Belgian GP 2011 - Spa-Francorchamps

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
FrukostScones

Re: Belgian GP 2011 - Spa-Francorchamps

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJdo-3oz5a8&[/youtube]
Kobayashi, meanwhile, claimed the McLaren moved into him, saying "after he overtook me it was not my intention to get my position back, so I stayed on my line and didn't expect him to move over."
well...
Via his Twitter account, Hamilton said: "After watching the replay, I realize it was my fault today 100%. I didn't give Kobayashi enough room though I thought in (sic) was past.
well... he was past until Kobayashi tried not to overtake!(sic)

and why then use KERS Mr.Kobayashi...
Last edited by FrukostScones on 29 Aug 2011, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

MrBlacky

Gary wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:
Lycoming wrote:I think both of them were a bit surprised by how much Kobayashi came back at Hamilton. Hamilton just didnt consider the possibility that he would be there (and by the time he got there he would have been looking at the apex anyways). Kobayashi was equally surprised to have gotten so deep on him. Almost like he was just on the racing line and by combo of high top speed and late braking, got alongside Lewis.
The way I see it they both got DRS which Lewis probably did not realize. As a result he did not think that Koba was still alongside. Lewis drifted left all the way up the hill and that was basically it. He cut Kobayashi all the space when Kamui needed to turn in. The Sauber turns in less sharply than the McLaren. So Lewis would probably have left him one or two feet of space if he had been aware of the speed of the Sauber. I think that is the reason why he took the blame eventually. He assumed that Kamui was behind and the guy wasn't.
Pretty much agree with both of those comments. Focussing on Lycoming's comment: "Kobayashi was equally surprised to have gotten so deep on him" I think that probably summarises it well, although Kobi-san doesn't quite put it in those words.

However, I would like to express a view on the position that Kobi got himself into and I do this with some trepidation since my experience at braking from 330km/h and turning into Les Combes in close company with another F1 car is strictly limited.

Half way up the hill, Lewis ahead of Kamui, Lewis makes a (legal) jink to the right to (presumably) break the tow. He knew that his car had too much down force dialled in on the day. Approaching Les Combes Kamui starts to come back at Lewis thanks to his own KERS and slightly more slippery configuration. Thing is, he's on the left of the track and that's predictably where the leading car, Lewis's, is going to want to be to turn into a right hander.

From looking at the video over and over (and here I would again cite my humility caveat above), it seems to me pretty apparent that Kamui, whilst he had more momentum than Lewis for a couple of seconds, was not going to get anywhere near to passing Lewis before the turn in point.

And that's the reason, in my view, why Kamui should take more of the blame. In other words, he allowed himself to get into an impossible position. Really, he should have slotted in behind Lewis. Lewis had the corner.

As for Lewis, he clearly felt he was past and he appeared to be 100% focussed on nailing the turn in point. Whether he should have factored in that Kamui might still be coming and coming on his left is certainly a question and one, I think, that is beyond my experience.

So I see it as shared blame but with a bit more going to Kamui. It seems there was no 'attitude' going on... just something that happens in those extreme circumstances. Perhaps that is why the stewards elected to take no action.

I was somewhat intrigued and surprised by Lewis's very servile Mea Culpa on his Twitter. It is almost as though his team has told him that what he doesn't need is aggravation from the FIA, the media or from race fans and that, unless any sin against him is 100% clear cut, it's best to put his hand up, plead guilty and get on with preparing for the next race.

BTW, all the above is on the basis that I don't support or follow any driver or team. I just follow F1 overall.
Good one =D>

MikeFromCanada

Here is my attempt at shifting the focus off Lewis/Koba:

Does anyone have ANY idea why Mark has such difficulties at the start of races. It seems like every race you can count on Mark to cause the car to kick into anti-stall. Surely a driver with his skills and experience can't be the only reason for blame, can it?

