Japanese GP 2005

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Scuderia_Russ

Japanese GP 2005

What a race! Alonso was absolutely fearless! I can't help feeling that Fisi has done what Trulli did at France last year and sealed his fate as far as Flavio is concerned for next year... guess we'll have to wait and see. Well done Kimi, and a solid drives from Webber and Coulthard too. Button was a big let down imo. Good to see that Montoya and Sato didn't disappoint!
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

manchild

This is what I posted previously in "Fernando, Fernando" topic
manchild wrote:Now I’m even more certain that Fisichella should have got kick in the butt after first 5-6 races of the season. This is truly shameful and he won’t be driving in Renault next season. :x

The only comforting thing is that Kimi will have to use this same engine in China…

manchild

Why on earth FIA punished Alonso :?: :!: He did let Klien in front again after that late braking caused him to stray over the grass… I’ve never read such thing in sporting regulations

Busta**s!

jaslfc

i think they said i may be a communication error between fia and renault but martin said it could be that alonso didnt let him get back the position properly and he just let him get in front before overtaking again.

manchild

This is outrageous! That rule considers positions gained not time, what should Alonso had done according to FIA, wait for 10 laps to overtake him again?!!

BTW, Alonso had already passed Klien by more than ½ of cars length (they were at least lined up if not more) before Klien closed the passage and caused Alonso to stray out on grass…

RH1300S

Great race, I won't let the FIA thing ruin a good memory for me.

Alonso; brilliant - that move on MS took balls - fantastic

Kimi - a great drive, just kept his head together and nailed another win.

Monty, really should have been a bit more patient - he had a whole race in front of him and a very fast car, should have won it.

Fisi - I wouldn't want to be in his shoes right now; no question Fernando would have kept Kimi behind. All he had to do was keep it clean for one more lap :roll:

Hats off to DC BTW :D

Spencifer_Murphy

A fantasic race, really great to watch, didn't want it to end (probably becuase not only was it a good race but my gf had to go back to university after the race re-run! :oops: )

I still cant believe the FIA told Fernando to give the place back to Klien even though he already did! and then after he does so they tell him they changed their mind. No wonder people are concerned over the future of F1 when the Governing body haven't got their heads screwed on properly.

Either way...a great race.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Scuderia_Russ

Could have been some halfwits first day on the job for all you know. I'm sure it could have happened to anyone.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Steven
Owner

Well in my point of view Fisico really made an error. It appeared impossible during the whole race that overtaking in the last chicane is close to impossible, and still he takes the inside only to come through the chicane slower and see himself passed by Raikkonen.
However a great drive from the Finn, it should not have happened, Fisi did not have anything to lose there, he could even risk both men crashing it would have been a lot better for Renault.

And then for the Klien - Alonso thing... I bet if MS had done that he was allowed to drive away without having to let Klien pass by again. I honoustly thought there was a problem with switching gears or something with the Renault, I still don't understand why he had to back off once more :?

I am under the impression that it has cost Alonso a second place and I am sure he would have been able to fend off a challenging Raikkonen. :idea:

joseff

You have a point. Without that 7-second penalty, the finishing order would've been Fisi - Alonso - Raikkonen.

FIA, you've just cost Fisico his job!

joseff

You have a point. Without that 7-second penalty, the finishing order would've been Fisi - Alonso - Raikkonen.

FIA, you've just cost Fisico his job!

PS: Sorry double-posted

tetopelis

sigh...i can see that all of you'll are renualt fans here...well please stuff it up and accept it...either of how curcuimstanceses and the way the race panned out..a guy who started from 17th on the grid won the race with a very level headed and fantastic driving..holding back when he needed to and attacking when he needed to. it just gave him all the options in the world to pan the race out as he wanted to. in alonso's case..its a maximum attack drive..but when you start so back..maximum attack with out thinking strategy isin't gonna help..fisi..well..sorry to say, he may be good but he dosen't have the x-factor that kimi, alonso and montoya seem to have.
one thing that is really sad for me is how arrogent alonso has goten after winning the championship. early in the weekend he says kimi was lucky his failures happened during practices and not the race itself..what was the relevance of that comment?..and as i recall alonso is the lucky bugger here where he inherited 3 of his 6 wins due to kimi's bad luck(races which kimi was set to win but retired in the race cos of reliability problems)..and also inherited few good place finishes due to kimi's engine letting go during the practice and him having to take the penalty. the amazing thing here to note is..out of the 4 penalties kimi has taken due to engine failure..he finished those races 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th...impressive
the next thing alonso went on to say is." for the first time i felt i had a faster car then mclaren"...i think everyone who saw the race and how it panned out with agree with me..renualt has still not caught with mclaren by any sense of a margin. the way mclaren can fill thier car to the brime and still lap so competetively, stay out longer and post amazing times in the race is still testement to thier engineering. and as i recall kimi's fastest lap of suzuka was being posted as he entered the pits...hmmm..wonder how fast that would have been..renualt has to short fuel thier car just to try to keep in toes with the pace the mclaren cars are showing...so wats this basis of new found arrogance of alonso..sigh
wat amazes me is how kimi managed to still drive the car so fast while rev limiting the car due to the sudden lack of rev in 7th gear..and win the race..absolutly amazing!
alonso did a fantastic job...but i'm sorry to say be a realistic point of view..kimi outclassed him..again!
" If you want to win, get a Finn" - Hakkinen

