2013 Italian GP - Monza

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
McMrocks
McMrocks

Re: Monza Italy 2013 GP

Many (not all) kerbs are entirely flat (apart from the small corrugation (i dunno a better word)). In the chicanes the inner kerb is not that high and the kerbs at the outside are entirely flat and the corrugation should be absorbed by the tyres. The only high kerbs apart from the chicanes are at the variante Ascari which is important, but a soft setup is even better for driving on kerbs (right?)

As said i would go for a soft setup. If the floor hits the ground - so it be (if the car is still legal after the race).

edit: i forgot: todays setup is made to keep the Pirellis alive

prince
prince

Another weekend with mixed conditions...

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Still to early to say, but i hope it is dry for this weekend. I think the battle for pole in the dry would be very close between Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso.

godlameroso

It will be dry
Saishū kōnā

max_speed
max_speed

Druk Lager wrote:James Allison will be in Ferrari garage in Monza!
Reborn of F138 will begin!
i hope for same :wink:

alnando

max_speed wrote:
Druk Lager wrote:James Allison will be in Ferrari garage in Monza!
Reborn of F138 will begin!
i hope for same :wink:
I think that James Allison joined SF in order to help in the development of 2014 car, right?

Kiril Varbanov

beelsebob wrote:
SatchelCharge wrote:Setting up suspension for the curbs on this track - do you want it soft anyway? Or is there a compromise. Do teams just rely on the bouncy tires to absorb that shock?
I would certainly imagine that you want soft suspension here for several reasons
1) Kerb riding
2) Traction
3) Not many corners that rely on ultimate aero setup, and hence need the car nice and level and stable.
Here's what F1 engineers think about it. Well, at least at Enstone.

The Circuit

Approaching Turn 1: The fastest part of the track – with speeds of around 340kph – before braking
hard for the slowest part of the circuit – the Rettifilo chicane – which has a minimum speed of around
75kph. The kerbs are used extensively here as drivers aim to find the shortest line through this tricky
right / left combination.

Turns 2 + 3: Good power delivery on exiting the chicane is essential as the drivers accelerate hard
through Curva Biassono; a good slipstreaming opportunity heading into the next complex.

Turns 4 + 5: Heavy kerb usage through the Turn 4 / 5 chicane, which the cars approach at 330kph
before braking down to around 120kph.

Turns 6 + 7: The Lesmo curves are approached at over 260kph, with a minimum corner speed of
around 180kph in Lesmo 2. Good car control is required though this tricky double right-hander due to
the lower than optimum levels of downforce used at this circuit.

Turns 8 – 10: Variante Ascari is a fast third and fourth gear chicane, but unlike the previous chicanes
around the track there is no kerb usage. The cars approach this complex at around 330kph with a
minimum speed of around 170kph in the first left hand turn, making for a spectacular part of the circuit
where bravery from the drivers is very much rewarded.

Turn 11: The second fastest part of the track, with top speeds of around 335kph reached before
braking to around 215kph at the slowest part of the corner. It’s crucial to stay close to the car ahead
through Curva Parabolica to be positioned for a pass on the following straight.

The Car

Rear Wing: With the long straights forming a significant aspect of the Monza circuit layout – speeds
of around 330kph being attained during the course of a lap – minimising drag is an important
consideration. For this reason a Monza-only low downforce rear wing is produced. As the rear wing
creates less drag that normal, the difference made by DRS is less than at other circuits.

Front Wing: Just as for the rear wing, a bespoke low downforce front wing is produced for Monza.
This really is the home of speed!

Suspension: There are two low-speed chicanes [Turns 1 / 2 and 4 / 5] where the kerbs are used
heavily, so a softer suspension setup with longer travel is preferable for these. However, there is also
the higher speed 3rd / 4th gear Ascari chicane [Turns 8 / 9 / 10] where a stiffer setup with sharper
change of direction is preferable due to its higher speed and lack of kerb usage.

