Canadian GP 2011 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PNSD

Re: Canadian GP 2011 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

I dont want to head off topic, but with regards to the racing and championship; despite Vettel's lead being rather large, I have enjoyed the races this year alot more. Despite his lead I am very much enjoying this year more so than last year. I watch for the racing, whoever wins or comes last is key for my enjoyment. F1 this year has been pure entertainment with thanks to Pirelli, and the DRS.

I expect no less at Canada, a race track where racing is generally exciting. Even without the DRS here, im sure what we would get would keep us attached to our screens for the entire race!

It should be a close one. We know Lewis goes well here, and we know the form Sebastian is currently in. We also know Ferrari are bringing some upgrades, and that the car prefer's the softer range of the tyres. I have a feeling the race will be one of the closest yet.

Robbobnob

Too much talk about Vettel and Hammy, who do you guys reckon will have a strong showing here?

This is the perfect track for Team Lotus to have a strong performance.
Plus no one has considered Button or Webber, both driving pretty darn well this year.

For me i think we will see a Petrov in his Lotus Renault sneak in front of a Ferrari.

The Battle between RedBull and Mcl will be very close here, KERS will definitely be key and could see McL take the advantage, however slow corner traction will be crucial.

Will be a good race, for the first time this season my moneys on Hamilton for Pole, a strong showing from Alonso might be a dark horse for the front row, but Vettel will certainly be no lower than 4th on the Grid
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Undead_Mud wrote:Soft/Super Soft for Canada! Seriously ??

http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2011/0 ... rand-prix/
Yep, it's mentioned here aswell.

http://www.supersport.com/motorsport/ar ... ?Id=419648

raymondu999

I think this will be the first real close battle in qualifying. Hamilton has a 100% pole record here; but then is that really enough to stop Vettel's pole run?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SiLo

Hamilton on Pole? He's pretty handy around here so I expect him to go well, likewise for Vettel who is performing well and Alonso who seems to be just as driven as ever. Canada is usually a good leveller for car performance so hoping to see a good race.

Who will be first to meet the wall of champions?
Felipe Baby!

Giblet

Pretty please with sugar on top, stay on topic. The topic is at the top of every page. This one happens to be the Canadian Grand Prix of 2011. There is already a thread for Monaco 2011, Suzuka 2010.

If your point is not important enough to search for the right thread to post it or create a new one, there is a real possibility that your point is not good enough to post in the wrong thread. It's easy to go OT on something that matters, and sometimes a small OT adds perspective in the right thread to the topic at hand, but the race and car threads are JUST for the races and cars.

The blather from here has resurrected our old friend, The "Fanboy Ying Yang" Thread".
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

raymondu999

I think pole will be either Vettel or Hamilton here; with Jenson 3rd.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Giblet

I'd like to see Vettel hit the wall. I mean he is a Champion now. Button has hit the wall, but it was before he was champ for goo measure.

It's not that I want to see Vettel fail, it's just that wall is rapidly becoming a Canadian Pagan God, and every once in a while a sacrifice must be made :)

Myself and the Nikon will unfortunately not be attending the race this year, but next year will be doing a double header of Montreal and Austin.

At this track I am going to pip Jenson for the win, with Hamilton taking quali. Jens will win on a good strategy call in part made by him. I am not counting out Red Bull. They would have learned a lesson last year.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Nickel

There are way too many champions racing who have not hit the wall of champs. If I'm not mistaken, Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso have never done so. With DRS, I predict a change of balance for someone coming out of the chicane. Giblet is spot on, the wall is due a sacrifice.

Really though, the big wildcard for Montréal has got to be weather pirelli will prove to be correct as far as tire degradation is concerned. I would be terribly surprised if the trend from Monaco continues where the soft can last 40 odd laps.

HampusA

I think that was mainly due to the relatively low speeds and the sandbagging made by Vettel.
Going full trottle at a wider track and at much higher speeds will exploit the super softs/softs for what they really are.
The truth will come out...

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

As an F1 fan I don't to see anyone hit the wall and want to see the race decided on the tarmac and not in a lump of concrete beside the track.

However, if anyone is going to hit the wall, I think it will be an HRT or a Virgin. Neither have a surplus of grip.

Giblet

I don't truly want anyone to hit anything, but if I had to choose at gunpoint a current champion from the crop to offer sacrifice to His Walliness, I've already said who.

donskar

Giblet wrote:Pretty please with sugar on top, stay on topic. The topic is at the top of every page. This one happens to be the Canadian Grand Prix of 2011. There is already a thread for Monaco 2011, Suzuka 2010.

If your point is not important enough to search for the right thread to post it or create a new one, there is a real possibility that your point is not good enough to post in the wrong thread. It's easy to go OT on something that matters, and sometimes a small OT adds perspective in the right thread to the topic at hand, but the race and car threads are JUST for the races and cars.

The blather from here has resurrected our old friend, The "Fanboy Ying Yang" Thread".
Well said. =D>

For me, the interesting point for this and the next several races is psychology. Will Vettel get complacent? (Probably not, and Newey won't.) Will Hamilton get desperate/frustrated and do something stupid a la wall of champions? (Quite possible. This could be a key.) Will Button's experience/racecraft give him the inner balance to overcome Vettel & Ham's speed? (Hamilton could be vulnerable if he cannot control his emotions.) Can Fry's business-like/McLaren approach and Alonso's controlled Latin fire lead Ferrari back? (Like to see it, but it probably won't happen this year.)

Finally, if Vettel dominates again, will people begin worrying about TV ratings sagging due to lack of interest in the championship?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Mr Alcatraz

donskar wrote:

Finally, if Vettel dominates again, will people begin worrying about TV ratings sagging due to lack of interest in the championship?
Not to worry, Bernie will be right on it with an assist from the FIA to contrive some way to keep it close. He can always bust out the sprinklers even if it's just to keep people watching. :D
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

HampusA

To bad the RBR works as best in the rain though ;)
The truth will come out...