tetopelis

sigh...i can see that all of you'll are renualt fans here...well please stuff it up and accept it...either of how curcuimstanceses and the way the race panned out..a guy who started from 17th on the grid won the race with a very level headed and fantastic driving..holding back when he needed to and attacking when he needed to. it just gave him all the options in the world to pan the race out as he wanted to. in alonso's case..its a maximum attack drive..but when you start so back..maximum attack with out thinking strategy isin't gonna help..fisi..well..sorry to say, he may be good but he dosen't have the x-factor that kimi, alonso and montoya seem to have.
one thing that is really sad for me is how arrogent alonso has goten after winning the championship. early in the weekend he says kimi was lucky his failures happened during practices and not the race itself..what was the relevance of that comment?..and as i recall alonso is the lucky bugger here where he inherited 3 of his 6 wins due to kimi's bad luck(races which kimi was set to win but retired in the race cos of reliability problems)..and also inherited few good place finishes due to kimi's engine letting go during the practice and him having to take the penalty. the amazing thing here to note is..out of the 4 penalties kimi has taken due to engine failure..he finished those races 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th...impressive
the next thing alonso went on to say is." for the first time i felt i had a faster car then mclaren"...i think everyone who saw the race and how it panned out with agree with me..renualt has still not caught with mclaren by any sense of a margin. the way mclaren can fill thier car to the brime and still lap so competetively, stay out longer and post amazing times in the race is still testement to thier engineering. and as i recall kimi's fastest lap of suzuka was being posted as he entered the pits...hmmm..wonder how fast that would have been..renualt has to short fuel thier car just to try to keep in toes with the pace the mclaren cars are showing...so wats this basis of new found arrogance of alonso..sigh
wat amazes me is how kimi managed to still drive the car so fast while rev limiting the car due to the sudden lack of rev in 7th gear..and win the race..absolutly amazing!
alonso did a fantastic job...but i'm sorry to say be a realistic point of view..kimi outclassed him..again!

tetopelis

manchild

No one here except you wasn’t telling anyone to stuff anything up, so please…!

Hiring Fisi for 2006 was a bad thing to do, not sacking him after several successive DNF in the beginning of the season was even worse. I agree that he is mediocrity compared to 3 drivers you mentioned.

Who had more luck was already discussed and if you check the statistics impartially you’ll see that 4 of 7 wins by Kimi were those when Alonso had problems or DNF – Monaco (tyres), Canada(DNF), Hungaroring(crash) and now Japan(penalty).

So, Kimi took more advantage from Alonso’s problems and had more luck by now.

Alonso was fastest this weekend and with better strategy. If it wasn’t for that shameful FIA penalty (shameful for FIA) Rainkonnen’s best result would be 3rd place.

Kimi outclassed Alonso, again?! Please be realistic… Whole season Kimi drives like the meaning of the championship is to set fastest lap or win single race no matter what overall result will be at the end of the season. Alonso showed impressive maturity and drover constantly, very Alain Prostish. Moves Kimi made in Japan are left in heavy shade of Alonso’s fearless overtaking of MS, Webber and overall performance like 16th to 8th in opening lap (not to mention that Kimi was using fresh engine while Alonso preserved the one from Brazil).

I’m not blaming Kimi for what happened to Alonso in Japan but without FIA penalty Kimi would finished 3rd. That is so obvious that I don’t intend to discuss it any further.

Kimi set fastest lap without 7th gear (during last 7-8 laps)?! Where did you get that?! That is theoretically impossible! Perhaps he had problems with his 7th gear after he overtook Fisichella in the last lap but not before because he wouldn’t be able to catch anyone at the end of that start line strait.