2013 Italian GP - Monza

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Re: Monza Italy 2013 GP

SectorOne wrote:Even Red Bull themselves consider Monza and similar tracks to be their weaker points. It´s nothing new.
Same with SPA and Canada.
"I don't think we expected to be dominant here, and it surprised all of us actually - spa vettel
In "conventional knowledge" it's "nothing new" indeed - but what if they don't realise that, perhaps, their car is in fact stronger on such tracks?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SectorOne

Stronger then they thought? I think they found out when they got to the track. hence the surprise moment.
Which possibly gives them some optimism that they can break the mold at Monza as they did in 2011.

Tough to say, i think right now they consider Monza to be a weaker track and a track like Singapore to be one of their strongest.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

dren

I don't expect much different at Monza from what we just saw at Spa. The FI cars and maybe the Saubers will be a bit closer to the front. I expect an Alonso/Vettel fight for Pole with both fighting for victory. Third will be Hamilton, who will be in the fight with the FI cars.

It will be interesting to see how Mercedes tackles Monza. They went for top speed in the past, but at Spa they were fast in sector 2, so a complete 180 from their usual thinking.
Honda!

Phil

dren wrote:It will be interesting to see how Mercedes tackles Monza. They went for top speed in the past, but at Spa they were fast in sector 2, so a complete 180 from their usual thinking.
Doesn't the whole "fast in sector 2" show that they were running more downforce, which would have benefited them if it had rained? I am under the impression that if the weather had been absoltely guaranteed to be dry and sunny, that they would have opted for a more low-DF set-up which would have ment less of an advantage in sector 2, but a bit less of an advantage in sector 1 and 3.

If Monza is dry and sunny - I would expect them to be more on top of their set-up and in-line with the others (no gamble).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

iotar__

Monza is very different from Spa. I think 2011 was a special case, they were dominant anyway and then as a point of honour and another planned conquest invested a lot of money into Monza package. R. Brawn mentioned million(s).

I hope this season it won't be possible and Spa was partially down to mixed weather and lack of competition. Alonso needs to win now, count on some unreliability and strong Mercedes mixing it up later.

sennafan24
sennafan24

iotar__ wrote:Alonso needs to win now, count on some unreliability and strong Mercedes mixing it up later.
Yes, if Alonso does not finish ahead of Vettel this weekend, any hope of preventing 4 in a row is gone. The Ferrari is just not good enough in qualifying to enable Alonso to consistently catch and beat Vettel.

I am more optimistic about Alonso in Monza than I was at SPA, however unless Mechanical error strikes I cannot see Vettel finishing below say 5th, the boy is too consistent to finish anywhere lower than that these days, barring something critical.

GitanesBlondes

The low-drag wing Red Bull was sporting at Spa probably was a test run for Monza. Given how well the RB9 performed at a track that wasn't suited to their strengths, I feel they will be strong at Monza. Right now I would give the edge to Mercedes, but I like Vettel's chances to be on the front row of the grid.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

beelsebob
beelsebob

Gah… Why do people insist on doing this… If they performed well, the track was suited to their strengths.

Look, the RB6 was quick at high downforce tracks, and "slow" at low downforce ones. The RB9 has been beaten at Hungary, and easily won at Spa. The RB9's strengths are not the RB6's. The RB9's strengths are in fact high speed, low downforce circuits.

SectorOne

I disagree completely. The strongest tracks are and always will be highest downforce tracks on the calendar. That is where the RB9 comes into it´s own.

Some years the bloodline is stronger at low DF tracks but it´s not a rule like HighDF circuits.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

raymondu999

SectorOne wrote:I disagree completely. The strongest tracks are and always will be highest downforce tracks on the calendar. That is where the RB9 comes into it´s own.

Some years the bloodline is stronger at low DF tracks but it´s not a rule like HighDF circuits.
The difference is the RB5 and RB6 had their home at fast, high df circuits - but since the RB7, that's changed... they're more at home with slow, high df circuits.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Well i'm hopeful for a Ferrari win here, and i think it is probably our last chance to a get a victory this season. In fact i think we will be strong in qualifying too (as we were last year and in 2010). Alonso is pretty strong here too, so perhaps a pole position.

Phillyred
Phillyred

I see Massa out-qualifying Alonso. Qualy: 1) Hamilton 2) Rosberg 3) Vettel 4)Massa 5) Webber 6) Alonso 7)di Resta 8.) Kimi 9) Grojean 10) Ricciardo

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I just hope its a good race as ill be there in 9 days! Seating at the first Variante, and right next to the historic banking.

This will be my first GP. I cannot wait! I am taking lots of memory cards for my camera for lots of pics. And if one breaks down next to me, ill have lots of great pics of sensitive parts!

SamH123
SamH123

Phillyred wrote:I see Massa out-qualifying Alonso. Qualy: 1) Hamilton 2) Rosberg 3) Vettel 4)Massa 5) Webber 6) Alonso 7)di Resta 8.) Kimi 9) Grojean 10) Ricciardo
I'm almost certain Ferrari will qualify better than that
Look at last year, never contended in a dry quali all year, then at Monza, Alonso had a great shot of pole

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Phillyred wrote:I see Massa out-qualifying Alonso.
I don't see it. Alonso is great around Monza. It is probably the last track where Massa would be able to outqualify him.