2012 Italian Grand Prix - Monza

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Re: 2012 Italian Grand Prix - Monza

NathanOlder wrote:So to disagree with mr Fry. If Alonso didnt run off the track, he clearly would have won, and lapped everyone up to 6th.

The Ferrari was nowhere near the pace of the Mclaren in the race, damaged or undamaged.
slower but i think "nowhere near" is an exageration.

NathanOlder

Yeah ok, slower is about right :wink:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

radosav
radosav

NathanOlder wrote:Yeah ok, slower is about right :wink:
from lap 31 alonso was on hamilton pace or even faster. after perez overtook alonso he slowed down.http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... E-MbWfvREM

Mika1
Mika1

Not representative. Hamilton was cruising most of the time.
The boss follows me on twitter.

radosav
radosav

Mika1 wrote:Not representative. Hamilton was cruising most of the time.
look at hamilton/alonso first 19 laps where hamilton was in clean air and alonso in traffic. alonso had hamilton's pace every time he had a litle bit of clean air. hamilton wasn't cruising first 19 laps.
here are alonso/button laps too . he wasn't much faster than alonso and he was pushing as much as he could behind hamilton.
http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... E-RdmfvREM

Mika1
Mika1

Incorrect. He was cruising.

"I was cruising up until that point [that Perez was closing]," said Hamilton. "And then I heard he was catching at a second a lap up until about 14s so then I tried to balance that over a certain number of laps.

Bomber_Pilot

Mika1 wrote:Incorrect. He was cruising.

"I was cruising up until that point [that Perez was closing]," said Hamilton. "And then I heard he was catching at a second a lap up until about 14s so then I tried to balance that over a certain number of laps.
Incorrect. And besides, who would be in cruising mode right from the start?
"I was out on my own for most of the race and just tried to manage the gap behind me. I was cruising at the end, but, once I heard that Sergio Perez had got past Fernando Alonso, I had to push a little to keep the cushion over second place."

Mika1
Mika1

Incorrect, because even in cruising mode he was two-three tenths faster than Massa, he said.

radosav
radosav

if alonso could start the race from the pole with mclaren's behind him , they would have lot of trouble to overtake him.

Mika1
Mika1

radosav wrote:if alonso could start the race from the pole with mclaren's behind him , they would have lot of trouble to overtake him.
And vice versa.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Bomber_Pilot wrote:
Mika1 wrote:Incorrect. He was cruising.

Incorrect.
Do you have evidence for that?
And besides, who would be in cruising mode right from the start?
Someone who was a second clear of the person in second place and was therefore controlling the race and able to conserve fuel for any real threads?
"I was out on my own for most of the race and just tried to manage the gap behind me. I was cruising at the end, but, once I heard that Sergio Perez had got past Fernando Alonso, I had to push a little to keep the cushion over second place."
In other words... he only ever had to push to defend against Perez. Alonso matching (note, not exceeding) his pace was not considered a threat, so he carried on cruising.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Mika1 wrote:
radosav wrote:if alonso could start the race from the pole with mclaren's behind him , they would have lot of trouble to overtake him.
And vice versa.
I disagree anyway, the McLarens had 10km an hour higher top speed than Alonso, and would have been in the DRS, so would have in fact had a 30km/h overspeed on alonso.

thechainrule
thechainrule

Does anyone have a link to video/audio of Vettel being told to shut the car down?

radosav
radosav

Mika1 wrote:
And vice versa.
i agree with you
i only wanted to argue this statement ''The Ferrari was nowhere near the pace of the Mclaren in the race'', made by NathanOlder

beelsebob
beelsebob

radosav wrote:
Mika1 wrote:
And vice versa.
i agree with you
i only wanted to argue this statement ''The Ferrari was nowhere near the pace of the Mclaren in the race'', made by NathanOlder
Well okay, what evidence do you have? The only evidence I can see is that Hamilton cruising out front was able to exceed Massa's pace, and match Alonso in clean air trying to catch. That to me, rather supports Nathan Older's statement that Ferrari was "no where near" McLaren's pace – arguably half a second to a second a lap off their pace in the race.