Belgian GP 2011 - Spa-Francorchamps

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
HampusA

Re: Belgian GP 2011 - Spa-Francorchamps

beelsebob wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I don't like that in the slightest. Anyone else think that it will make things too easy for the overtaker?
Actually I think it's just 100% pointless. You get a lot of chances to pass down the Kemmel straight anyway, because it's dominated by whether you hit the rev limiter or not.
Agree, Kemmel straight together with Eau Rouge/Raidillon will create overtakes anyway.

I would rather see detection zone to be out of Fagnes then activation zone out of Paul Frere. It´s uphill from there so i think it would be a better spot for DRS.

That way we could see who has the balls to take Blanchimont flat with DRS ;)
The truth will come out...

raymondu999

Paul Frere? Is that Stavelot? Sorry, more used to the name Stavelot.
Question to the anoraks though; have we ever had a "hot" Spa race? I remember having *dry* ones, but not *hot* ones.

Also, Pirelli has confirmed Medium/Soft for Spa; and ditto for Monza. Singapore will be soft/supersoft.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SiLo

DRS on the straight really wouldn't do much tbh. As long as it's not right after Eau Rouge then it should be ok. Just a little way along so that the car behind can't just drive past easily, but can get alongside.
Felipe Baby!

beelsebob

SiLo wrote:DRS on the straight really wouldn't do much tbh. As long as it's not right after Eau Rouge then it should be ok. Just a little way along so that the car behind can't just drive past easily, but can get alongside.
Huh? DRS only works in any sane way in acceleration zones. The reason DRS won't work on kemmel is because the cars hit their rev limiters there, even without DRS. DRS also won't help if it's allowed through eau rouge because the downforce loss of DRS plus the car in front will be too much to make the corner (at a guess). Conclusion – it won't do anything useful on the kemmel straight, and it won't do anything useful in eau rouge. It's dumb as --- to put it there.

godlameroso

Actually the DRS only works to reduce drag over about 220kph, before that F1 cars pretty much accelerate the same
Saishū kōnā

raymondu999

beelsebob wrote:
SiLo wrote:DRS on the straight really wouldn't do much tbh. As long as it's not right after Eau Rouge then it should be ok. Just a little way along so that the car behind can't just drive past easily, but can get alongside.
Huh? DRS only works in any sane way in acceleration zones. The reason DRS won't work on kemmel is because the cars hit their rev limiters there, even without DRS. DRS also won't help if it's allowed through eau rouge because the downforce loss of DRS plus the car in front will be too much to make the corner (at a guess). Conclusion – it won't do anything useful on the kemmel straight, and it won't do anything useful in eau rouge. It's dumb as --- to put it there.
Remember that in years past DRS has never been a factor; and this year they'll probably set the wing level, or the gearing, differently so they only hit the limiter with DRS on.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob

godlameroso wrote:Actually the DRS only works to reduce drag over about 220kph, before that F1 cars pretty much accelerate the same
Which is why we saw barely any DRS overtakes in spain where the cars came out of the final corner at high speed and accelerated to nearly their top speed before DRS was activated.

It's also why we saw loads of overtakes in Canada where DRS was allowed immediately out of a very slow corner.

Sorry, but DRS is at its most effective where it allows the cars to accelerate that tiny bit better out of a slow corner, and get into a slip stream. It's at its least effective when it takes effect at the car's top speed. This is reinforced when the cars are bouncing off their rev limiter, as they will down Kemmel.

Petroltorque

HampUSA is right DRS should be allowed towards the end of Blanchimont as it would allow the cars to close up just before the hard braking of the Bus Stop, it would still allow the driver in front to defend his position. I don't want to see the Farce we had in Turkey where the DRS zone was a joke!

wesley123

Busstop is out of itself already a really good place to overtake. I think before the fast left hander(I beleive it is called Kemmel) is a good place, or after that. Belgium doesnt really got good DRS zones imo.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

beelsebob

wesley123 wrote:Busstop is out of itself already a really good place to overtake. I think before the fast left hander(I beleive it is called Kemmel) is a good place, or after that. Belgium doesnt really got good DRS zones imo.
There are many fast left handers at Spa... The 3 of not are eau rouge (a dumb place to put DRS – you'd lose too much DF following the other car anyway); Pouhon, which might work... there's not really an overtaking spot after it, but it might *just* become one with added DRS; and Blanchimont, coming up to the chicane (not the bus stop btw, that was demolished a few years ago). Personally, I see Blanchimont as the best place to put DRS.

HampusA

wesley123 wrote:Busstop is out of itself already a really good place to overtake. I think before the fast left hander(I beleive it is called Kemmel) is a good place, or after that. Belgium doesnt really got good DRS zones imo.
True but you create a chance of overtake into Pouhon which could be very interesting :)
It´s possible to fly through there two-wide.

MrBlacky

After Blanchimont the cars hit the limiter as well. It's not easy to find a good spot in Spa for DRS.

Maybe the start/fin straight is even the best idea.

PlatinumZealot

raymondu999 wrote:Hate to break it to you Alcatraz, but I don't think Eau Rouge can be driven in a T-storm flat out, let alone with DRS :wink:

This race reminds me of a rumor we had last year that a team was going to do a one-off race deal with Kimi; seeing his track record here. Heh. How I'd love to see that happening
Well we have Michael Schumacher..he has a better track record at Spa. 8)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

HampusA

...And Senna ;)

raymondu999

Yes but while I would love to see Kimi making a 1-off comeback for Spa; I'd be frightened if I saw Ayrton doing the same :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法