Spanish GP 2012 - Barcelona

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
banibhusan

Re: Spanish GP 2012 - Barcelona

Why not NK? He also deserves to win a race. :D

FW17

What did LH run over during his first pitstop

raymondu999

banibhusan wrote:Why not NK? He also deserves to win a race. :D
Because he won't get his tyres in the window like De La Rosa will? d'oh :mrgreen:
WilliamsF1 wrote:What did LH run over during his first pitstop
wheelgun
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Hail22

raymondu999 wrote:
banibhusan wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:What did LH run over during his first pitstop
wheelgun
Nein!

It was his right rear tyre that was taken off...the mechanic was a bit lazy and didn't move it enough so when he moved the new tyre clipped the old one.

(Team radio when he asked if any mechanic was hurt).
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

chrys

Hail22 wrote:
It was his right rear tyre that was taken off...the mechanic was a bit lazy and didn't move it enough so when he moved the new tyre clipped the old one.

(Team radio when he asked if any mechanic was hurt).
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7LJ44UPrT4[/youtube]

raymondu999

The replays looked very much like he ran over (not clipped) a wheelgun (not a tyre). There was a distinct moment when the rear wheels left the ground in the slowmo replay. It was at ground level - and it was quite clearly a wheelgun. The mechanic was done and the gun was put between the left front and rear. I think he thought he ran a mechanic over as he then stopped and checked his left mirror.

Anyone know what was up with that Perez pitstop when the mechanic was gracefully doing his impression of a Cleopatra pose?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Hail22

raymondu999 wrote:The replays looked very much like he ran over (not clipped) a wheelgun (not a tyre). There was a distinct moment when the rear wheels left the ground in the slowmo replay. It was at ground level - and it was quite clearly a wheelgun.
look at it again...and watch the mechanic he craps himself after dropping the wheel while Hamilton was driving off...you can see his body language going "oh crap:...oh look there is a big black round object bobbing up...to which the mechanic grabs it...lord and behold...A TYRE! its a miracle!

Oh and also...the wheelgun hose, is curled up so its not within 50cm of the tyres...the mechanic threw it behind himself...failing to grab the old tyre ;)
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

cheapracer

Diesel wrote:Can't help but feel a Formula 1 victory is going to be incredibly devalued by the end of the season.
I agree,I think it's already in place but there's no doubt Madonaldo was podium place worthy without the Pirelli Lottery.

Of course the Pirelli press release indicates it has the support of the fans, they didn't ask me apparently ....
mx_tifoso wrote:I can't deny that this tyre lottery situation is making the season enjoyable!
Maybe to you but with respect, I want to see motor racing as a sport not an entertainment.If a car wins by 2 laps that's fine by me if the car/driver combo is simply better and that's where they deserve to be.

I however am against stupid technical rules that have made passing so difficult in recent history.
Last edited by cheapracer on 14 May 2012, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.

prince

This year's highly improved team is HRT !!! =D> =D> =D>

In 2011 Spanish GP, Seb finished as the race winner with a time of 1:39:03.301. Karthikeyan had finished the GP (Yes had finished the whole GP) with +5 Laps.

In 2012 Spanish GP, Pastor finished as the race winner with a time of 1:39:09.145. Just 6 seconds slower to last year's Seb's time. Incredibly, de la Rosa has finished this GP with JUST (YES JUST) +3 Laps!!! Two laps of improvement from last year. If they continue improving at this rate, imagine where they will be in next few years. =D> =D> =D>

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hail22

cheapracer wrote:
Diesel wrote:Can't help but feel a Formula 1 victory is going to be incredibly devalued by the end of the season.
I agree,I think it's already in place but there's no doubt Madonaldo was podium place worthy without the Pirelli Lottery.

Of course the Pirelli press release indicates it has the support of the fans, they didn't ask me apparently ....

They asked the fans with zip all technical knowledge, lack of common sense...go figure.

Anyone buy a ticket for Monaco? From that picture above the lottery seems to favor Massa of all people to win?!?!?! HAHAHAHA!

Gilles Villeneuve

raymondu999

I don't like it to be too open. I didn't even like the 2010 title fight. Title fights and GP victories should be something special - a revered event for a very exclusive club. It's like credit cards. Most have gold cards, and fewer have platinum cards (GP victories). Fewer still have the Amex black cards (world titles). If everyone has a platinum card, what the hell's a platinum card? I mean, in my view - it's all relative, and we like seeing how there are a group of people (the Alonsos, Hamiltons, Vettels etc) can rise up above the rest of the field and produce godly performances.

If anyone and everyone finds it easy to win - which, after Perez and Alonso in Malaysia, Rosberg in China and Maldonado here, I don't feel anything special about it - it''s good to have underdog victories, but not every other race weekend IMO.

I mean - Maldonado saying he could realistically mount a title charge now? I'll say no more.
cheapracer wrote:
mx_tifoso wrote:I can't deny that this tyre lottery situation is making the season enjoyable!
Maybe to you but with respect, I want to see motor racing as a sport not an entertainment.If a car wins by 2 laps that's fine by me if the car/driver combo is simply better and that's where they deserve to be.

