Korean GP 2011 - Yeong-Am International Circuit

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

Will Red Bull take the constructors title here?

Yes
66%
No
34%

Total votes: 50

PlatinumZealot

Re: Korean GP 2011 - Yeong-Am International Circuit

doink wrote:I can see the reason for them trying to break into new markets, this one didn't work, neither did Turkey. This shouldn't feature on the calendar next year. It's a pretty boring and flawed track, hardly anyone went to see it, get rid.
It was more exciting racing than Monza.
The problem with the track is that it is not in Seoul.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ringo

I am sure a korean GP would be better if it was built closer to town.
Look on the success of the singapore GP.

The next new track in a developing country needs to be nearer the city.

It's not like europe where there are nice roads and hotels to go to the track and half the population can afford to go.

The track is great it just should have been in another setting.
For Sure!!

jamsbong

Melbourne GP never made any profit and it is minutes from the city centre but the city council says the returns comes indirectly from tourist attraction and more business in other places.

What I'm really surprise is that Korean GP is one of the newest track and has been planned so badly. The location is very bad, the pit exit is wrong, the track is not used outside F1 event and the event schedule does not align with majority of sponsors, and so on.

Bernie, who is a pro businessman, should have seen all these before the 1st event. Somehow, these were overlooked which ends up costing Korea organizer a lot of money.

CHT
CHT

ringo wrote:I am sure a korean GP would be better if it was built closer to town.

The next new track in a developing country needs to be nearer the city.

It's not like europe where there are nice roads and hotels to go to the track and half the population can afford to go.

The track is great it just should have been in another setting.
The closer you get to the city, the more expensive will be the start up cost due to the land price. I believe the idea behind the Korean circuit is to use the track as a catalyst to develop a city around the track. However projects like this usually goes belly up very quickly as the early investors and developers will cash out before the project actually take off.

Singapore case is a little unique because the government is subsidizing a big chuck on the hosting fee and also much of the infrastructure around the marina bay track were already in placed before they decided to host F1.

CHT
CHT

This photo taken at Korea says it all.

Does anyone know what is happening to LH??

djos

CHT wrote:This photo taken at Korea says it all.

Martin: use the force Lewis!

8)

Seemed to work well, Lewis did a great job in Korea!
"In downforce we trust"

raymondu999

ringo wrote:I am sure a korean GP would be better if it was built closer to town.
To be fair on that note Ringo, there's not much else in Singapore :lol: It takes maybe an hour at most to get from one end of the country to the end. And I mean end.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

WhiteBlue

jamsbong wrote:What I'm really surprise is that Korean GP is one of the newest track and has been planned so badly. The location is very bad, the pit exit is wrong, the track is not used outside F1 event and the event schedule does not align with majority of sponsors, and so on.

Bernie, who is a pro businessman, should have seen all these before the 1st event. Somehow, these were overlooked which ends up costing Korea organizer a lot of money.
Hindsight is a wonderfull thing. The plan was never to haver F1 in an empty back country. They were supposed to build a city around the race track. The plan bombed when the investors found out that the 2010 CEO of the circuit was involved in dubious financial activities and sacked him.

It is not impossible that they will go through with the plan as there is a lively motor industry in Korea. If they want to run the GP for seven years they better get on and do it. Otherwise they may have to pull the plug on the whole project.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

jamsbong

WhiteBlue wrote:Hindsight is a wonderfull thing. The plan was never to haver F1 in an empty back country. They were supposed to build a city around the race track. The plan bombed when the investors found out that the 2010 CEO of the circuit was involved in dubious financial activities and sacked him.

It is not impossible that they will go through with the plan as there is a lively motor industry in Korea. If they want to run the GP for seven years they better get on and do it. Otherwise they may have to pull the plug on the whole project.
I didn't realise there was corruption involved. That sux! but also explains why things look so bad right now.
Lets hope they can put their heads together and salvage what is left.

CHT
CHT

Does anyone have video links to Korea's post race conference?

i70q7m7ghw

djos wrote:Re Webber, it's simple, Vettel is 15 kilos lighter and a fair bit shorter than Mark and as a result has more ballast to play with and a lower center of gravity. That sort of thing is Gold in F1.
This is mostly irrelevant. Weight distribution has been fixed this year, so the only gain from 'free ballast' is center of gravity. If anything, by this logic Vettel should have had a bigger advantage last year.

Let's just hope Webber is able to hit the ground running next year.

Traction

CHT wrote:This photo taken at Korea says it all.

now theres speculation that his long period of seperation from his girlfriend is putting a strain on there relationship...maybe that is why he looked pretty upset at qualifying....
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

Jeffsvilleusa

WhiteBlue wrote:They were supposed to build a city around the race track.
You have got to admit that this is a totally unrealistic expectation for an F1 track! Anyway, the way I see it is, they spent $???,???,??? on building the track, so aren't they kind of obligated to get a certain stay on the calendar?
Box! Box!

raymondu999

Jeffsvilleusa wrote:they spent $???,???,??? on building the track, so aren't they kind of obligated to get a certain stay on the calendar?
Like the other tracks that are gone then? :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Richard

Personally, I think this track is giving us some good racing, although the empty stands and the reports of 5 hour overland journeys to get there from Seoul are worrying.

Yes, LH is subdued but he now seems reflective rather than angry. So hopefully that reflective mood will help him get back on his feet. Its a touching picture to see him with Whitmarsh, it says more to me about how Whitmarsh approaches his role in nurtirg his team.