2012 US GP - Circuit of the Americas

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

There is a Mickey Mouse half-Hockenheim-infield lookalike (the one where they keep missing apexes and can dive down to the left hander under braking) where it does test mechanical. But I'm quite sure the Turkey mirror image doesn't test mechanical grip as much as it tests aero! :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

munudeges wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Perhaps the fact that the McLaren was 0.1 seconds faster in S1 at CotA, 0.2 faster in S2, and 0.4 slower in S3. S1 being dominated by high speed, 2 by straight line, and 3 by slow/medium speed.
McLaren were nowhere near in Friday practice or qualifying
Uhh, you realise that 0.1 faster in sector 1 *came from qualifying*, right? That translated to 0.4 faster during the race at times.
and the first two sectors are dominated by straight line performance.
If you think S1 at CotA is straight line dominated, you need to go and reexamine a track map.
Sector 3 is where any corner advantage shows up, and 0.4 seconds is a lot to be down.
Sector 3 is where the *low to medium speed* corner advantage shows up.
Besides, the trend has been pretty clear since Singapore. Japan was a pretty clear illustration.
Japan, where the McLarens were known not to find the right setup... Meanwhile, Spain, Spa and CotA all showed a faster McLaren in the high speed corners.
Making that distinction about where the RB8's strengths are just isn't borne out. The one area where they are clearly lacking and losing out is straight line performance.
No one denied that the main weakness was straight line performance, but that doesn't change that the McLaren is better through high speed turns, and that the RB8's real strength is low to medium speed turns, hence why it dominated monaco and valencia.

raymondu999

beelsebob wrote:Uhh, you realise that 0.1 faster in sector 1 *came from qualifying*, right? That translated to 0.4 faster during the race at times.
"At times" has to be a massive understatement. There were probably less than 5 laps where Lewis wasn't 0.4 faster through S1.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando
Nando

raymondu999 wrote:There is a Mickey Mouse half-Hockenheim-infield lookalike (the one where they keep missing apexes and can dive down to the left hander under braking) where it does test mechanical. But I'm quite sure the Turkey mirror image doesn't test mechanical grip as much as it tests aero! :lol:
True, true although i have to say i was quite disappointed by the new "Turn 8"

It was basically a one-apex corner, i expected 2 or 3 apexes from looking at areal shots.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Mr Alcatraz

Re: 2012 US GP - Circuit of the Americas

"The Boss" passing by my grandstand seat on his victory lap :D

Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Richard
Richard

Great pic,thanks for posting it. Nice to see him driving off road to get close to the crowd.

The "boss" nickname will have to be replaced by "monster" next season!

munudeges
munudeges

Pity about the finger encroaching on the shot, but a nice picture.

Mr Alcatraz

richard_leeds wrote:Great pic,thanks for posting it. Nice to see him driving off road to get close to the crowd.

The "boss" nickname will have to be replaced by "monster" next season!
Thanks Richard i have nearly 1,000 photos to sort through and many videos before I have a proper set. I also have some nice pics from the historic F1 race. Here is one from my ride in the Jordan Judd V10. I might look horrified, but I really wasn't ;)

http://formulagpexperience.com/3seat.php

Intego

Fantastic picture, but shouldn't that be in the Caption Competition thread? :lol:
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Mr Alcatraz

munudeges wrote:Pity about the finger encroaching on the shot, but a nice picture.
I can crop that out, and simultaneously center the image. However I am not a great photographer by any stretch of the imagination. But while we are on the subject (and this has nothing to do with this forum) I have heard a lot of negative input about the venue and all the grandstands somehow taking away from the ambiance of a classic F1 circuit on another forum. My answer is simple; when in the US do as the US does. Every sport in the USA is transfixed on having its patrons as close to the action as possible. No doubt this is the same with CotA. It's the USGP and I think the seating arrangements reflect our insistence on being as close to the action as possible.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Sorry guys. Been slammed ever since about the Wednesday before the race, but here are all of my 2012 USGP photo albums to date. Still working on my Sunday collection:

Wednesday...Fill 'er up, Fernando:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 878&type=3

Thursday & Friday at COTA:

Saturday at COTA:
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

strad

thanks
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Sooo...I finally got around to posting my Sunday USGP photos. My biggest album ever by far. Hope you see something you like! Pictures are in sequence from pre-race prep to the the podium ceremony and post-race BBQ at Cooper's. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 878&type=1

Samples:

Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

Mr Alcatraz

Didier Theys :-"