Malaysian GP 2012 - Sepang International Circuit

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Re: Malaysian GP 2012 - Sepang International Circuit

Hamilton hasn't had a great record here to be fair; other than his 2007 1-2 with Alonso. In 2008 he was outqualified by Kovalainen and outraced - Kovalainen ended 3rd and Hamilton 5th. After his first pitstop he came out behind a 1-stopping Webber (in a then-midfield-at-best Red Bull) and couldn't overtake him even with his 19-lap fresher rubber (Ham pitted on L19). He only overtook Webber because Webber pitted. He was only 4 laps heavier too - Webber pitted on L40 and Lewis on L44.

He outqualified Heikki in 2009; but only by 0.019s. In 2010 qualifying Button outqualied him by some 8 tenths too. And in 2011 he had tyre troubles.

Malaysia is a bit of a bogey track for Lewis - but what do I know. Before 2011 Lewis never scored a Nurburgring point before :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Ferraripilot

I'm fullying expecting a Mercedes pole at this circuit. The Merc is very quick in the quick sectors and has the super f-duct for these two long straights.

godlameroso

It will be a dry race, and I have a feeling we will definitely be seeing an interesting result. There are five high speed corners three medium speed corners, and the rest is slow stuff, and heavy braking zones. The particularly interesting part is that trail breaking is the most important aspect of a fast lap, cars with the most front downforce will be fast here.
Saishū kōnā

raymondu999

godlameroso wrote:It will be a dry race
Are you taking money on that? :P

I don't think trail braking will be critical tbh. It's critical in a few corners - such as the penultimate corner and the double apex of 7 and 8; and also 11. If you don't have enough grip - maybe into Turn 6. But I don't see it as a game changer.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Hail22

raymondu999 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:It will be a dry race
Are you taking money on that? :P

I don't think trail braking will be critical tbh. It's critical in a few corners - such as the penultimate corner and the double apex of 7 and 8; and also 11. If you don't have enough grip - maybe into Turn 6. But I don't see it as a game changer.
Its 5am here, and already once I walked outside the hotel I was sweating like a fish in water....

97%.

Storms predicted for the rest of the week so I don't know about a dry race...as per say, exciting? I do hope so I would like to see a 2007/2008 Championship style year with such little room for error :P
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

raymondu999

Hail22 wrote:Storms predicted for the rest of the week so I don't know about a dry race...
It's a double edged sword. The forecast everyday is rain. Welcome to the tropics my friend :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Dann

I don't like the time slot for Sepang GP nowadays.
Until two years ago race was started at 2pm and finished around 4pm. Nowadays the race is started at 4pm. If thunderstorm happens within the final quarter (very likely), it'll be very dark & dangerous for drivers which may cause red flag.
Ticket payers would be angry as happened last year when Simonchelli crashed during MotoGP.
We may not be able to conclude the eventual pecking order.

sesku

Dann wrote:I don't like the time slot for Sepang GP nowadays.
Until two years ago race was started at 2pm and finished around 4pm. Nowadays the race is started at 4pm. If thunderstorm happens within the final quarter (very likely), it'll be very dark & dangerous for drivers which may cause red flag.
Ticket payers would be angry as happened last year when Simonchelli crashed during MotoGP.
We may not be able to conclude the eventual pecking order.
blame Bernie.
This letter is computer-generated ; no signature is required.

AdrianoZed

Lets hope the FIA stewards are more consistent this weekend.

Last week Maldonados "pass" on Grosjean took the french out of the race.
And this year they were suppose to have enforce the rule where drivers have to give enough room to one another. He should have received a penalty for that!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0aIuVHrm5k
Ayrton Senna "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver"
Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

myurr

AdrianoZed wrote:Lets hope the FIA stewards are more consistent this weekend.

Last week Maldonados "pass" on Grosjean took the french out of the race.
And this year they were suppose to have enforce the rule where drivers have to give enough room to one another. He should have received a penalty for that!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0aIuVHrm5k
I agree that he should have received at the very least an investigation and warning for bullying the other car like that, as should Massa for his dirty move on Senna, but the rule you are quoting is specifically for the defending driver when they move off line to defend. Think back to schumacher last year when he was defending against Hamilton in Monza. He would sweep over to the inside to defend and block the overtake and then pull back to the racing line to take the corner. With this rule he'd be able to sweep over to defend but in doing so would have to compromise his entry to the next corner.

ParanoiD

as people said that some times the rain here could be local.

How about a rain in just few corners in the sector 2, and dry in the sector 1 and 3.
That would be interesting :D

anyway, how many rainmaster do we have on a capable cars? Schumi,Hamilton,Vettel,Raikkonen?
Ay Carumba!

raymondu999

We have 4 rainmeisters as you say - and Raikkonen's rally experience might have made him a bit stronger in the rain. Don't forget Button - the dampmeister
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

myurr

ParanoiD wrote:as people said that some times the rain here could be local.

How about a rain in just few corners in the sector 2, and dry in the sector 1 and 3.

anyway, how many rainmaster do we have on a capable cars? Schumi,Hamilton,Vettel,Raikkonen?
Despite the FIAs best attempts to completely ruin it, the battle between Hamilton and Raikkonen in the rain at Spa remains one of my favourite on track battles of all time. I still remember the tension and excitement of watching it live.

A repeat of that would be awesome. My fear with rain in Malaysia is that they don't seem to do it in half measures and Whiting seems to be overly cautious in tricky conditions these days. I fear we're more likely to end up with a red flag than an epic on track battle.

raymondu999

Notes from Xevi Pujolar on Twitter:

T1-2 slow speed corners, with warp towards T2. Good line to T2 required for exit speed.
braking for T4 is bumpy. Slow speed corner with shallow kerbs. Again some warp on the track.
high speed corners T5-6, good challenge for the drivers and tyres!
T7-8 is understeer territory. Medium speed corner, hard on left front tyre
T9 is low speed corner. Also warp on track. Hard on traction
T11 medium speed corner. Difficult braking with lateral loading
T12-13 easy high speed section but hard for the tyres.
T14 braking under lateral loading is difficult and good exit is required for the straight.
highest speed is either T15 or T1 depending on the wind direction.
T15 is hard braking for long slow speed corner leading to main straight
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

banibhusan

ParanoiD wrote:as people said that some times the rain here could be local.

That would be freaking awesome mate.

Imagine a completely changeable weather condition. Something like at one instant it rains in sector 2 and stays dry in sectors 1 and 3, and at the other instant it rains in sector 1 and stays dry in sectors 2 and 3. :lol:

It'll be a complete chaos.