2014 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
piast9

Re: 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

Unc1eM0nty wrote:I hate the fact that they punish a driver for a team mistake, it's just fundamentally unfair, they should just dock the team constructor points and leave the driver out of it.
As far as I remember it was Ricchiardo who drove away while red light on the pit signal was still on.

MuseF1

Nope, I just looked at Vettel's pitstop and Ricciardo's bodged stop. The light turned off for Ricciardo indicating that he can drive away.

iotar__

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
djos wrote:Can someone please explain to me how the FIA can legally penalize someone twice for the same incident?
Dan took his 10sec penalty in the race so how can they legally give him a 10 place grid penalty for the next race?

That would be like being fined twice for the same parking infringement which would be thrown out by any western court in 5 seconds flat!
I hate the fact that they punish a driver for a team mistake, it's just fundamentally unfair, they should just dock the team constructor points and leave the driver out of it.
or, make the crew tidy up after all the other teams on Sunday evening 8)
The only penalty that wasn't harsh or debatable is debated and described as harsh. No one punished Ricciardo but his own team. In two ways: driving with wheel that is not attached is kind of difficult. Two: situation is clear, it's not worth it to make that mistake, make sure wheel is attached even if it takes 5-10 seconds, it's not exactly the most difficult thing in F1.

You don't get any advantage (comparatively), rules are clear and apply to everybody, next time any other driver leaves pitstop like DR it's certain he gets the same penalty, which can't be said about any other one. Red Bull basically took care of the first three races for him.

Emerson.F

Best qoute of the whole weekend.

Daniel Ricciardo to Simon Rennie "The Merc’s getting closer, though. If something goes on, I want to be a part of it."
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

kledaras

Can anyone explain me, why in drivers standings Chilton is first among Marussia-Caterham battle, but Caterham still above Marussia in team standings?

marcush.

looking into the lap times of Hulk vs.Alonso I think FI did wrong with their strategy and Nico lost to Alonso simply because he wasted too much time on the hard compound.Bizarrely Hulk acknowledged they had no good Setup for the hard rubber but still they Chose to have a looong stint on them.Sometimes i wonder what makes These guys do such things .
Even if it would have been a equally quick strategy only ,Nico would have been able to fight with equal weapons towards the end of the race ...I had from very early on the Impression it was going to be a fight between alonso and hulk with the open question IF hulk could Keep alonso behind...I sure would have aligned my Strategy with Fernando .Just a guess.

Blanchimont

kledaras wrote:Can anyone explain me, why in drivers standings Chilton is first among Marussia-Caterham battle, but Caterham still above Marussia in team standings?
Marussia
Chilton : 13th in AUS, 15th in MAL

Caterham
Kobayashi: 13th in MAL
Ericsson: 14th in MAL

So as both teams have a 13th finishing position, the 14th place is the decider in the constructors championship.
Chilton is ahead if Kobayashi because of his 15th place in Malaysia.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

atanatizante

Some thoughts:

1. Lewis could run longer on the stints then you conclude
a) he wasn’t on full speed and
b) tyre degradation seems to be solved now bearing in mind this race was the toughest in this regard
2. We’ll see their max. speed only if one of the Merc drivers has a bad pit stop, an off the track, an race incident or a puncture and so on coz he’ll be forced to make up the lost ground …
3. After the qualy results some said that there were some race tactics orders which says that Rosberg’s car must be under fueled and the reason to do that was
a) to get a faster car and maybe get some Lewis undercut with a little help from a SC period
b) in case of a wet race at some point to the race
c) to test how much they could get under fueled for further races references
4. Dr. Marko said on RTL and C.Horner at Sky that RB are lacking almost 80HP and that’s the reason they are so slow on the straights. Which percent is down on ICE and which on ERS? Or maybe they are running with a 50% ERS due to their software gliches?
5. In this regard here there are some top speed analysis between Qualy and Race:
Qualy ; Race ; Delta
Massa 305 - 325 +25km/h
Bottas 304 - 321 +17
Hulk 303 - 313 +10
Rosberg 302 - 313 +10
Magns 301 - 306 +5
Butt 301 - 308 +7
Lewis 300 - 306 +6
Kvyat 300 - 310 +10
Alo 297 - 307 +10
Kimi 296 - 310 +14

Ricci 290 - 295 +5
Vettel 289 - 308!!! +19!!!
a) From this above table we could see that both Williams and RB’s DRS are the most effective from all?
b) 14km/h delta between Vettel and Ricci could be down on what? Coz they have the same RW AoA according their Qualy speeds …
c) Lewis didn’t pass the backmarkers on the straights
6. It’s kinda strange silence from Merc engines teams regarding PPM saga forcing someone to speculate that their power advantage is so big that it allows all the teams to play safe and reach 98-99kg/h according to their injectors times & stuff backup calculations coming from FIA’s ECU software?
7. Knowing how torqy these turbo engines are why can’t they setup the KERS/MGU-K like RB9 did in the 2nd part of the last season, with KERS mapping acting like a TC?
8. Maybe it’s a little hasty but almost every top driver did his fastest lap at the end of the race and the facts are as follows: 1. Lewis 2. Rosb +0.9 sec; 3. Alo +1,1 sec; 4. Vett +1,2 sec; 5. Ricci +1.6 sec …
9. I’ve noticed that both in Australia and here in Malaysia seems to be harder now to pass someone even if you have the same DRS zones, a more powerful DRS this year or effective one ( see Massa vs. Button’s case).
One reason could be that the chased driver is switching to the most powerful mapping coz the gearing is no more important knowing how spread in the power band this year … Then is the same with the driver who’s chasing, he could do the same with power mapping isn’t it? So what could be the reason?
10. I think that sooner or later we could face the real status like RB has a little bit more on aero and Merc a little bit on PU side and in conclusion it’ll be an Even-Steven situation which will end down to the drivers abilities (hope it’s Lewis case ;))
11. Has someone a HI-RE picture with the Merc and RB cars sitting on the parking slot just after the race? Coz you could see crystal clear which car has the bigger rake …a
12. Why it’s so hard from FOM to display a scroll bar up or down the display, like NASCAR, INDY etc. with all the relevant info such as sector times, tyres and so on?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Mandrake

kooleracer wrote:Malaysian GP race start captured form the grandstand. The sound of these cars is something totally different from any race-car now. Great noise, just need a little more volume maybe. But I like this new sound. The TV sound definitely doesn't do the new powerunit's justice at all. FOM needs that relocate the microphones because the cars sound much better in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VWLHJ-Fd1E
Actually, they sound like RC cars going towards the start line. After the start there is a short outburst of noise, which sounds okay-ish, but it's all spoiled by that beautiful sound of the Merc medical car with it's deep V8 grunt......

Gerhard Berger

just realised this was the first non red bull 1-2 since 2010!