2012 European GP - Valencia

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Nando
Nando

Re: 2012 European GP - Valencia

Qual

Hamilton
Vettel
Alonso

Race

Hamilton
Vettel
Alonso
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

zyphro
zyphro

Quali:

Tyres

Race:

Tyres

SeijaKessen

Odds on Igor trying to take out one of the walls on the circuit, only to find out the wall would rather take him out?

raymondu999

Nah. The walls are quite far! :P

However if you watched last year's race, he added a good bit of comic relief as when the camera was moving about the circuit, he could often suddenly come into camera sight from a runoff area slowly. Brundle said something like Maldonado was doing a tour of the entire perimeter. And what made it so funny was that you never saw Maldonado go off into the runoffs or stranded there. All you saw was suddenly him coming from off camera into view slowly, casually! :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SeijaKessen

raymondu999 wrote:Nah. The walls are quite far! :P

However if you watched last year's race, he added a good bit of comic relief as when the camera was moving about the circuit, he could often suddenly come into camera sight from a runoff area slowly. Brundle said something like Maldonado was doing a tour of the entire perimeter. And what made it so funny was that you never saw Maldonado go off into the runoffs or stranded there. All you saw was suddenly him coming from off camera into view slowly, casually! :lol:
:lol:

I would say Maldonado has to be a high favorite for causing some sort of accident...we haven't had any major shunts this season, I think Valencia is a track that lends itself well to it and with his style, I'm still waiting for more from him.

Looking at the layout...I just wonder how much better this circuit could be if they took out turns 2, 13, and 18.

SeijaKessen

Probably should add, if instead of 2, the track went right to turn 4.

12 went right to 14, and 17 went right to 19. Straighten everything out.

QLDriver
QLDriver

It would get awfully confusing on the commentary though. "And Hamilton chases Alonso out of turn 1 down the straight to turn 4!"

Hail22

Top 3 Qualifying:

Button
Alonso
Webber

Race top 5:

Alonso
Webber
Raikkonen
Button
Hamilton
Last edited by Hail22 on 12 Jun 2012, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

raymondu999

That would be a hell of a comeback for Button to nab pole.

Personally here's what I think will happen.

Quali:
1. Vettel
2. Hamilton
3. Alonso

Race:
1. Vettel
2-3 - Hamilton/Alonso

I can't make my mind up on who will be stronger in the race - Alonso or Hamilton. However while my head says that's what's going to happen, my head says it's not. Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton have never shared a podium before, and something always happens when they're on course for a podium together. Shame, really considering they're the 3 drivers I think are most talented among the current grid. If they did finally get to share a podium amongst the 3 - that is a race I will cherish forever, regardless of what order they come in.

So as a backup, in case something comes up to stop that podium from cropping up -

Vettel
Alonso
Webber
(identical to the 2011 podium)
godlameroso wrote:the cornering speeds are not too high, except for the final sector, so degradation will be only slightly worse than in Canada.
I disagree. The track surface in Canada is very smooth, and in Valencia it's a higher grip, more abrasive surface that will cause higher levels of deg than the Canadian surface.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

godlameroso

I think we've seen this year and the previous that the degradation comes more from high lateral loading than from rolling resistance.
Saishū kōnā

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

This is not a Schumi curcuit. Maybe his bad luck negates this.

Schumi for pole and win.

SiLo

Judging by the way Hamilton managed his tyres in the last couple of races I would put him infront of Vettel in the race. I get the feeling it may be a very similar story to canada actually, with those three very close throughout the entire weekend. Could we be on for another cracker? I hope so!
Felipe Baby!

zyphro
zyphro

MrBlacky wrote:This is not a Schumi curcuit. Maybe his bad luck negates this.

Schumi for pole and win.
[-o<

SeijaKessen

QLDriver wrote:It would get awfully confusing on the commentary though. "And Hamilton chases Alonso out of turn 1 down the straight to turn 4!"
I'd like to think you know what I meant.

QLDriver
QLDriver

SeijaKessen wrote:I'd like to think you know what I meant.
:mrgreen:

I know what you mean about preferring the track to be straighter, but I think realistically, with the limited amount of run off, such features are needed to keep the speeds down.