I however am against stupid technical rules that have made passing so difficult in recent history.
Have to agree with cheapracer here. I like seeing standout performances. If everyone in the field has one, then... none of it stands out, relatively speaking. I like the races where, for example, you had Alonso and Vettel in Singapore 2010 pulling 1.1s a lap consistently for 61 laps from the rest of the field. The Hamilton 2008 Silverstone where everyone was getting raped head to toe in the rain. If everyone has one - then it's like my explanation above.

IMO it especially doesn't work in entertainment based on sports or some sort of competition because everyone is rooting for someone, and with such uncertainty in the formbook, it's frustrating to see the one you're rooting for not being competitive. Not all people watch just to see exciting racing - some watch to see their rooted-for driver excel.
Last edited by raymondu999 on 14 May 2012, 08:47, edited 2 times in total.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

AnthonyG

zyphro wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:His car was just really dialed--like Vettle last race, and Nico before. Same could happen to anyone in Monaco. I don't think anyone can predict who it's gonna be. Complete crap shoot. Anybody's game.
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 6812_n.jpg
Not true, in the end, a lot of teams have build fast cars and the top cars aren't perfect. The williams is better in comparison to other cars than the F2009, but no-one said racing was a lotery when that car scored a winn.
In the past teams that were fast, were also plagued by strategy problems not showing the potential. (Force India or Toyota are examples that come to my mind)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

megz

Miguel wrote:The question is: Did Alonso throw away the race by pushing to catch Pastor too hard on the beginning? Also, I thought Ferrari made a mistake with the last pit of Alonso. Seeing as Pastor was behind Kimi, they could have tried to have an extra lap advantage on the tyres. Guess I'll never know.

Regarding the Pirellis, I have mixed feelings. However, only good cars (and Ferrari in a downpour) have won. What's perhaps surprising is that Lotus haven't won yet. I'll be damned if we don't have six different cars winning races this year, for the first time since... since... 1982?

Not quite, 1983 had 6 different winners, and 1982 had 7. I'm not going to check it, but 1982 is possibly the season with most winners (manufacturers and drivers) ever.
2008 Would like a word with you... true it is only 5 manufacturers but...

Kimi, Lewis, Felipe, Fernando, Heikki, Robert and Sebastian all scored victories that year.

Ral
Ral

Chuckjr wrote:His car was just really dialed--like Vettle last race, and Nico before. Same could happen to anyone in Monaco. I don't think anyone can predict who it's gonna be. Complete crap shoot. Anybody's game.
I think the fact that both Hamilton and Vettel's cars were dialed in well enough that they worked for both qualifying and the race, shows that there is a way to make the tyres work with the car in a wider environmental window than most people have managed so far this season. Further proof of that is Lotus' apparent wider window of operation with the tyres compared to most of the other teams. Teams just haven't quite found out how.

Yes, it's taking them a bit longer than last year even. But last year started the same with most praising the unpredictability and some lamenting the lottery and finished with most people saying Pirelli must have given in to pressure from complaints and gone too conservative with their compound choices or even secretly changed the compounds. Because as the teams inevitably figured out how to set up their cars to best use the tyres, so they all converged again on the same strategies and racing went back to processional (not helped by RBR's domination).

Did you guys complain about the "mechanical lottery" when stuff used to break all the time?
Last edited by Ral on 14 May 2012, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.

FW17

raymondu999 wrote:I don't like it to be too open. I didn't even like the 2010 title fight. Title fights and GP victories should be something special - a revered event for a very exclusive club. It's like credit cards. Most have gold cards, and fewer have platinum cards (GP victories). Fewer still have the Amex black cards (world titles). If everyone has a platinum card, what the hell's a platinum card? I mean, in my view - it's all relative, and we like seeing how there are a group of people (the Alonsos, Hamiltons, Vettels etc) can rise up above the rest of the field and produce godly performances.

If anyone and everyone finds it easy to win - which, after Perez and Alonso in Malaysia, Rosberg in China and Maldonado here, I don't feel anything special about it - it''s good to have underdog victories, but not every other race weekend IMO.

I mean - Maldonado saying he could realistically mount a title charge now? I'll say no more.
cheapracer wrote:

Have to agree with cheapracer here. I like seeing standout performances. If everyone in the field has one, then... none of it stands out, relatively speaking. I like the races where, for example, you had Alonso and Vettel in Singapore 2010 pulling 1.1s a lap consistently for 61 laps from the rest of the field. The Hamilton 2008 Silverstone where everyone was getting raped head to toe in the rain. If everyone has one - then it's like my explanation above.

IMO it especially doesn't work in entertainment based on sports or some sort of competition because everyone is rooting for someone, and with such uncertainty in the formbook, it's frustrating to see the one you're rooting for not being competitive. Not all people watch just to see exciting racing - some watch to see their rooted-for driver excel.
So you are saying that only 2 teams are to win GPs in a season, while the rest even if capable of winning races shouldn't be?

I didn't see any point in the rest of your post.