Spanish GP 2012 - Barcelona

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
myurr

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

mozza_84 wrote:fantastic drive from hamilton just goes to show he can conserves tyres i can tell you this with confidense that should hamilton started from the front he would of won. beats why button stuggles with new upgrades and hamilton can set a lap over half second quicker than anyone else.
It wasn't just a lucky setup on Saturday either as he carried that great pace into the race in very different conditions. That car is quick. Bodes well for the next couple of races. It's also a really good sign that their upgrades worked out the box.

Donuts

Re: Spanish GP 2012 - Barcelona

Diesel wrote:
Donuts wrote:What did Lotus GP do? Or rather did'nt do! Having both drivers lapping 1-1.5 seconds faster than Maldonado and Alonso on the last 10-15 laps and maintaining that on the last lap. They should have switched tyres five or more laps earlier! Strategy in the bin!
If Kimi had pitted earlier he would have struggled at the end of the race on a heavily worn set of tyres, just look at Alonso, he fell right back towards Kimi in the end.

Fact is once Alonso & Maldonado had built up that lead at the start there wasn't much anyone could do to reduce it, there just isn't enough rubber on the Pirelli tyres. If you get stuck behind another car this season your race gets destroyed because it's basically wasted rubber.
The fact that Kimi was still gaining a second on them both on his last lap is hardly a good strategy? To leave so much speed for the last lap. I am convinced that they had that pace for at least five more laps and so is Lotus GP it seems.
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

Donuts

TheRMVR wrote:At no point could Raikkonen keep up with Alonso/Maldonado except for the last stint. I don't think they could've easily won.
It would not have been an easy win, but considering the pace they had on friday compared to Ferrari and Williams, they should have pitted sooner. What were they thinking when they were a whole pitstop behind when there was only 22 laps left? How much did the Lotus's pace falter during the last 10-15 laps? Three laps more would have done it me thinks...

Could have/would have/should have... going to bed!
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

nacho

It kind of looked like Lotus made mistakes with their strategy but then again the gap to Alonso in the end was 3,5 seconds smaller than before the first pit stop.

What was surprising is that KR couldn't close the gap to Maldonado and Alonso with the second set of softs. Maybe with a set of hard he would have lost more, or maybe he would have been able to do a longer stint and avoid the very slow laps before second and third pit stops.

multisync

Forget all the nonsense about tyres and congratulate Williams for a super pole and win.

If any team needed such a shot in the arm it's them. This fire was unfortunate and hopefully no one is seriously hurt

Oh and didn't those Chelsea FC motifs look great on the Saubers

radosav

Donuts wrote:
Diesel wrote:
Donuts wrote:What did Lotus GP do? Or rather did'nt do! Having both drivers lapping 1-1.5 seconds faster than Maldonado and Alonso on the last 10-15 laps and maintaining that on the last lap. They should have switched tyres five or more laps earlier! Strategy in the bin!
If Kimi had pitted earlier he would have struggled at the end of the race on a heavily worn set of tyres, just look at Alonso, he fell right back towards Kimi in the end.

Fact is once Alonso & Maldonado had built up that lead at the start there wasn't much anyone could do to reduce it, there just isn't enough rubber on the Pirelli tyres. If you get stuck behind another car this season your race gets destroyed because it's basically wasted rubber.
The fact that Kimi was still gaining a second on them both on his last lap is hardly a good strategy? To leave so much speed for the last lap. I am convinced that they had that pace for at least five more laps and so is Lotus GP it seems.
it must have been confusing for Lotus to see kimi slower on softs in second stint than alonso and maldonado on hards, then kimi much slower in third stint on hards, and in last stint much much faster on set of hards than alonso and maldonado

Mestrades

I think that Lotus has ruined Kimmi's race. Probably in Monaco with a good saturday, we will see the sixth different winner with different cars in 6 races... That can be incredible!

i70q7m7ghw

Can't help but feel a Formula 1 victory is going to be incredibly devalued by the end of the season.

mx_tifoso

I can't deny that this tyre lottery situation is making the season enjoyable! But it does make it odd to not really know who is where in the pecking order. Although I don't agree with victories being devalued, as the same or more could be said for when a single car dominates like in recent years.

But I suppose the only sad reality is Ferrari's 1 car team. Given the penalty it just poured more salt on the usual wound.

Here's a great image:

Visca Catalunya!
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

AnthonyG

mx_tifoso wrote:But it does make it odd to not really know who is where in the pecking order.
I think it's something like.

1.Sauber
2.Red Bull and Lotus
4.McLaren
5.Williams
6.Mercedes
7.Ferrari
8.Force India
9.Toro Rosso
10.Caterham
11.Virgin
12.HRT

(off course dependant on what the track characteristics are, but in general...)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

beelsebob

AnthonyG wrote:
mx_tifoso wrote:But it does make it odd to not really know who is where in the pecking order.
I think it's something like.

1.Sauber
2.Red Bull and Lotus
4.McLaren
5.Williams
6.Mercedes
7.Ferrari
8.Force India
9.Toro Rosso
10.Caterham
11.Virgin
12.HRT

(off course dependant on what the track characteristics are, but in general...)
I have *no* idea how you put sauber first... I think your pecking order is fairly accurate, except for that... I'd say...
1. Red Bull, Lotus, McLaren (mostly depending on the track)
4. Williams
5. Ferrari
6. Mercedes
7. Sauber
8. From here the same.

As an aside... how the hell did Hamilton, the master of wearing out tyres, manage to make a set of hards last from lap 34 until the end?

Pierce89

so.. The championship leader(tied) only has the 7th fastest car, and Sauber is the best. I know things have been wild, but, in Charles Barkley's words: "Come on, man"
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

i70q7m7ghw

I think the pecking order is:-

1. Whoever gets the best batch of Pirelli's that weekend.
2. Everyone else.

AnthonyG

beelsebob wrote: I have *no* idea how you put sauber first...
Sauber had a bad strategy, but appart from that they were almost always under the wing of another car, and popping purple sectors from time to time.
Perez did a stint in clear air(10second gap) at the back during the first part of the race (I think after his first "real" pitstop) where he was the fastest man on track.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Ganxxta

Diesel wrote:I think the pecking order is:-

1. Whoever gets the best batch of Pirelli's that weekend.
2. Everyone else.
+1 this :?