Abu Dhabi GP 2011 - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Richard

Re: Abu Dhabi GP 2011 - Yas Marina

ahem - other WDC drivers have girlfriends at the track too, so why single out Hamilton? Surely Vettel is the odd one out?

This is seriously off topic!

ps - the last picture is Manuel Fangio & Peter Collins at Monaco 1956. Fangio jumped out of his car after it got damaged and commandeered Collins car. They shared points for second place. Makes today's team orders seem rather tame!

"Massa, Alonso is slower than you .... give him your car"
Last edited by Richard on 16 Nov 2011, 16:33, edited 2 times in total.

lebesset

http://www.pitpass.com/45252-Pirelli-ru ... abi-demise

maybe they didn't design the tyre to go off track at full load and below their stated minimum pressure
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

LionKing

Tire was already gone before Vettel left the track.

beelsebob

LionKing wrote:Tire was already gone before Vettel left the track.
Yep, the tyre went just on the entry to turn 2, you saw him wobble, save it, wobble again, and spin off.

i70q7m7ghw

Ray wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
Ray wrote:NOTHING about losing anyone close to him was mentioned on the BBC.
Christian Bakkerud and Martin Hines were two dear friends of his that passed away (bless them) before the Singaporean GP. He had MH and CB (their initials) on his helmet then. I'm not saying this was the cause for his form; I'm just correcting a few facts.
Ah, well then. I stand corrected. I didn't see that on his helmet in Singapore and nothing was mentioned that I saw on this weekends BBC broadcast. I missed it and thanks for the correction.
Actually Singapore was the only time Lewis spoke to Brundle on the grid on the BBC this year, and he did it to mention the initials on his helmet and why they were there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pBx3v6vQlo

ringo

Shumacher tyre failed near the end.
F1 Pirellis are rubish. :lol:
For Sure!!

thatnoone

still.. no definite answer to this tyre failure?
so much for pinnacle of sport/technology..
politics?

beelsebob

thatnoone wrote:still.. no definite answer to this tyre failure?
politics?
Well of course not – one of Red Bull or Pirelli made a serious cock up, neither will ever admit which it was.

lebesset

beelsebob wrote:
politics?
Well of course not – one of Red Bull or Pirelli made a serious cock up, neither will ever admit which it was.
presuming that they know the truth ..quite right

but on the basis that RBR have history for pushing the margins on things like tyre pressures , and the car didn't keep all 4 wheels on the track until the tyres were up to pressure , balance of probabilities for the problem ? Smiling Seb giving it a little too much large ..he zoomed away from hamilton who seemed to get away just fine
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Richard

Also bear in mind the tyre was completely trashed as Vettel did a near complete lap back to the pits.

I guess Pirelli could do materials testing to check the components were within specification, and maybe they could take a few sample strips from the bits of carcass that survived the journey back to the pits to check the layers and reinforcement were bonded correctly.

However, if the materials were in spec, I doubt they could precisely determine the actual cause because any local defect (or external action to cause a defect) at the point of failure would be undetectable.

The other aspect is that the failure may be specific to how RB use the tyres, and that would remain confidential to the team.

raymondu999

I thought the entire tyre surface fell off in a ring kind of thing and actually Pirelli retrieved that.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Traction

lebesset wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
politics?
presuming that they know the truth ..quite right

but on the basis that RBR have history for pushing the margins on things like tyre pressures , and the car didn't keep all 4 wheels on the track until the tyres were up to pressure , balance of probabilities for the problem ? Smiling Seb giving it a little too much large ..he zoomed away from hamilton who seemed to get away just fine
Are you seriously trying to imply that the tyre bursting was Sebs fault?
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

Pierce89

Actually he's saying it's probably Red Bull's fault. Which seems likely with the Newey predilection for running on the edge.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher