2013 Chinese GP - Shanghai

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Rikhart

Re: 2013 Chinese GP - Shanghai

beelsebob wrote: Simple – because Webber was 100% at fault – he plain and simple drove into the side of Vergne. Perez meanwhile probably never even knew Raikonnen was there, he attacked from so far back, and went to a side where he stood no chance of getting past at all.

The rule comes into effect when you're defending, Perez wasn't defending – he was simply driving his normal racing line.
You are wrong, he pulled off at least an overtake there, so he had plenty of chance had perez not squeezed him off track, completely oblivious. Perez should have gotten a penalty for that imo.

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

beelsebob

Rikhart wrote:
beelsebob wrote: Simple – because Webber was 100% at fault – he plain and simple drove into the side of Vergne. Perez meanwhile probably never even knew Raikonnen was there, he attacked from so far back, and went to a side where he stood no chance of getting past at all.

The rule comes into effect when you're defending, Perez wasn't defending – he was simply driving his normal racing line.
You are wrong, he pulled off at least an overtake there, so he had plenty of chance had perez not squeezed him off track, completely oblivious. Perez should have gotten a penalty for that imo.
When did he pass someone around the outside of turn 6 at china?

Just_a_fan

@Stefan_ : Some of the radio comms was quite interesting. Lots of info being given to the drivers and some good stuff back from the drivers. Button's love-in at the end with his engineer was quite sweet :wink:

What was interesting was the way the drivers were asked to push and save as the race ebbs and flows. Even the teams were struggling to figure out how it was going to finish.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Mestrades

Mestrades wrote:This is the graphic that I've done with the best stint of each driver. I've eliminated the anomalies and I've done the regression line. A very simple approximation about the tyre degradation.

I think that in this terms, Lotus and Mercedes are very similar. The Hamilton's times are faster than Kimmi's one due to the different fuel load. Despite of to have more fuel, the Lotus car has the same regression of degradation than Mercedes, so with less fuel, the tyre degradation would have been even better.

My conclusion is that Renault's degradation is a little bit better, but I think that Mercedes isn't so far how the people says.

Y-Axe (Time per lap less 60 seconds)
X-Axe (Number of laps)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/841/stints.jpg/
I think that prognosis was fulfilled. Both cars has gone a very similar pace with Lotus a little bit better.

Blackout

http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... WsnJLXwl0A

Rai was catching Ham rapidly at the end of their 2nd stint. Even after his crash with Perez at lap16 when he damaged his FW and nose, he remained fatser than Ham and the latter had no traffic at that moment. The E21 has better tire degradation and is faster but the merc clearly heats its tire faster (look at Ham's first lap of every stint compared to Rai)
Ham couldnt catch Rai despite the damaged E21 in his last stint.

Maelstrom

I would agree that Raikonnen was faster and had slightly better tyre degradation. Hamilton admitted that Alonso and Raikonnen were faster. But while Ferrari was much faster, the gap between Lotus and Merc was not that vast. I think they can catch up.

godlameroso

You also have to take into consideration that this is one particular circuit with a particular set of demands under particular ambient conditions. Different tracks ask different things from cars and drivers, adding the variable of atmospheric conditions can swing the edge in performance from car to car, especially with competition being so close.
Saishū kōnā

Maelstrom

Hmm... yes... specially since this was a track that suited Mercedes. Bahrain will suit the Bulls and Lotus a bit more.

khaliweed

Maelstrom wrote:Hmm... yes... specially since this was a track that suited Mercedes. Bahrain will suit the Bulls and Lotus a bit more.
This track suited the W03.

Neno

khaliweed wrote:
Maelstrom wrote:Hmm... yes... specially since this was a track that suited Mercedes. Bahrain will suit the Bulls and Lotus a bit more.
This track suited the W03.
Melbourne 2012 - suited Lotus, 1 row in qualy ( race will not speak), but they had good result on end
Melbourne 2013 - Lotus win

Malaysia 2012 - suited Lotus, penalty for gearbox and again problems, they had on end good result but not podium
Malaysia 2013 - same, with penaly 3 places, they had on end good result but not podium

China 2012 - suited Lotus less, but they had 8 laps before ending race 2nd place in pocket, ending result was solid
China 2013 - suited Lotus more, they had 2nd place

From what i see, Lotus improved their results or are at least same from last year, i expect fully domination on tracks
where last year had podiums or very good results. For Mercedes, dont make me laugh i expect them to challenge podium guys nothing more, at least 3 more teams are slightly better then them (Bulls, Lotus, Ferrari). They sure
can win against one of their cars like in China, but expect some win like Ferrari in China or Lotus in Australia is
SF (for now)!

Phil

As far as I am understanding it, with these tyres, set-up is crucial. Given the narrow temperature window of the tyres, teams need to take a gamble on what the conditions will be on race day (and find the best compromise between qualifying and the race). The Merc looked good in practice on the long runs - it did less (but still well) on race day IMO.

I think they did the right thing when they pitted Hamilton after Kimi - despite having new prime tyres, he still struggled towards the end. If he had pitted 2 laps earlier, I fear Kimi would have had him anyway and he would have been at a bigger disadvantage to Vettel. I think they saved the podium by doing this.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Maelstrom

Actually.. the way I understand it, the temperature window to turn on the tyres is improved from last year. But the tyres also fall apart quicker. It's not because they aren't turned on.

Mika1

It's Hamilton's second podium in 3 races for Mercedes, not bad imo.
The boss follows me on twitter.

Maelstrom

It's certainly better than anybody could have hoped for.