Canadian GP 2011 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Canadian GP 2011 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

zeph wrote:From Adam Cooper's blog:
Meanwhile he confirmed that he and Button had talked during the red flag.

“When they had the long break Jenson came up to the room and just said ‘Sorry about that I didn’t see you,’ and I said, ‘Yeah my fault entirely, I was in the wrong place really at the wrong time,’ and that’s it. We’re good team mates, I think.”
http://adamcooperf1.com/2011/06/13/lewi ... rong-time/

To be clear, that is Hamilton talking.

But I'm sure the fanatics will figure out a way to twist this around.
Well yes – it's entirely possible to end up in the wrong place at the wrong time and have made a legit overtaking move. As the FIA, Hamilton and Button all agree on.

Go watch the video of JPM making a pass exactly there in exactly that way again.

zeph
zeph

Giblet
Giblet

zeph wrote:From Adam Cooper's blog:
Meanwhile he confirmed that he and Button had talked during the red flag.

“When they had the long break Jenson came up to the room and just said ‘Sorry about that I didn’t see you,’ and I said, ‘Yeah my fault entirely, I was in the wrong place really at the wrong time,’ and that’s it. We’re good team mates, I think.”
http://adamcooperf1.com/2011/06/13/lewi ... rong-time/

To be clear, that is Hamilton talking.

But I'm sure the fanatics will figure out a way to twist this around.
Instead let's just confirm it. I always wonder why people don't wait until the drivers have spoken, but they think they can make a decisive decision about exactly what happened, and more importantly, who was thinking what.

Maybe this was posted before, but there is a lof of chafe to sort through to get to the grain.
Jenson Button wrote:
As far as the incident with Lewis is concerned, I couldn’t see a thing behind me except a blur of Vodafone rocket-red, but that could have been my rear wing: obviously, it’s the same colour as Lewis’s car. I moved to the left, which is the racing line, then I felt a bang, and I feared it was game over for both of us. Lewis knows that I didn’t do it on purpose, and I know that he didn’t do it on purpose either. I spoke to him before the race restarted, and it’s all good.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

PlatinumZealot

This all doesn't matter anyway. Let's face it; neither Button, Massa nor Webber are not fast enough to challenge Vettel for the WDC. Points to Button or Webber at this Stage doesn't change a thing, as long as Vettel didn't get that 25 points he was looking for.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Formula None
Formula None

It does matter. It was an accident, they both admit it, they're being adults about it, neither guy is blaming the other. You, Ringo, Myurr, etc. will have to come to grips with this.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

:lol:

Seriously, it's done, it's in the past and can't be undone. Move on, the drivers and team say they have.

HampusA

vall wrote:there are quite a few very talented driver out there that equally deserve the best car. I do not see Ham as any different to say he deserves it more :shock:
You managed to respond to something i never said, nice one ;)
Of course there are other drivers deserving better cars, however, i did not say anything about any other drivers.

I spoke entirely about Hamilton and what i feel he deserves.
No other driver on the grid has the credentials outside F1 as Hamilton does.
There is nobody on the grid that denies the talent Hamilton has, not even Alonso, his greatest enemy :)
The truth will come out...

beelsebob
beelsebob

Just for reference – Jenson thinks its in the past now too – he's apologised to Lewis, and the two consider it done.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula ... 755503.stm

Mandrake
Mandrake

Can we get back to the fans booing a driver during podium ceremony? Vettel did nothing wrong this race, nor this season to piss anyone off. Why was he booed? (I'm just asking because I turned off the tv right after the drivers crossed the finish line)

Other than that, I was sort of upset about the DRS this race. MSC was driving the race of this season until it dried out. On slicks the W02 is just a sitting duck with which MSC was unable to defend his position.....add DRS and off they go. Secondly, many of you called the SC phases lucky for Vettel in Monaco.....this race it was all to his disadvantage. I haven't counted to the exact figures, but he lost about 20 seconds lead due to the SC. And later race winner with 6 Pitstops never lost too much time because under SC he was right in the queue again.

As for Vettel's mistake: The only way to stay in front of Jenson after failing to build a gap in advance was to push the hell out of the car to keep the gap above 1 sec at DRS detection. Vettel drove the wheels off the car only to mess up one turn....he would have been dead meat on the straight anyways due to DRS for Button. The McLaren was just faster at the end. See how much quicker Vettel was than Webber, that's an insane margin.

myurr
myurr

@Mandrake, he also got several free tyre stops out of the safety cars in Canada so overall I don't think he did too badly from it.

gridwalker
gridwalker

The infamous marshall from Montreal now has his own facebook page : http://www.facebook.com/pages/That-Craz ... 6693617821
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Code: Select all

After reviewing the data from the accident the stewards gave a three-point explanation of why the collision was neither drivers' fault.

"1) Exiting Turn 13 there was a legitimate overtaking opportunity for Lewis Hamilton as his speed was greater than Jensen Button's.

"2) Both drivers took lines substantially similar to many of the other drivers, and did not move as far to the left as the preceding driver, Michael Schumacher. At the moment after Hamilton moved to the left to pass, Button looked into his mirror. It appears from the position of Hamilton at that moment [and is confirmed by the drivers] that Button was unlikely to have seen Hamilton.

"3) At the point of contact Button had not yet moved as far to the left of the track as he had on the previous lap, or that Schumacher had on that lap. The Stewards have concluded that it was reasonable for Hamilton to believe that Button would have seen him and that he could have made the passing manoeuvre. Further, the Stewards have concluded that it is reasonable to believe that Button was not aware of Hamilton's position to his left. Therefore, the Stewards decide that this was a "racing incident" and have taken no further action." 
http://en.espnf1.com/canada/motorsport/story/51508.html

Let it go, all the noise in the world won't alter the truth.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

sAx
sAx

beelsebob wrote:Just for reference – Jenson thinks its in the past now too – he's apologised to Lewis, and the two consider it done.

For sure JB's view is one take:

"He's a racer, a fighter," said Button. "For me that is the reason why I wanted to be here [at McLaren], against and with a driver that is super talented, one of the best drivers Formula 1 has ever seen."

... Another might be that if he is unable to reign in his magnificent talent a little, then all the daring do and brilliant overtakes will count for little in the final analysis.

sAx
Last edited by sAx on 13 Jun 2011, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

beelsebob
beelsebob

sAx wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Just for reference – Jenson thinks its in the past now too – he's apologised to Lewis, and the two consider it done.

For sure JB's view is one take:

"He's a racer, a fighter," said Button. "For me that is the reason why I wanted to be here [at McLaren], against and with a driver that is super talented, one of the best drivers Formula 1 has ever seen."

... Another might be that if he is unable to reign in his magnificent talent a little, then all the daring do and brilliant opvertakes will count for little in the final analysis.
When did this change from a discussion of a racing incident to a discussion of whether you like Hamilton's driving style?

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

beelsebob wrote:When did this change from a discussion of a racing incident to a discussion of whether you like Hamilton's driving style?
I don't consider it a great sin to wander just slightly off topic and offer an opinion. In fact, considering the post is labelled "Canadian GP 2011 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve" that leaves a lot of room for different areas to be discussed, including assumptions on driver's thoughts, attitudes, and motivations.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.