2013 Australian GP - Albert Park

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Re: 2013 Australian GP - Albert Park

rssh wrote:
gray41 wrote:What car characteristics are good around Melbourne?
Its a Front tyre limiting track therefore a strong front end is required for aggressive turn ins which gives the best lap times but most importantly the balance of the car should be excellent so that even tyre wear occurs on all corners . .
Front limited does NOT necessarily mean you need an aggressive turn in. It just means you need a strong front for carrying lateral. In fact, front limiting corners are generally corners that force you into long arcs - ones where you have to have smooth entries thanks to the long circular line.

Melbourne is very specific in that it has many similar corners. Turn 1/2, 6/7, 9/10 are carbon copies of one another, and the last two corners are the same as 3/4. If you can nail these corners you have the lap pretty much sorted ish.
Ferraripilot wrote:I beleive turns 3, 4 and pretty much all of sector 3 is Mercedes country as it is mechanically a heavy area
What exactly is mechanical about:
A) the circuit's two fastest corners,
B) braking into a 90-degree corner
C) a tight, fast right hander
D) a pretty much flat out right hander (onto the pit straight)

The only ones even remotely mechanical are turns 14 (the braking zone after the fast chicane) and 16 (penultimate corner - the leftie hairpin)

I'm not saying Merc will be weak there - I just don't think it is mechanical (as you say it is)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

dren

Q:

1. Rosberg
2. Alonso
3. Hamilton
4. Grosjean
5. Massa
5. Kimi
6. Button
7. Maldonado
8. Hulkenberg
9. Vettel
10. Webber

R:

1. Alonso (he will pass Rosberg at the start and lead from there to the finish)
2. Rosberg
3. Hamilton
4. Kimi
5. Button
6. Vettel
7. Hulkenberg
8. Guiterrez
9. Maldonado
10. Massa (Massa and Webber will have several clashes)

If it rains, Button will win.
Honda!

Nando

Unc1e_M0nty wrote:
Nando wrote:
raymondu999 wrote: Wow. Interesting. Don't think I've seen a prediction for a while that doesn't feature teammates at all. In the name of curiosity, Nando - are they by any chance, your top 5 drivers too? ie the drivers you consider the "5 best" of the grid.
Basically i think the grid will be so tight that the guys who shine are the "top of the line" drivers.
Assuming top 5 is separated by something like 3 tenths.
I think beasue tryes will be the deciding factor that we will see a rough team order, some of the fancied teams will have problems with tyre wear and are in for a rude awakening.

Mclaren are quoted as saying they will be happry with a points finish, I bet there's a few top teams who think the same.
Keep in mind my prediction (which started all of this) is purely Qualifying.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Shrieker

Wow, the predictions are all over the place. I'd say Vettel pole+ win and Webber on the podium, accompanied by either Alonso or Raikkonen.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Redragon

Here it goes mine.
Having in consideration last years results on Australia and this year pre-season.

Q.

1. Vettel
2. Webber
3. Raikonnen
4. Alonso
5. Hamilton
6. Button
7. Massa
8. Grosjean
9. Rosberg
10. Checo

Race.

1. Vettel
2. Alonso
3. Button
4. Raikonen
5. Webber
6. Hamilton
7. Massa
8. Checo
9. Diresta
10. Rosberg

Hail22

Based on some mulling over I've decided to make a bold prediction here:

Quali top 5:

1. Hamilton
2. Alonso
3. Rosberg
4. Raikkonen
5. Webber

Race standings:

1. Hamilton
2. Alonso
3. Raikkonen
4. Vettel
5. Massa
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Ferraripilot

raymondu999 wrote:
rssh wrote:
gray41 wrote:What car characteristics are good around Melbourne?
Its a Front tyre limiting track therefore a strong front end is required for aggressive turn ins which gives the best lap times but most importantly the balance of the car should be excellent so that even tyre wear occurs on all corners . .
Front limited does NOT necessarily mean you need an aggressive turn in. It just means you need a strong front for carrying lateral. In fact, front limiting corners are generally corners that force you into long arcs - ones where you have to have smooth entries thanks to the long circular line.

Melbourne is very specific in that it has many similar corners. Turn 1/2, 6/7, 9/10 are carbon copies of one another, and the last two corners are the same as 3/4. If you can nail these corners you have the lap pretty much sorted ish.
Ferraripilot wrote:I beleive turns 3, 4 and pretty much all of sector 3 is Mercedes country as it is mechanically a heavy area
What exactly is mechanical about:
A) the circuit's two fastest corners,
B) braking into a 90-degree corner
C) a tight, fast right hander
D) a pretty much flat out right hander (onto the pit straight)

The only ones even remotely mechanical are turns 14 (the braking zone after the fast chicane) and 16 (penultimate corner - the leftie hairpin)

I'm not saying Merc will be weak there - I just don't think it is mechanical (as you say it is)

The turn 14, 15, 16 sequence is where the serious time is for this circuit, and that's mostly mechanical.

raymondu999

Ferraripilot wrote:The turn 14, 15, 16 sequence is where the serious time is for this circuit, and that's mostly mechanical.
14, 16 - I agree. The rest - I don't.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Ferraripilot

raymondu999 wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:The turn 14, 15, 16 sequence is where the serious time is for this circuit, and that's mostly mechanical.

That's unfortunately the only area of interest for this circuit for me. Sad but true haha

Websta

First time doing one of these on this forum I think, almost completely mindless predictions of course:

Q:

1 - Hamilton
2 - Grosj
3 - Rosberg
4 - Hulk
5 - Webber

Race:

1 - Rosberg
2 - Raikkonen
3 - Alonso
4 - Webber
5 - Vettel
6 - Massa
7 - Perez
8 - Jenson
9 - Hulk
10 - Maldonado

DNF: Hamilton, Grosjean (separate incidents :o )

raymondu999

Ferraripilot wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:

That's unfortunately the only area of interest for this circuit for me. Sad but true haha
My point was, the last corner, and 3rd to last corner, are hardly mechanical. There's only 2 corners in sector 3 that I'd call mechanical
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

lukeaar

Pole: HAM
Fastest Lap: HAM
Positions gained: ALO (I think he'll have issues in qualifying)

Race:
1. HAM
2. VET
3. ALO
4. RAI
5. WEB
6. MAS
7. HUL
8. BUT
9. MAL
10. ROS

PER will either crash out or finish 2/3 places outside of the points because of car damage/spin/etc. (nothing at all against his ability, I just think he will have first-race-with-massive-team nerves)

I left out GRO because there's always someone from one of the top teams that DNFs, and statistically it's more likely to be him than anyone else

GUT will struggle first race, as will BOT. SUT will be rusty, but will be outpacing DIR by the end of the race. TR, Marussia, and Caterham will round out the back as last years form would suggest.

diemaster

Q:
1-Vettel
2-Raikkonen
3-Grosjean
4-Button
5-Webber
6-Alonso
7-Hamilton
8-Massa
9-Rosberg
10-Perez

R:
1-Raikkonen
2-Vettel
3-Grosjean
4-Alonso
5-Webber
6-Button
7-Massa
8-Hamilton
9-Hulkenberg
10-Rosberg

dren

Here's something a little different. Which teammate will finish ahead of the other? Mine assume everyone has an incident free race.

Massa and Webber could surprise. I think Rosberg will get the better of Hamilton.

Qualifying:
Mercedes: Rosberg
Ferrari: Alonso
Red Bull: Vettel
Lotus: Grosjean
Mclaren: Button
Williams: Maldonado
FI: Sutil
Sauber: Hulk

Race:
Mercedes: Rosberg
Ferrari: Alonso
Red Bull: Vettel
Lotus: Kimi
Mclaren: Button
Williams: Maldonado
FI: Sutil
Sauber: Hulk
Honda!

PlatinumZealot

Hobbs04 wrote:Aussie grit Webber for the win. Come on Red Bull let him win his home race. Vettel can have the rest.
Webber has failed in three very favourable chances to win his home race.. I have given up on that long ago.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