2013 Italian GP - Monza

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Phillyred
Phillyred

Re: Monza Italy 2013 GP

"Pressure" is on Massa to deliver- he sometimes surprises!

beelsebob
beelsebob

SectorOne wrote:I disagree completely. The strongest tracks are and always will be highest downforce tracks on the calendar. That is where the RB9 comes into it´s own.
No, no, no, no, no...

Simple as that.

They are where the RB6 and RB7 came into it's own. The RB8 was more balanced, the RB9 has a bit of a bias towards low downforce. Go back and look at the various teams' performances at the various tracks this year. The RB9 is far from dominant at the high downforce ones.

turbof1

beelsebob wrote:
SectorOne wrote:I disagree completely. The strongest tracks are and always will be highest downforce tracks on the calendar. That is where the RB9 comes into it´s own.
No, no, no, no, no...

Simple as that.

They are where the RB6 and RB7 came into it's own. The RB8 was more balanced, the RB9 has a bit of a bias towards low downforce. Go back and look at the various teams' performances at the various tracks this year. The RB9 is far from dominant at the high downforce ones.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoMgnJDXd3k[/youtube]

IMO, the RB9 is a good all rounder. It doesn't have that dominance anymore in high downforce tracks, but still one of the best. The lovely part of it can generate high, consistent amounts of downforce, even at lower speeds. That is why they are so good at lower downforce circuits. Monza though will be a tad too much for that.
#AeroFrodo

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

turbof1 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
No, no, no, no, no...

Simple as that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoMgnJDXd3k

IMO, the RB9 is a good all rounder. It doesn't have that dominance anymore in high downforce tracks, but still one of the best. The lovely part of it can generate high, consistent amounts of downforce, even at lower speeds. That is why they are so good at lower downforce circuits. Monza though will be a tad too much for that.
Rb9 has Balanced aero on top of plenty of df to turn up or down

raymondu999

The RB9's most dominant wins have been at Spa and Canada this year - low-med downforce circuits, whereas long-corner circuits were previously a weakness of it. We have to look at the RB9 and the RB9 only in terms of competitiveness at different tracks - and not at it's previous lineage.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Spacepace

But remember everything in F1 comes down to fractions and consider Red Bull had a dry race set up. I expect the Ferrari to be just ahead of Red Bull. Fernando also had good pace at both Montreal and Spa and he started farther back in both of those races due to wet qualifying.

raymondu999

Yes, we have to consider that Mercedes had a wet setup indeed. That's what I was saying in another thread too.

We can probably expect Merc to come on a bit stronger here, thanks to them not biasing their setup for wet weather. I don't expect Ferrari to be ahead of Red Bull because twice, both on dry setups, Alonso's clean air pace hasn't been as strong as Vettel's clean air pace.

I expect the same podium as Canada and Spa - though maybe not in the same order.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:Yes, we have to consider that Mercedes had a wet setup indeed. That's what I was saying in another thread too.

We can probably expect Merc to come on a bit stronger here, thanks to them not biasing their setup for wet weather. I don't expect Ferrari to be ahead of Red Bull because twice, both on dry setups, Alonso's clean air pace hasn't been as strong as Vettel's clean air pace.

I expect the same podium as Canada and Spa - though maybe not in the same order.
I agree, I think we'll see either VET HAM ALO or HAM VET ALO in Italy. The only deviation from this would be that we might see ROS up there too if Merc's low downforce package is as strong as Brawn was making out (which I doubt).

turbof1

To be honest, I think Alonso will be taking pole and win, given how it he utterly dominated qualy last year until his car let him down. During the race he made an impressive recovery.
#AeroFrodo

raymondu999

beelsebob wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Yes, we have to consider that Mercedes had a wet setup indeed. That's what I was saying in another thread too.

I agree, I think we'll see either VET HAM ALO or HAM VET ALO in Italy. The only deviation from this would be that we might see ROS up there too if Merc's low downforce package is as strong as Brawn was making out (which I doubt).
Interesting. Why do you have ALO in P3 regardless?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

max_speed
max_speed

raymondu999 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:

Interesting. Why do you have ALO in P3 regardless?

i think qualifying order gonna be HAM, ALO, VET, GROJ and in race GRO vl try to overtake vettel and take him down.. :D

FoxHound

Mercedes dialled understeer into the front to protect the rear tyres. If you look at footage through Eau rouge mercedes where scrubbing the fronts(understeering) all the way through.
The speed trap indicated something like 15 kph+ down on both red bulls through that corner.
Monza does not have a corner like it, expect Mercedes to bag pole but all will depend on tyre wear as to how they finish the race.
JET set

Yurasyk
Yurasyk

About RB9. Guys, you've forgotten --- tyres of this year. RB9 had a lot of DF but wasn't able to apply full power of DF to the track and found compromise between DF and tyres saving. Mercedes probably has the same amount of DF but less "flexible".

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Sound reasoning. But, as Brawn said, Monza is the one true outlier on the calendar, so i don't think what we saw at Canada or Spa is necessarily an indication of what we will see at Monza.

SiLo

I think Mercedes could snatch their first 1-2 here if it's all dry running. I'm sure Hamilton will go with the lowest DF package he can get away with as we have seen in the past. Red Bull will gear for acceleration as they have in the past and Ferrari will be somewhere in between, as they have in the past.

Just pulling from history :)
Felipe Baby!