Abu Dhabi GP 2011 - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Ray

Re: Abu Dhabi GP 2011 - Yas Marina

I wish Lee McKenzie did the commentating for the BBC rather than Brundle. Don't get me wrong, I like Brundle. But Lee has that silky smooth voice, shame she's relegated to doing snippets and short interviews. I think I'm in love! :D

Good race, shame to see Seb go off on the first corner. Maybe after the pity party Lewis had at the beginning of the BBC coverage, and his ridiculous support from the broadcast team after his lame excuses about his form, and being basically handed a perfect chance at a win off of Sebs' misfortune he'll get back to his true form of kicking ass every weekend. I'm happy to see him get out of that dark cloud that's been following him, but for a man of his talent and age the pity party was a blatant sign of mental weakness. Cry in private, kickass on track. I know he can do it.

Ray

jamsbong wrote:
CHT wrote:RBR does look very ordinary without Vettel around. Wonder if Vettel would have won the race if he didnt have the tyre failure.
I'm quite sure that Vettel would have made it look easy if he didn't have the puncture.

Usually Webber lost the race quite early from bad starts, inability to care for tires, lack of overtakings, and sometimes unlucky pitstops. As a result, there is no need for him to create fastest laps near the end of the race. So what I don't get is why Webber never get warnings from Christian Horner for putting up fastest laps?
Because he was going after Button, without that much of a chance, and Massa was fighting with him for track position even though they weren't racing wheel to wheel. Up until Massa threw it off the road (why does he have a Ferrari seat again?) he was trying his best to pull enough of a gap to maintain fourth on a 3 stop strategy.

Arunas
Arunas

Have anybody pictures of Weber draging somethig beneath his car during race? It seems this costed him substantial amount of DF, or am I dreaming?

beelsebob
beelsebob

Arunas wrote:Have anybody pictures of Weber draging somethig beneath his car during race? It seems this costed him substantial amount of DF, or am I dreaming?
He did have something dragging under his car. Who knows how much downforce it cost though.

ell66
ell66

Ray wrote:I wish Lee McKenzie did the commentating for the BBC rather than Brundle. Don't get me wrong, I like Brundle. But Lee has that silky smooth voice, shame she's relegated to doing snippets and short interviews. I think I'm in love! :D

Good race, shame to see Seb go off on the first corner. Maybe after the pity party Lewis had at the beginning of the BBC coverage, and his ridiculous support from the broadcast team after his lame excuses about his form, and being basically handed a perfect chance at a win off of Sebs' misfortune he'll get back to his true form of kicking ass every weekend. I'm happy to see him get out of that dark cloud that's been following him, but for a man of his talent and age the pity party was a blatant sign of mental weakness. Cry in private, kickass on track. I know he can do it.
lame excuses about his form? get real ray.

He's just split up with his long term partner and had two of his close freind pass away recently, you obviously have never competed in any sport at a high level, because if you had of youd realise the mind is everything, and if your not in a good place its allmost impossible to perform at your best.

beelsebob
beelsebob

He's just split up with his long term partner and had two of his close freind pass away recently, you obviously have never competed in any sport at a high level, because if you had of youd realise the mind is everything, and if your not in a good place its allmost impossible to perform at your best.
He's obviously never experienced loss in his life. Anyone who's lost someone close to them will tell you that it puts you off your game for a bit, whether you're in top flight sports or not.

PlatinumZealot

What lewis did in abu dhabi is what Vettel gets the chance to do every race. Run away from lap one and control the race. Anybody can do it if the car is fast enough and you are leading 2 seconds by lap 2. And that is why I really fear Alonso in the fastest car for 2012.

Some people are really two faced you know. On friday they were yelping that mclaren surely must be the fastest car. the same on saturday.. but all of a Sudden on Sunday, somehow, Vettel would have won the race? How, when his car is not the fastest? Or was it really the fastest all the time and he turns on a magic switch on Sunday? LOL!!! Talk about flip flops. I mean don't get me wrong... I think Vettel would have won, but the way opinions change.. and I am not really refering to this website, just the f1 community in general.

Looking forward to a 100% rainy Brazil. Nothing will end the season better for a Mclaren fan than The Bawz dominantly crushing everybody in the Brazil rain. :wink: :wink: hehehe

Anyway. If I didn't say it before, I think Abu dhabi was a good race. Nice little battles were happening all throughout the field. MSC getting schooled but still finish one place behind Rosberg. Massa stretching Ferrais pity again. Webber just being shot in the foot by his own team again. That strategy suggested by Vettel was rubbish! Who let him near the telemetry screens?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

Pirelli have discovered the cause of the puncture :lol:

Btw, was Lewis wearing a special helmet this race? The finish seemed a bit more metallic
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MikeFromCanada

raymondu999 wrote: Btw, was Lewis wearing a special helmet this race? The finish seemed a bit more metallic
Ya it was a new helmet, made to shine under the lights. It was mentioned somewhere by either him or the team.

I think they did a good job on it.

