Abu Dhabi GP 2011 - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
WhiteBlue

Re: Abu Dhabi GP 2011 - Yas Marina

This early race end for Vettel stole the suspense from the race. It could have been a nice battle. The way Hamilton drove it home was a bit boring but nicely done by him. Good to see him smiling again. Alonso was very happy with second which is strange to see, but he made good progress in the points, so that may explain it. It looks like DRS can spice up this GP a bit. At least we did not get a repeat of a top driver being stuck behind a mid fielder.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

mx_tifoso

WhiteBlue wrote:This early race end for Vettel stole the suspense from the race.
Honestly, that is what would have made the race worth watching. I woke up only to see the podium cars pull in but now I will most certainly watch it in full later today.

And unfortunately Perez was out of the points but yet again Sauber increase the gap to STR little by little with Kobayashi's 10th place.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Steven
Owner

Vasco wrote:Solid drive from Lewis and Fernando....it would have been a mighty battle for the lead had Vettel not had the puncture.
I am not entirely convinced a race with Vettel would have been better. People have said before that Red Bull's race pace was getting less impressive, but then Vettel ran away from everybody in the first ten laps and controlled the rest of the race.

Of course we're not sure how it would have been at Yas Marina, but Vettel did have half a second advantage after just one corner...

raymondu999

Just as an aside; has anyone noticed Button is out of Hamilton's reach in terms of standings?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

myurr

To be fair it is possibly due to pushing that hard on the exit from turn 1, and therefore running over the kerb, that caused his puncture.

beelsebob

myurr wrote:To be fair it is possibly due to pushing that hard on the exit from turn 1, and therefore running over the kerb, that caused his puncture.
My pet bet is that there was a fleck of carbon fibre in the dip in the kerb, and that he picked it up.

ringo

The tyre look liked it just rolled off the rim. Vettel running scared and driving too hard.
His tyre temps probably weren't high enough to bring up the tyre pressure.

I'm kinda flad he fell out, so we could see the Hamlonso show, but it would be nice to see what Vettel could have done, and also what Hamilton would have done chasing Vettel.

This race was nice with DRS though, especially the start. Lots of action.
They should get rid of the first DRS zone though. It's silly seeing drivers trade places twice.
Webber would have been on the podium if there was just 1 DRS.
For Sure!!

Shrieker

I think Vettel would've done it. As someone else have already mentioned, he was gone after the first corner... But now I unfortunately believe whatever Red Bull are doing for Q3 and the first laps of the race, Webber doesn't have. It's not just the tyres. And very well it might not be just an engine mapping thing. So even with the exhaust positions mandated and engine maps banned, Red Bull may still retain some of their Q3/first laps of race magic until others finally work out what it is - if ever. Having said that, Webber scoring pole in Silverstone which had restriction on engine mapping is worth a mention; maybe it's just Vettel managing to extract that little bit extra with the engine mapping settings.

Hamilton has won, good for him but he was kinda robbed of his chance to challenge Vettel. I don't think he cares (at least for now) given his recent woes though. Also congrats to Button in becoming the first team mate to beat Lewis over a season.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

raymondu999

Shrieker - if not engine mapping, what area are you thinking in?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Gerhard Berger

Shrieker wrote:I think Vettel would've done it. As someone else have already mentioned, he was gone after the first corner...
I don't think you can extrapolate what happened in one corner to the rest of the race.

PlatinumZealot

Shrieker wrote:I think Vettel would've done it. As someone else have already mentioned, he was gone after the first corner... But now I unfortunately believe whatever Red Bull are doing for Q3 and the first laps of the race, Webber doesn't have. It's not just the tyres. And very well it might not be just an engine mapping thing. So even with the exhaust positions mandated and engine maps banned, Red Bull may still retain some of their Q3/first laps of race magic until others finally work out what it is - if ever. Having said that, Webber scoring pole in Silverstone which had restriction on engine mapping is worth a mention; maybe it's just Vettel managing to extract that little bit extra with the engine mapping settings.

Hamilton has won, good for him but he was kinda robbed of his chance to challenge Vettel. I don't think he cares (at least for now) given his recent woes though. Also congrats to Button in becoming the first team mate to beat Lewis over a season.
It had to take Hamilton's worst ever season and a WDC level teammate to beat him. his unbeatable lifetime record is gone. I am sure it will not happen again.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

wesley123

Was the first race i saw in like 3 races, made good sleep, but what I saw was Maldonado ignoring Blue flags for a full lap, I heard the BBC commentators say it already was the second time that race. This raises me the question, since it isnt the first race he breaks such rules or causes havoc on purpose on track, what makes the stewards stil lallow him to drive? in my view this guy barely knows the rules. Then later, Bruno Senna holds up someone for 3 turns or so, where he barely could make space, and he gets a drive through penalty, what is the difference between one doing it twice in a race and one who cannot simply make space, safely?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Traction

Well at least Vettel can't be blamed this time for making the race boring :lol: . Hamilton went out front after been gifted the lead and no one was able to challenge him. Lead from near start to end bar a few laps. Just as well no one was there to challenge him as it probably would have resulted in a crash again and ruined his race.

Webber was seriously pathetic in a car that is a capable of so much more.

Alonso was great in a car that offered little but still kept up with Hamilton for most parts.

Button...oh well....great pit stop positioning.

Happy with Rosberg....
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

Shrieker

n smikle wrote: It had to take Hamilton's worst ever season and a WDC level teammate to beat him. his unbeatable lifetime record is gone. I am sure it will not happen again.
I've said it before and say it again, Button was never worried about beating Vettel, he knew he couldn't with the car he had and just got on with the job. Lewis on the other hand wants to win and took many risks with an inferior car, most ending in tears. But there were some uncharacteristic mistakes too - like his spin while leading Hungary or like his clash with Kobayashi at Spa. After being beaten by a driver like Button the only consolation he might get from 2011 is winning at Interlagos putting him in front both in terms of qualy performance and race wins which will only be scant anyway.
raymondu999 wrote:Shrieker - if not engine mapping, what area are you thinking in?
Last year some people (especially McLaren) were b***ing about ride height control. They went silent later on; maybe it's not something as drastic as that but little aggressive changes to the car here and there that could only be used for a few laps that can make a difference.
Last edited by Shrieker on 13 Nov 2011, 19:06, edited 6 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk