Canadian GP 2011 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
beelsebob

Re: Canadian GP 2011 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Mandrake wrote:The MGP is also extremely quick on the straights. I believe they'll do a lot better than in Monaco. Possibly fighting hard with the Massa Ferrari.
I can see them being right up there in Qually, but the car eats its tyres. They'll be no where in the race again.

Mandrake

They are harder on the tires, true, but then again Canada has no high speed corners, and it's not as twisty as Monaco. So there's less stop & go.

We'll wait and see, Monaco was supposed to be good for them --> it wasn't :D Everything can happen.

beelsebob

Mandrake wrote:They are harder on the tires, true, but then again Canada has no high speed corners, and it's not as twisty as Monaco. So there's less stop & go.

We'll wait and see, Monaco was supposed to be good for them --> it wasn't :D Everything can happen.
Remember that last year's Canada race was the race that brought us these tyres. The circuit caused massive degradation last year.

raymondu999

As I understood it though; it was the lack of grip that was causing cars to slide around. This then meant a lot of wheelspin which killed the tyres. BUt if you can stop that wheelspin maybe we would get in fact better tyre life, methinks
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:As I understood it though; it was the lack of grip that was causing cars to slide around. This then meant a lot of wheelspin which killed the tyres. BUt if you can stop that wheelspin maybe we would get in fact better tyre life, methinks
Right, the point I was making was that the Merc appears to do quite the opposite of this.

raymondu999

Actually I don't think it's as simple as "they eat tyres." I think that their balance changes massively from empty/full tanks. On one setup it eats tyres on low fuel but uses them well on high fuel; on another setup; it does the opposite.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

HampusA

Problem for Merc is their car has a very narrow window of where the car works it's tires good.
Unlike the RBR which works it's tires very good no matter track, fuel load, wear on tires etc.
The truth will come out...

ringo

Will the redbull be dominant here even though its low downforce?

They could have won last year without the tyre mess up.

Low speed traction is a big factor here. Ferrari, renault and redbull have that. The Mclaren doesn't.
For Sure!!

ajdavison2

My heart says Hamilton for Mclaren, but my head and the smart money would go for Vettel for Redbull

Just_a_fan

Hamilton likes this track. He's raced there 3 times and won 2 of those races including his maiden F1 victory.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

beelsebob

ringo wrote:Will the redbull be dominant here even though its low downforce?

Low speed traction is a big factor here. Ferrari, renault and redbull have that. The Mclaren doesn't.
Uhhh? That's why the McLaren was making up nearly a second through the low speed traction section at Spain, and why the McLaren was the fastest car at Monaco?

lebesset

beelsebob wrote:

Uhhh? That's why the McLaren was making up nearly a second through the low speed traction section at Spain, and why the McLaren was the fastest car at Monaco?
better tyres mostly
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

donskar

Lots of posts saying McL will win here, because no high speed turns, but I recall the same predictions before Monaco. Same for Renault. Hamilton/McL are my least favorite driver/car, but I'd rather see them win than Vettel/RBR -- but I do not see it happening. Hoping to be wrong, but I think we'll see Vettel and RBR set new records for success this year (but NOT to win all but one race,as McL did). I don't believe Newey has ever built a more dominant car, and Vettel drives it wery well.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

beelsebob

lebesset wrote:
beelsebob wrote:

better tyres mostly
??? You're saying McLaren get better tyres delivered to them from Pirelli?

beelsebob

donskar wrote:Lots of posts saying McL will win here, because no high speed turns, but I recall the same predictions before Monaco.
Yes, and the McLaren was clearly the fastest car at Monaco come race day. Button closed in 20 seconds on vettel twice, and then got stuck behind.

I would bet that if McL's strategy wasn't --- up, they would have been within 0.1s either way on Vettel in qually, and Hamilton would have run away with the race.