Indeed, on lap 51 he actually did a 314km/h when he was trying to overtake Sutil but I don`t know why this top speed didn`t show up on the FIA records !!!Sonic wrote: First time here. One question : why the W04 was 12km/h slower (top speed) during the race than during quali ? I can't find the solution. Could a front wing clic (even a 3 points) alterate the top speed that much ?
Sorry : somebody told me in the ear-monitor that LH did a 312km/h on lap 51. End of the story. Thanks for your response.
Maybe this speed was registred after the speed trap point detection?
Regarding this matter I`m more puzzled about their top speed race vs. quali top speed.
These are the facts, according to FIA records:
a) Qualifying session speed trap were: http://18.104.22.168/f1-championship/f ... 20Trap.pdf
b) Qualifying session maximum speeds were: http://22.214.171.124/f1-championship/f ... Speeds.pdf
c) Race speed trap were: http://126.96.36.199/f1-championship/f ... 20Trap.pdf
d) Race maximum speeds were: http://188.8.131.52/f1-championship/f ... Speeds.pdf
From these results we could presume some interesting analysis:
1. Lotus has the best traction or the best DF, according to point b) when Grosjean and Raikkonen did a 305,9 and 304,7km/h on the finish line, bearing in mind that turn 16 require traction/DF.
They are followed by Ferrari, RBR and Mercedes.
2. Ferrari are the best in high speed corners, according to b)&d) points, being fastest in Intermediate 1 & 2. They are followed by RBR closed matched by Lotus.
3. I understand the logic of other drivers regarding their speeds in qualy and the race, but I don`t follow Hamilton and Rosbers`s speeds.
Just see the facts (Q speeds was at the same times recorded on Sunday!):
- Hamilton: Q speed finish line: 301,3 and Q speed trap: 311,1km/h Afterwards, Race speed finish line: 294,7 and Race speed trap: 299,1km/h !!!
- Rosberg: Q speed finish line: 301,8 and Q speed trap: 306,6km/h Afterwards, Race speed finish line: 280,3 and Race speed trap: 295,0km/h !!!
Then compare to other drivers:
- Alonso: Q speed finish line: 303,1 and Q speed trap: 308,3km/h Afterwards, Race speed finish line: 304,3 and Race speed trap: 308,7km/h
- Vettel: Q speed finish line: 302,5 and Q speed trap: 307,6km/h Afterwards, Race speed finish line: 302,2 and Race speed trap: 305,6km/h
And the trend is the same but Mercedes drivers ...
One can say about those speeds that most of the teams opted for a short 7th gear, except maybe Hamilton, Massa, Alonso and Sutil, but Hamy 10km/h in a couple of hundred meters is insane, even with DRS on !!!
Until lap 51, when LH did an unrecorded 314km/h, maybe the car was to heavy and they were saving fuel bearing in mind they have 10% more fuel due to Coanda exhaust system?
Another reason is they have had worn tyres and didn`t manage to take a good corner exit in order to have a good top speed. Then how about their huge delta speed between DRS active and non active?