2012 Canadian GP - Gilles Villeneuve

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
nacho

Re: Canadian GP 2012 - Gilles Villeneuve

myurr wrote:
Gerhard Berger wrote:
nacho wrote:Red Bull geared for pole and escape from lap 1. Vettel hits the limiter really early.
short gearing means he is geared for the race and not for qualifying.
It means he's geared optimally for running at his own pace, both over a single lap and in the race. The downside is that he's not geared to overtake, which could hold him up in the race if he gets stuck behind another car or in traffic around the pit stops.
Exactly what I meant.

Morteza

myurr wrote:
Gerhard Berger wrote:
nacho wrote:Red Bull geared for pole and escape from lap 1. Vettel hits the limiter really early.
short gearing means he is geared for the race and not for qualifying.
It means he's geared optimally for running at his own pace, both over a single lap and in the race. The downside is that he's not geared to overtake, which could hold him up in the race if he gets stuck behind another car or in traffic around the pit stops.
Didn't Red Bull geared him the same for Monza last year?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

kenny5

dont think so.... "geared for pole" would suggest a higher gear to take advantage of DRS.
a lower gearing will be more suited to the race than qualifying -- eg monza last year
(where RB had the slowest car, but were on pole and won the race!!)

PlatinumZealot

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Jesus Christ.. RedBull is fast in Cananada of all places... AGAIN.. If it stays like this the season will not look too pretty... but here's hoping that we are only seeing the Pirelli factor.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 10 Jun 2012, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: brought from RB8 thread
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

myurr

kenny5 wrote:
dont think so.... "geared for pole" would suggest a higher gear to take advantage of DRS.
a lower gearing will be more suited to the race than qualifying -- eg monza last year
Shorter gearing also means faster acceleration up to that top speed. It's a balance, but something that Red Bull has done many times over the last year and a half. For them they don't seem to be able to shed the drag, so the faster acceleration gives a bigger advantage than being a few kmph faster.

beelsebob

kenny5 wrote:
Except that's not how red bull gear for pole.... Instead, they gear for maximum acceleration out of the corner, and hitting the rev limiter, which turns out to usually be faster than slower acceleration to a higher top speed.

Hail22

Hopefully we are not seeing the page turning to a dominated season...no thank you won't take a bar of that again.

Also anyone notice Alonso' time in his first lap? 1:13:892

Looks to me we may have a Championship similar to 2010?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Miguel

Re: 2012 Canadian GP - Gilles Villeneuve

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Miguel wrote:There'll be a Lotus on Pole
Fancy a wager?
I'll own up. Still haven't watched the BBC highlights, but googling for the highlights schedule I found the result. I thereby acknowledge that my prediction of having a Lotus on pole was not particularly accurate. Hell, they weren't even close! Even if everyone else gets a 5-place penatly, Vettel would start in front.

Before adding a Niels Bohr quote to my sig, let me add that I hope the Mayan 2012 prediction is as accurate as mine.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

scarlet

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

I'm starting to wonder if one factor in the McLaren's great speed in quali compared to the race is a vastly superior DRS than all other cars. Button hinted at something along those lines pre season... At Canada both drivers are around the top 10 in the speed trap, 5-6kph faster than the Mercs (with their dDRS) and the Red Bulls, whilst running visibly higher wing angles than almost all other cars. Of course it could be that the McLaren is geared longer for qualifying but that would make no sense - if you are running more downforce you need to gear the car towards accelleration rather than top speed to retain laptime (see Vettel Monza 2011).

zyphro

Grosjean to ruin Schumachers race going into lap one again?

Crucial_Xtreme

Ted's Canadian GP Notebook

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byNSwgjMG7I[/youtube]

Chuckjr

Gotta say I much more enjoy the racing this year over last. I still don't understand why everyone is so anti tires. This is ten times more exciting than the procession line behind RB last year. I could give a frogs fat ass about the inconsistency in the tires. Get over it. The cream rises to the top as we are seeing regardless...the drivers/teams need to just get on with it.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Red Schneider

Yes, as long as the cream rises to the top it's at least not bad.

Robbobnob

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Its not really a surprise tbh, they have demonstrated great performance in low speed corner traction at Monaco and Bahrain, their wins last year at Monza and Spa have proved that the Renault is capable to deliver the performance when its required.

Also my opinion this weekend is the teams have a very good read on the tires / the characteristics of the circuit move the performance gains towards the car rather than the tires.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 10 Jun 2012, 05:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to n_smikle about red bull speed, from the RB8 thread
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

fiohaa

Chuckjr wrote:Gotta say I much more enjoy the racing this year over last. I still don't understand why everyone is so anti tires. This is ten times more exciting than the procession line behind RB last year. I could give a frogs fat ass about the inconsistency in the tires. Get over it. The cream rises to the top as we are seeing regardless...the drivers/teams need to just get on with it.
you're right the cream does rise to the top, as maldonado proved again today, as he did in monaco, after his glorious win in spain.

villeneuve said it best - the purist won't enjoy it - the casual viewers at home probably will.
but hey, tomorrow should be real exciting because we get to eagerly watch that track temperature figure determine who wins, whilst watching everyone crawling around well below their own pace, to ensure they don't have to pit.
a pace determined by the engineer on his computer.

great racing.