Gaara

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS7ZFvOW ... r_embedded[/youtube]

Schumacher overtook a HRT car at the start under yellow flags with no penalty? heh?

beelsebob

Gaara wrote:Schumacher overtook a HRT car at the start under yellow flags with no penalty? heh?
He arguably also only passes the FI at the end of Kemmel because he missed out LesCombes.

strad

I am mostly surprised that no one ever asked Lewis or the team about the crash but everyone only cares about the racing incident.
I truly believe that if asked, and he did lose consciousness, he would lie about it. He would not want to admit that because then he would have to be tested and perhaps miss the next race..
"Knocked out? Why no...I was just resting."
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

What really stopped my heart then and there is that the martial nudged him and his head seemed strangely compliant.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Ray

MikeFromCanada wrote:Here is my attempt at shifting the focus off Lewis/Koba:

Does anyone have ANY idea why Mark has such difficulties at the start of races. It seems like every race you can count on Mark to cause the car to kick into anti-stall. Surely a driver with his skills and experience can't be the only reason for blame, can it?
I don't get this either. There is no way they would allow that to happen consitently. Mark is no fool, he knows how to get a car moving because he's done it a thousand times before. Something is seriously wrong and I can't believe that no one is asking Red Bull why this is. Either they can't work out what's wrong, or they think it's not worth pursuing. Which to me doesn't make sense because that would be throwing away potential points risking being collected in an accident at the start. Surely he and Seb have the same clutch setup and I haven't seen him doing anything that would cause the car to stall, he gets out of the pits fine.

Lycoming

I would guess that its just a weak point for Webber, in the same way that some drivers have difficulties with 1 lap speed in qualifying. He doesn't always go into anti stall, he isnt quite that bad/unfortunate. But every time hes had pole this season, hes lost it in the run down to the first corner. They're always past by the time turn 1 rolls around.

In germany, he was dragging the clutch or something; the revs fell away just before he dropped the clutch. thats something that can be looked at.

In spain, he had an OK start, fernando just burned his entire KERS in the run to the first corner. Webber was ahead on vettel on that one, but braked too early into turn 1 and dropped to third.

I think if they knew why his starts weren't so great, they'd be on their way to fixing it. Maybe Mark just can't pull together a good start come sunday, maybe the clutch feel or bite point isn't right, whatever the case the fact that they've been getting worse means that your guess is as good as mine or Marks or Neweys.

raymondu999

To be fair; in the last race both Red Bulls, interestingly, seemed to have too MUCH startline grip; I think both drivers alluded to this in the press conference; their clutch was too strong, so instead, it made them bog down as they should have revved more aggressively when they were idling in their grid slots
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Richard

I've posted the race data. The FIA also included a lot more reports this time ....

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9815&p=274662#p274662

vall

FrukostScones wrote:
Kobayashi, meanwhile, claimed the McLaren moved into him, saying "after he overtook me it was not my intention to get my position back, so I stayed on my line and didn't expect him to move over."
well...
Via his Twitter account, Hamilton said: "After watching the replay, I realize it was my fault today 100%. I didn't give Kobayashi enough room though I thought in (sic) was past.
well... he was past until Kobayashi tried not to overtake!(sic)

and why then use KERS Mr.Kobayashi...
I think Koba means that at the stage when they collided he already gave up ans was just trying to make corner. He did try to overtake earlier and attempted to stick in the inner line but LH defended well and gave him no chance.

n_anirudh

Gaara wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS7ZFvOW ... r_embedded[/youtube]

Schumacher overtook a HRT car at the start under yellow flags with no penalty? heh?
Is it just me or are the warning lights/race light--caution alternatively flashing yellow and green??? I paused the video several times and I see yellow and green being given simultaneously.

ringo

marcush. wrote:some drivers seem to be fought harder than others ,Hamilton an obvious example ,Scumacher a even more obvious one.Alguesuari,Barrichello,Rosberg all seem to go up a few notches in aggressiveness and awareness when the red helmet is in sight.
Yep.

When Shumacher just came back. Everyone wanted to show him what they got.

Now with Lewis as the barn stormer, and Kobayshi as the Barn stormer Jr.
I kind of get the feeling Kamui was trying to prove something.

He's ended a lot of races though. I think he's ended many a driver's race this season.
1 driver a race. Either ended or front wing broken off which messes up their race. Chech the stats.
For Sure!!

djos

The simple fact is that Lewis didn't make sure he was clear of Koby before he swerved left and as he himself admitted, the accident was 100% his fault, case closed!!!
"In downforce we trust"