Brazilian GP 2011 - Interlagos

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mariano.torre.gomez

Re: Brazilian GP 2011 - Interlagos

Still trying to understand rosberg's 1 12 xxx on Q2?
a mosquito at his ar..e?

mnmracer

About Vettel's gearbox problems
Just re-watched some of the race on the Dutch RTL GP channel (normally watch BBC), and the commentator said the Jean Eric Vergne also had some gear-box issues with (Vettel's?) Red Bull at the young driver's test in Abu Dhabi.

Either it's a very well-prepaired conspiracy, or there really were problems with it.

raymondu999

I would think Vergne was allowed another box. It's not exactly fair to handicap one driver as such
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CHT
CHT

mnmracer wrote:About Vettel's gearbox problems
Just re-watched some of the race on the Dutch RTL GP channel (normally watch BBC), and the commentator said the Jean Eric Vergne also had some gear-box issues with (Vettel's?) Red Bull at the young driver's test in Abu Dhabi.

Either it's a very well-prepaired conspiracy, or there really were problems with it.
RBR are just on top over everyone this year. they won the WDC, WCC, break the pole record, and now the best scripted team order of the year.

I wont imaging that if not for Vettel "gearbox" issue, this race will be very boring to watch.

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

kalinka

Good point (froma another forum ) >

"On lap 45, with two dodgy gears, 19 laps after being advised he had a SERIOUS gearbox problem, Vettel set a fastest lap."

How was that possible if it was a real problem ?

MrBlacky

Vettel just didn't care? Like both of the driver do.

Horner: "We don't need another fast lap."

> Fastest lap Mark Webber.

mnmracer

kalinka wrote:Good point (froma another forum ) >

"On lap 45, with two dodgy gears, 19 laps after being advised he had a SERIOUS gearbox problem, Vettel set a fastest lap."

The oil was leaking out. He could drive fast, but the faster he drove, the faster he'd run out of oil.

jamsbong

Thanks for the Ted Kravitz video blog Raymond. Lots of good stuff from him.

Looks like even Ted is indicating that Vettel >> Webber. hehe...

Button has been impressive this year as he has clearly proved everyone (including myself) wrong. I think majority of your speed for the race comes from a "perfect" preparation from those practice sessions. Perhaps Hamilton has not been focused or diligent compared to Button in these preparations. Hamilton always had the speed but if he has not prepare the car well. Then the car might not bring enough heat to the tires or the DRS-gear_ratios are not optimum or the tire wear rate is too high. I suspect this to be the main reason why Button has been better overall.

Has anyone got news on Kimi? Brundle said the Williams-Kimi deal is no more.

PlatinumZealot

jamsbong wrote:
Also, I don't think the car Red Bull is that fast at all. I think Mclarens and RedBull are on par in terms of performance. Just have a look at Webber, Button and Hamilton. These guys all had their share of points.
Did you watch the race? :lol:

Sorry Jamsbong, but I saw a crippled RB6 outpacing a fully firing Maclaren. Not to mention outqualifying two Mclarens by half a second on a 75 second lap!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

kalinka wrote:Good point (froma another forum ) >

The gearbox will still work fine as long as there is enough oil in the box.
The problem Vettel had was a RISK of losing 2nd gear. Luckily, 2nd gear is only used twice around the lap and as long as the synchros stayed below 16,000rpm they worked.

The time it takes to rev from 16000rpm to 18,000 rpm in 2nd gear in a F1 car is very short. :wink:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

beelsebob wrote:So Martin Whitmarsh was saying that Hamilton's 7th gear failed very early in the race – he was trying to overtake Massa in 6th gear.
Holy Cow! 8) Sometimes we just never know right?

It was getting interesting as Hamilton was gaining on Button... But alas.. Any way a crappy season for Hamilton - happens to every driver so at least he got it out of the way in a Non - winning car.

And when I say non-wining car I really mean it! As an honest and unbiased viewer I actually do believe that Vettel could have won every single race of 2011.

1. China - wrong strategy by team

2. Canada - skid off the track (it happens to every one)

3. Silverstone - Pit stop error by team

4. Germany - Got scared in front of the home crowd and under performed. - could have won.

5. Hungary - Got scared in front of the Bossy and pitstop error. - could have won.

6. Japan - Pit too early and Got caught in traffic

7. Abu-dhabi - Tyre Failure

8. Brazil - Gearbox failure

Yerp - he could have had 8 more wins.

Anyone who doubts the potentially unstoppable combination of Vettel and RB7 must be deluded.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

jamsbong

n smikle wrote:
jamsbong wrote:
Also, I don't think the car Red Bull is that fast at all. I think Mclarens and RedBull are on par in terms of performance. Just have a look at Webber, Button and Hamilton. These guys all had their share of points.
Did you watch the race? :lol:

Sorry Jamsbong, but I saw a crippled RB6 outpacing a fully firing Maclaren. Not to mention outqualifying two Mclarens by half a second on a 75 second lap!
If you compare the three drivers, Hamilton, Webber and Button, then Button is actually better than Hamilton (no surprise there) and both Mclaren drivers are actually better than Webber. Out of the 19 races, Webber is ahead 5 times, Button 8 times and Hamilton 6 times.

Sure if you're refering to the last race, the RB7 was definitely better on that day. If you take Vettel out of the picture, there is nothing special about the RB7 that the Mclarens can't do.

Shrieker

Surely that's what Marko and Horner would have everyone believe. If nothing, 2010 tells us that Webber is on a par with Vettel if given equal equipment. Talent doesn't just dissappear over winter. And you can't explain everything about the huge gap between the two team mates with the tyre brand being different from 2010.

If you aske me, had Vettel still have beaten Webber with equal equipment ? Yes. Was Webber given it ? No.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

LionKing

Shrieker wrote:Surely that's what Marko and Horner would have everyone believe. If nothing, 2010 tells us that Webber is on a par with Vettel if given equal equipment. Talent doesn't just dissappear over winter. And you can't explain everything about the huge gap between thbee two team mates with the tyre brand being different from 2010.

If you aske me, had Vettel still have beaten Webber with equal equipment ? Yes. Was Weber given it ? No.
Last year was not that different to this year, only it was masked by reliability issues and other staff.

It was 12-7 in races last year.
Off the seven races that Webber finished in front:
Vettel was comfortably first and leading at Hungary before he got the penalty.
Vettel was in front of Webber when he caused the accident at Spa.
He was leading at Australia before his mechanical DNF.

Much better reliability compared to this year and Vettel not repeating last year's errors just made it obvious this year.