Ray

ell66 wrote: lame excuses about his form? get real ray.
Yeah. Lame excuses. Like talking at length about how shitty the mirrors are on his car. Excuse. How Jenson has his dad around for support and he doesn't have his to be around him. Excuse. He FIRED his dad and went with some bullshit entertainment company as his management. He's caused himself nothing but grief by making stupid decisions like that. And being distraught over Nicole Scherzinger? Really? I refuse to believe Lewis is stupid enough to think that fake ass woman actually cared about him. She was there solely for the exposure and to help her career performing shitty music. Anyone with any common sense could see her ass leaving, she had the facade from day 1 in the paddock.

NOTHING about losing anyone close to him was mentioned on the BBC. It was mainly about him crying about his mirrors, how he has no one to support him now that he's fired his dad, and how he's not been in his special place. Apparently all that talent doesn't give Lewis any common sense. You make your bed you have to lay in it. You fire your dad as your support group and manager you can't complain about not having either later on. If you socially see a fake publicity whore, it's pretty obvious it's not going to work out. Hell, you could see her hamming it up for the cameras on day one in the McLaren pits. He's better off without her.

Now, I'm sorry to hear he's lost close friends. That's never good. When Lewis talked about his declining performance on the BBC broadcast it consisted of two things. The car being at fault for having shitty mirrors, and Jenson surrounding himself with people that care about him and not using him to further their careers. Both of those issues are not enough to cause the guy to be a wreckless (sometimes) on track and cry to the press that his bad form and stupid moves on track are because of his skin color. If you fire your dad from managing your affairs, you can't complain when he's not around and blame your lack of performance on him. His lack of form is because he's weak mentally and he's trying to make every excuse he can to deflect blame off himself. Haven't heard Jenson complain about the mirrors, and he drove a stunning race on Sunday. Who gets all the press? Lewis. Cause he's a crybaby whiner when things don't go his way.

You don't have to be a world class athlete to see stupid decisions being made. We all know Lewis is better than this, I know he's better than this. I want him to do better, having more than one guy winning is more fun. He came in with a bang and there's no reason for him to still not be kicking ass. If he'd get his head screwed on straight, stop making stupid decisions, and surround himself with people that are there for the right reasons then he'd be alot better. But to blame those things rather than himself for causing them to happen is lame excuses on his part.

Richard
Richard

The lad is having to grow up under a spotlight. We've all made stupid decisions in our 20's that embarrass us when we're in our 30's, he's no different.

Other divers start off in a lesser team where they can make their mistakes out of the media glare. Alonso, Schumacher and Vettel had 4 or 5 years before they were thrust into the WDC spotlight

lebesset
lebesset

richard_leeds wrote:The lad is having to grow up under a spotlight. We've all made stupid decisions in our 20's that embarrass us when we're in our 30's, he's no different.

Other divers start off in a lesser team where they can make their mistakes out of the media glare. Alonso, Schumacher and Vettel had 4 or 5 years before they were thrust into the WDC spotlight
embarrass us in our thirties ? and forties , fifties and so on ; not infinitum , fortunately

hamilton has won at every level because he is simply the fastest ,the thing that you cannot learn , you have it or you don't...but in F1 that is not enough

if he can learn when to hold 'em etc he will be the greatest since jim clark , maybe even his equal
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

raymondu999

Ray wrote:And being distraught over Nicole Scherzinger? Really?
That's quite an interesting one actually. A certain young German double world champion said the following several years back:
Sebastian Vettel wrote:never bring your girlfriend to work with you. If my girlfriend was here I would probably feel the necessity to look after her
NOTHING about losing anyone close to him was mentioned on the BBC.
Christian Bakkerud and Martin Hines were two dear friends of his that passed away (bless them) before the Singaporean GP. He had MH and CB (their initials) on his helmet then. I'm not saying this was the cause for his form; I'm just correcting a few facts.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Ray

raymondu999 wrote:
Ray wrote:NOTHING about losing anyone close to him was mentioned on the BBC.
Christian Bakkerud and Martin Hines were two dear friends of his that passed away (bless them) before the Singaporean GP. He had MH and CB (their initials) on his helmet then. I'm not saying this was the cause for his form; I'm just correcting a few facts.
Ah, well then. I stand corrected. I didn't see that on his helmet in Singapore and nothing was mentioned that I saw on this weekends BBC broadcast. I missed it and thanks for the correction.

ell66
ell66

Ray wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
Ray wrote:NOTHING about losing anyone close to him was mentioned on the BBC.
Ah, well then. I stand corrected. I didn't see that on his helmet in Singapore and nothing was mentioned that I saw on this weekends BBC broadcast. I missed it and thanks for the correction.

He never said the mirrors were responsible for him driving poorly, all he said was they shake a lot down the straights and on that instance he didn't see massa.
and you continue to bring the issue of lewis firing his dad, newsflash we all make mistakes and at a time where he's split with his girlfriend and lost two close friends he obviously wanted his family with him, supporting him, especially as his form was pretty poor at the time, .................... haters gonna hate spring to mind?
Last edited by Giblet on 17 Nov 2011, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments