Hungarian GP 2011 - Hungaroring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
myurr

Re: Hungarian GP 2011 - Hungaroring

HampusA wrote:
Poleman wrote:Since i remember RBR, so far this season and the previous one,everyone preety much expected them to be the fastest in quali regardless their FP times...Thats hardly an upset,even yourself for this grand prix,you still believe that they will come out on top.It would be surprising if you didnt expect them to be fast and yet claim pole,which is what Beelsebob said and he's right.So far this year at least noone expected McLaren and Ferrari to be fast at qualy at times,yet they surprised us a few times each.
Aha but that´s not what i´m saying. I´m saying RBR is sandbagging in FP´s.
Not what you or me feel they will end up in the end.
I just say that they haven´t showed the real pace yet.
But what do they gain from sandbagging? Do the other teams think "oh we're quick enough, let's stop trying to go quicker" so that Red Bull can come along and surprise them?

The teams don't really tend to think like that any more. They'll be running fuel loads to check setup and test performance for the times in the race where they think they need to optimise the most.

For this race Red Bull may be most worried about their performance on the first few laps where the combination of weight and their cars downforce may stress the tyres to their limits, and they need to make sure that they'll cope. This could lead to them running more fuel than their rivals, but it won't be just to hide their pace. Red Bull even had to break the curfew last night to work on the cars, so it's clearly not a case of them hiding their true pace and then sailing off into the distance come race day.

I think that this is going to be another German GP in terms of competitiveness. Red Bull will be up there but Ferrari and McLaren will be really pushing them and may well have the edge in the second half of the race.

HampusA

I have no idea, but they have done it numerous times before.
It could be mind games, or they just run the car with more fuel and only take it out in Q2-Q3.
It just seems to work absolutely brilliant with low fuel load.
Last edited by HampusA on 30 Jul 2011, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
The truth will come out...

beelsebob

HampusA wrote:I have no idea, but they have done it numerous times before.
It could be mind games, or they just run the car with more fuel and only take it out in Q2-Q3.
Can you give an example of when they've done it before this year? They've certainly often gained 0.3-0.4 in Q3 when they turn the engine up... but I don't remember a single time when they've looked uncompetitive on a friday and suddenly come back to form on the saturday.

HampusA

Turkish GP FP1, WEB 11th - VET 17th
Turkish GP FP1, WEB 5th - VET crash

Double win at Turkey.
I have to say though i checked the F1 site and went through all GP´s and it seems they did it more last year then this year.
The truth will come out...

myurr

HampusA wrote:Turkish GP FP1, WEB 11th - VET 17th

Double win at Turkey.
I have to say though i checked the F1 site and went through all GP´s and it seems they did it more last year then this year.
One win at Turkey.

beelsebob

HampusA wrote:Turkish GP FP1, WEB 11th - VET 17th

Double win at Turkey.
Being 6 seconds off the pace because you did all race-fuel running is not the same as doing low-fuel running and not being quick. RBR were fastest in FP3 in turkey when they actually started their low-fuel running.

myurr

Schumachers prime rear tyres going off after only 4 laps on a what is probably a medium fuel load!! That could really compromise their race.

Poleman

Vettel's fastest today still 0.1 slower than Hamilton's P1 time in FP2.

beelsebob

Poleman wrote:Vettel's fastest today still 0.1 slower than Hamilton's P1 time in FP2.
But with very different wind conditions, and clearly a little more speed in the RBR, even without turning the wick up.

Will be a close one at this rate.

Mr Alcatraz

yea' babe!
Still a 3 horse race 8)
Last edited by Mr Alcatraz on 30 Jul 2011, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

SiLo

Vettel was back on top but he still didn't beat Hamilton's time from FP2, so we know that the Mclaren still has plenty of pace to come. When Button is running pretty well they usually do alright, but I reckon Vettel/Webber will have pole, it's the fight for 2nd that could be interesting.
Felipe Baby!

MrBlacky

According to Bild.de Vettels bandage on his right hand isn't a big thing. He just injured himself a little bit while he was repairing his mountainbike.

marcush.

track temp seems to be a bit up on yesterday ,not much but who knows where the hinge point is and Mclaren is starting to lose performance when redbull and Ferrari can still retain the potential..

rather big spreads in Trapspeeds to be found between teammates so some guys not using all revs or using the last chance to see if it is possible to trim for more top speed?

the question is :Can RedBull afford to gear and setup for qualy lap time? They hold an advantage in sector 3 as it looks ..so maybe their focus is to be able to maintain a gap into the detection zone to avoid being swallowed up in their weak topspeeds..if that works?
Webber seems to have more top speed at a sacrifice of 4 tenth in the middle sector equalising Button trap speed ...a hard decision ...

Mercedes with their staggering top speeds will be hard to overtake but given their strong performance in sector 1 and 3 this could be very interesting for attacking people in front ...

Mr Alcatraz

Alonso Sand bagging!
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Poleman

One thing to notice is that Hamilton banged the lap and pitted while Fred done a couple more till he clocked that...Seems that we are going to have a nice scrap for pole.

EDIT: HAM 1 lap ALO 4 laps VET 3 laps