Brakes: After Montréal, this is one of the heaviest circuits of the year for braking demands; with
braking from the fastest part of the track [340kph] to the slowest [75kph] taking place for the Turn 1 / 2
chicane. Recent brake material developments mean that temperatures and wear have become less of
a consideration than previously.

Tyres: Due to the higher speeds seen at Monza there may be some specific limitations on inflation
pressures and camber settings. This is not uncommon for Monza and is just another factor in making
this circuit such a unique challenge.

Engine: Monza is very much a power circuit, with its long straights meaning that a significant portion
of the lap is spent at full throttle. It’s not just all-out power that’s required however, with smooth
delivery exiting the corners onto the straights also important.

BorisTheBlade

The fairies I believe in at least don't have tails ;)

Mr Alcatraz

Fry seems to imply Allison will help on the F138
Former Lotus man Allison, who officially starts work next week, will have Fry’s former job title of technical director (chassis). This will be his second spell at the team after he worked under Ross Brawn from 2000 to 2005.

“I think getting James on board will be a great asset for us really, I mean he’s a top bloke, isn’t he?,” said Fry. “In reality there’s been a huge amount of work for me to do. It’s almost like changing the organization and the running of the company, as well as trying to look at the car.”

“For me it’s good because I’ll have more time to be able to concentrate on really what’s going to make the car quick. Between the two of us we’ll divide the work up. There will be more minds thinking about things, so it can only help.”

Meanwhile Fry made an interesting comment about balancing preparations for 2014 with developing the current car.

“We’re still pushing as hard as we can. We’ve got updates coming through from the tunnel, a few more for Monza and another set for Singapore. So we’ll keep on pushing until Singapore, and then see where we are and revise things then.”
Oh by the way I finally bro did it.
http://i.imgur.com/HbXSkry.jpg :? :mrgreen:
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

mikeerfol

Are there any rain predictions for the race weekend? F1.com says so, but it's not the best weather source...

godlameroso

no rain, surprised no one mentions tire strategy anymore
Saishū kōnā

SamH123
SamH123

"Ian Fergusson ‏@fergieweather 13h
#F1 #MONZA Latest model output, & different handling of trough disruption, paints a v unsettled weekend w rain/showers, some heavy: Jury out"

"Ian Fergusson ‏@fergieweather 13h
#F1 #MONZA Similar complexity re trough disruption meant Spa f'cast went to the wire; may see same story for Monza given model disparities!"

Different forecasts are currently saying different things!
Rain in Monza would be interesting though because the cars are already skittish because of the low downforce

Not so interesting considering that I think it would suit RB again though

iotar__

godlameroso wrote:no rain, surprised no one mentions tire strategy anymore
What do you mean :o :
iotar__ wrote:Strategy, you heard it first folks - one or two stops.
Weather: Saturday - dry and warm - good, Sunday - mixed, chance for rain and thunderstorms

rssh

godlameroso wrote:no rain, surprised no one mentions tire strategy anymore
I was thinking the same; why no discussion on tyre strategy ? In dry I expect 2 stopper because this year tyres are more soft and if the heat is too much then its better to stick to a 2 stop than risk a 1 stop. Lotus may be able to manage 1 stop but last year SCHUMI managed to overtake him at the end on 2 stops (though it can be debated that lotus was in dirty air).

Vasconia

Re: 2013 Italian GP - Monza

Well, after the holidays here I am again, ahh I already miss the holidays. :mrgreen:

I put my money on this:

1. Alonso
2. Hamilton
3. Vettel

A expect a battle between Ferrari who will bring a strong low downforce pagkage and traditionally are fast on this circuit and RB, they will be strong too taking into account what happened in Canada and Spa, if Vettel gets the pole say goodbye to the race and the championship.

Hopefullly Mercedes will get the pole, I pray for a 1-2, followed by Vettel and Alonso(he must had a good Saturday, its about time). This would be the best qualy result if we want to see an exciting race.

I have nothing against Sebastian but I would like to see him out of the podium because it would be good for the championship battle.