2012 US GP - Circuit of the Americas

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
turbof1

Re: 2012 US GP - Circuit of the Americas

Shrieker wrote:Medium and hard ? Isn't that... Too conservative ? One stoppers aren't very exciting :roll:
It probably is, but for a completely new track understandable. If the track is still oily and dusty, you are not going to have alot of grip out there anyway.
#AeroFrodo

Vasconia

With lack of grip in a new track and this choice of tyres there wil be huge problems to maintain the car inside the track, this could be interesting.

I am quite excited with this track, its seems to be very tricky but also to give some opportunities to overtake, at least with the two straights.

I dont expect to see rain in Texas, but hey it could happen, anyway if the temperatures are so low the race could be epic.

Gerhard Berger

hairy_scotsman wrote:
CHT wrote:Turn one look extremely tricky. I think there is a very good chance of a majr turn one accident. Think qualifying pole will be very important.
Yeah, I think the aspect of turn 1 which complicates it the most is the way it flattens at the top just before turn-in. The car will "get light" toward the end of the braking zone, so judging braking and turn-in will be extremely critical and extremely difficult. I believe T1 will see many incidents, esp early on in the weekend.
It is kind of similar to turn 1 at the A1 ring, so we might see incidents like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBEwOLvWnQs[/youtube]

hairy_scotsman

raymondu999 wrote:
n smikle wrote:THe surface will be oily I suspect. How will that affect the grip?
Was the last layer laid down that recently? If so, graining could be an issue as traction is still low.
Just off the top of my head, the last layer was applied about 1-1.5 months ago. Not sure how much time is enough, but if you watch the R30 onboard video you can see it's very slippy.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

Jackuar

Teechnical wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Looks, to my eye, similar to Suzuka/Silverstone in df level terms.

And ferrari were good at Silverstone, I may recall?
Silverstone was a long way back. Suzuka is much closer and gives recent data after RBRs late resurgence. If any indication, it should suit RBR more than Ferrari, which I mean, Vettel just edging out. Alonso needs a better than his best driving in the next 2 races.
Finishing second is being the first one of losers....

Nando

Mclaren track i think.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

banibhusan

Jackuar wrote: Alonso needs a better than his best driving in the next 2 races.
Exactly. I am expecting something like this.

Ferrari to Alonso: "Fernando, we have brought many updates and we have found another tenth. You have to push and try to find another 2 tenths by driving the car beyond it's physical capabilities. You are the best out there and you can do it. And please don't say it in front of the media. [-o< "
Alonso: " :shock: All right. I'll do it the way I have been doing for almost 3 years now".

It's OT but just couldn't resist it. :D

turbof1

With the amount of updates ferrari is bringing, they are bound to strike lucky and could find suddenly a few tenths. Anyhow, Alonso has to hope that mclaren outperform red bull. That way they cant run away and leaves vettel vulnerable in the race.
#AeroFrodo

sknguy

A lot of the track maps on the internet don't show the correct T3 & T4 combo, nor the T8 & T9 combo. T3 & T4 are more shallow turns than the track maps portray, and T8 & T9 series were changed with a more abrupt turn 9. This slows the cars a little for T10. T6 is actually a double apex. Also, the right hand kink between T14 & T15 is unnumbered. T18 is more a long sweeper than the sharper apexes like at T16 & T17, I suppose to preserve the speed built up from the T17 exit.

hairy_scotsman

sknguy wrote:A lot of the track maps on the internet don't show the correct T3 & T4 combo, nor the T8 & T9 combo. T3 & T4 are more shallow turns than the track maps portray, and T8 & T9 series were changed with a more abrupt turn 9. This slows the cars a little for T10. T6 is actually a double apex. Also, the right hand kink between T14 & T15 is unnumbered. T18 is more a long sweeper than the sharper apexes like at T16 & T17, I suppose to preserve the speed built up from the T17 exit.
Yep. Good posting. In the very beginning, the approach to Turn 9 was much straighter, steeper, and faster, which would have made Turn 10 even more of a beast. Turn 2 is also not as sharp is it was originally, and the run from there to Turn 3 has been shortened.

Those older layouts are still being used by many, even still being published in recent articles about the circuit or the race.
Last edited by Richard on 05 Nov 2012, 15:55, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from post above
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

raymondu999

Will be interesting to see which corners the drivers take different lines at. For example in F1 2012 I take a completely different line at T6. I come out to the far left before late apexing 6, and a wide entry into 7.

I suspect T13/14 and 16-18 will see differing lines, at least at first.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

godlameroso

sector two is super technical, the breaking for t6 is crucial, the line that you choose through 6-7 sets you up for 8-9, it might be faster to slightly compromise the entry to 7 to maximize the exit on 9.
Saishū kōnā

SamH123

I don't predict Mclaren to be that good barring upgrades
They'd fallen behind Alonso and RB anyway (apart from Abu Dhabi which is a great track for the Ham + Mclaren combo)

Also, Mclaren weren't great at Suzuka and Silverstone. For different reasons but they do seem to have setup troubles on this kind of track

sAx
sAx

Nando wrote:Mclaren track i think.
For the first 15 laps?
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

CHT
CHT

Gerhard Berger wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:
CHT wrote:Turn one look extremely tricky. I think there is a very good chance of a majr turn one accident. Think qualifying pole will be very important.
Yeah, I think the aspect of turn 1 which complicates it the most is the way it flattens at the top just before turn-in. The car will "get light" toward the end of the braking zone, so judging braking and turn-in will be extremely critical and extremely difficult. I believe T1 will see many incidents, esp early on in the weekend.
It is kind of similar to turn 1 at the A1 ring, so we might see incidents like this:

Here is a lap around CofA. I think a 1st corner accident is definitely on the card unless drivers have a mutual understanding to give each other space through turn one.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5gLoxNE7ms[/youtube]