Japanese GP 2011 - Suzuka

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

It's theoretically possible for RBR to clinch the title here. Will they?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 61

Traction

Re: Japanese GP 2011 - Suzuka

:shock: that could have been nasty..
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

raymondu999

I'm not sure but do you have TV helicopters recording in Suzuka? I know that in some other countries FOM TV has a TV helicopter around and gives some angles of the action from above; such as the Singapore Grand Prix when they show you far out views to show the lighting of the circuit. Surely if there were TV choppers then those paragliders couldn't be there in the first place?

Also, how exactly did race control send them away? I mean if the SC came out because of the paragliders surely that meant that there was SOMETHING the FIA were doing during the SC period to send them away?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Giblet

This is the one from Canada. Going off the tail numbers its a Canadian chopper.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1081893751 ... 5746075314
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Richard

Wasn't the safety car sent out to recover Massa's debris from the racing line?

No one knows if they were sent away or if they simply wandered off on their own accord.

It does seem odd considering the proximity of the helicopters at the track. Could be an optical illusion, or could be some thrill seekers not bothering about aviation regs.

raymondu999

That's what I thought too - that it was for debris on track for Webber's front wing (colliding with Schumacher) and for the turning vane off Massa's endplate.

My comment about how they were sent away was that IF the safety car was sent out FOR those fliers, then the safety car would only come in BECAUSE the fliers weren't there anymore... no?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Kaneda

raymondu999 wrote: My comment about how they were sent away was that IF the safety car was sent out FOR those fliers, then the safety car would only come in BECAUSE the fliers weren't there anymore... no?
*10 minutes before the SC was sent, I was at the back straight, and I noticed the fliers above.

* Shortly after, the TV helicopter came close to them (in 100 meters). Then the chopper moved away from them immediately.
http://youtu.be/cnAEg7rUb3o (..ignore the dude coming across the front of camera)

* SC was sent. At the time I was busy watching the cars and taking videos on the track. I'm not sure the two paragliders were warned by the chopper with speaker or something. Later I looked up, they were gone somehow. My guess is, they obviously came to see the race, then the cars slowed down and they got bored and left the circuit by themselves.
Last edited by Kaneda on 20 Oct 2011, 05:15, edited 2 times in total.
My Suzuka F1 video: The epic Esses
https://youtu.be/OpE4481PAmM

raymondu999

Lol!
Charlie: "there are two stray para gliders. Let's bore them with a safety car so they go away"
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mandrake

I think the Paragliders wanted to profit from the hot exhaust gases! That meant they could use the warm air upstream to gain height or at least stay at a steady height level. Clever guys these two!

raymondu999

Maybe they were weather spotters for the teams :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Richard

Kaneda wrote: Later I looked up, they were gone somehow. My guess is, they obviously came to see the race, then the cars slowed down and they got bored and left the circuit by themselves.
Gravity was probably more dominant in their minds than the speed of the cars.