Spanish GP 2012 - Barcelona

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
joebravo

Re: Spanish GP 2012 - Barcelona

I see Senna car where the champion car??

i70q7m7ghw

Just to comment on the Pirelli tyre argument. My issue is not the high deg, we had that last year and it was great. The problem has been this years tyres have been massively inconsistant. It's almost as if Pirelli issue random batches of 'bogey tyres'. You can have a driver go out on a set of tyres and complain of no grip or poor balance, come in, bolt on a set of exactly the same compound and then suddenly set a purple lap.

Teams are yo-yoing up and down the pecking order from race to race, and it all seems to be because of the tyres.

There's great racing, and then there's artificial handicapping. Does anyone here actually believe the Williams is +1:18.140 faster than the McLaren?

It seems the name of the game this year is qualifying on the front row, lead the first stint and cruise to victory while the everybody behind has to save tyres.
Last edited by i70q7m7ghw on 13 May 2012, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

joseff

Diesel wrote:Fire started in the other side of the garage, possibly from Pastor's car.
That car should be in Parc Fermé.

i70q7m7ghw

I did say possibly, jeez.

Ral
Ral

Best race in Barcelona by far in.. literally decades. I'm not sure why Lotus tried another set of softs seeing as how neither of their drivers could keep up with Maldonado and Alonso on the first set. Raikkonen seemed to suggest in his post-race interview that the third set of hards was in no condition to be used in the race?

Shame about the fuel cock-up for Hamilton. By far the best performance over the weekend by him and I think he would have taken it by a country mile if he had started from pole.

Amazing win for Maldonado and Williams. Now let's just hope nobody got seriously hurt in that fire :(

Diesel wrote:Just to comment on the Pirelli tyre argument. My issue is not the high deg, we had that last year and it was great. The problem has been this years tyres have been massively inconsistant. It's almost as if Pirelli issue random batches of 'bogey tyres'. You can have a driver go out on a set of tyres and complain of no grip or poor balance, come in, bolt on a set of exactly the same compound and then suddenly set a purple lap.
Sam Michaels was interviewed saying exactly the opposite regarding consistency. He said the tyres are tricky to get working, but at least they're consistent between sets. It's the conditions and how the tyres react to them that's tricky, but again, Sam Michaels said at least that's the same for all the teams.

mx_tifoso

Please direct garage fire related comments here :
:arrow: Williams Garage Fire
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Donuts

What did Lotus GP do? Or rather did'nt do! Having both drivers lapping 1-1.5 seconds faster than Maldonado and Alonso on the last 10-15 laps and maintaining that on the last lap. They should have switched tyres five or more laps earlier! Strategy in the bin!
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

Banki

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Hmm 30 lap on hard tyre with a good pace I think it's fantastic.

AnthonyG

Donuts wrote:What did Lotus GP do? Or rather did'nt do! Having both drivers lapping 1-1.5 seconds faster than Maldonado and Alonso on the last 10-15 laps and maintaining that on the last lap. They should have switched tyres five or more laps earlier! Strategy in the bin!
I think track conditions came to them. (It's a guess though)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Donuts

AnthonyG wrote:
Donuts wrote:What did Lotus GP do? Or rather did'nt do! Having both drivers lapping 1-1.5 seconds faster than Maldonado and Alonso on the last 10-15 laps and maintaining that on the last lap. They should have switched tyres five or more laps earlier! Strategy in the bin!
Lotus should have won, nop matter the poor start. They sticked to their strategy, which was a wrong decision. If they would have pitted before Alonso and Maldonado, I think they would have won. Both Alonso and Maldonado gained a lot when the Lotuses stayed out on old tyres.
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

mozza_84

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

fantastic drive from hamilton just goes to show he can conserves tyres i can tell you this with confidense that should hamilton started from the front he would of won. beats why button stuggles with new upgrades and hamilton can set a lap over half second quicker than anyone else.

TheRMVR

Donuts wrote:
AnthonyG wrote:
Lotus should have won, nop matter the poor start. They sticked to their strategy, which was a wrong decision. If they would have pitted before Alonso and Maldonado, I think they would have won. Both Alonso and Maldonado gained a lot when the Lotuses stayed out on old tyres.
At no point could Raikkonen keep up with Alonso/Maldonado except for the last stint. I don't think they could've easily won.

i70q7m7ghw

If Kimi had pitted earlier he would have struggled at the end of the race on a heavily worn set of tyres, just look at Alonso, he fell right back towards Kimi in the end.

Fact is once Alonso & Maldonado had built up that lead at the start there wasn't much anyone could do to reduce it, there just isn't enough rubber on the Pirelli tyres. If you get stuck behind another car this season your race gets destroyed because it's basically wasted rubber.

Unc1e_M0nty

Lotus were playing the long game and stuck rigidly to their strategy, they were too conservative early, I think if Kimi has just out & out raced Alonso & Maldonado he'd have had a better shot at the win.

myurr

Unc1e_M0nty wrote:Lotus were playing the long game and stuck rigidly to their strategy, they were too conservative early, I think if Kimi has just out & out raced Alonso & Maldonado he'd have had a better shot at the win.
Lotus chose the wrong tyres for their second stint. They were on their back foot from there on in.