Lewis Hamilton for six races following the McLaren driver’s ill timed racial joke two weeks ago in Monaco GP.

“Lewis wrote to me and I wrote to him,” FIA president Todt told British newspapers including the Guardian. “I did not advertise it. It’s between him and the FIA. I could have asked our judicial court to address the problem. We never officially opened the case. “Maybe it would have been a better decision to put him to the court. To ban him for six grands prix. But he wrote to me and I wrote to him and the thing is over,” added the Frenchman.

He showed the correspondence to selected reporters earlier this week and it demonstrated that Todt rebuked Hamilton in his letter but insisted the matter is now closed.

“I am trying to maintain a good harmony amongst everybody,” Todt is quoted by the Telegraph. “I have tried to avoid controversy. I could have leaked the letter but it’s between him and the FIA. (In Monaco) my office was next to the stewards. Every time I went to see them I avoided making any comment. For me what Lewis said was unacceptable but I didn’t want to overreact,” admitted Todt.

The brilliant driver Hamilton will irritated with Monaco events?

Richard

Re: FIA Vs. Hamilton

Lots of ifs and buts and maybe and could have in that extract. I'm sure the FIA has all sorts of severe punishments in their rule book.

It is important that the head of the regulatory body is aware of his full powers and is prepared to use them as required. He'd be failing in his job if he wasn't aware of his powers.

It was amicably resolved - why didn't you put that bit in bold?

----

I notice that you've only made 3 posts on this forum, so welcome aborad! Two of pof your posts were new threads about XX v Hamilton. Any thread with a driver v driver title is doomed to fanboi hell. Best try to steer clear of that sort of stuff on here. Just a friendly tip.

Mr Alcatraz

Always one to come to "the bosses" defence, If Todt did not want to leak the letter, why did he leak this info, or did I mis something-----again?
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Giblet

Monaco is back to being unlocked. Since the squirrel infestation is over for now, let's try to stick to anything new to add to the race, and drop old squabbles. The teams and drivers and FIA have moved on, so should we.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Tazio wrote:Always one to come to "the bosses" defence, If Todt did not want to leak the letter, why did he leak this info, or did I mis something-----again?
I think it is more that the matter is now closed (as far as Jean Todt is concerned). Sooner or later the details of the letters will be leaked on Twitter or in the press so I think he is just pre-empting another over-hyped media frenzy.