Red Bull exceed fuel flow limit, Ricciardo DSQ at Australian GP

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
FrukostScones

Re: 2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne 13-16th March

RB will get away with it. As usual.

They already knew during the race that they were on a thin line.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Skippon

Re: Red Bull RB10 Renault

Has to be DSQ
The the FIA look at the Gill fuel low sensor which it has mandated all teams use. Software will log and telemetry repeat the fuel flow parameter throughout the race; meaning the team cannot feign ignorance. The engine engineers will certainly be aware of this has fuel flow is critical to engine performance.......

Ultra_Tech

How can red bull get away with anything. Whatever the circumstances, if they gained a performance advantage by going over the agreed limit, then they have to be sanctioned.

Gaara

mikeerfol wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
Gaara wrote:So they are allowed 100 kg per race right? the race is 1.5 hours. How the drivers should not pass the 100kg/hour limit?
By not using fuel at a rate of 100kg per hour
Indeed, 100 kg/hour is the maximum they can go.
What does that mean? 100kg/hr is the limit? but the limit is 100kg/for the whole race and the races are longer than 1 hour.

I'm very confused :wtf:

astracrazy

i think people have got it wrong. Its 100kg for the race. so surely the fuel per hour flow will be different per race

if its an hour race the flow rate would be 100kg/hour. if its a 2 hours race the flow rate would need to be 50kg per hour? no?
Last edited by astracrazy on 16 Mar 2014, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

FrukostScones

Gaara wrote:...

What does that mean? 100kg/hr is the limit? but the limit is 100kg/for the whole race and the races are longer than 1 hour.

a nice puzzle for a rainy sunday :mrgreen:
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

basti313

Ultra_Tech wrote:How can red bull get away with anything. Whatever the circumstances, if they gained a performance advantage by going over the agreed limit, then they have to be sanctioned.
The fuel flow sensors are double checked with the fuel consumption calculated by the McLaren standard ECU because the standard ECU still is more precise than the fuel flow sensor. This was announced before the race.
Don`t russel the hamster!

turbof1

You have to make a distinction between the2:
-The fuel rate applies at any given moment: so you aren't allowed during a given time moment A to spend more fuel then 100kg/h, 1,66kg/m, 27.778g/s,... .
-On top of that, you aren't allowed to spend more then 100kg of during an entire race (start to chequered flag).

What does that mean? Well the first is better to be looked at as the peak fuel consumption rate. It is expressed in kg/h, but isn't about what you are allowed to spend in a hour, but a fuel rate you are never allowed to go above. It might be a bit clearer if you take as grams per second. It's still the same rate though.
The second is your maximum consumption from the start of the race (the moment the green lights turn on) to the crossing of the chequered flag. So it doesn't matter if the race is a hour, 1.5 hours, 2 hours,... . You have 100kg to do that. Do note this does not include installation laps, formation lap, in lap after crossing the flag and fuel sample.
Last edited by turbof1 on 16 Mar 2014, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
#AeroFrodo

thomin

astracrazy wrote:i think people have got it wrong. Its 100kg for the race. so surely the fuel per hour flow will be different per race

if its an hour race the flow rate would be 100kg/hour. if its a 2 hours race the flow rate would need to be 50kg per hour? no?
The flow rate isn't necessarily constant throughout the race. You can have a lower flow rate, for example behind the safety car and then later cranking it up. Since the flow rate determines your power output, the FIA has already announced beforehand that they will take a tough stance on the issue.

Maxion

Gaara wrote:
mikeerfol wrote:
By not using fuel at a rate of 100kg per hour
Indeed, 100 kg/hour is the maximum they can go.

I'm very confused :wtf:[/quote]

You have a 100 kg of fuel.

You have a race that lasts at most 2 hours.

You can only use at most 100 kg / hour of fuel.

What is it that is confusing about this?

astracrazy

ok i see thanks

Hail22

Ted Kravitz posted a photo of dan and the team having a chat while Red Bull management argue their case to the FIA:

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Paul

Now that we know that logging rate is 5 times per second, we might as well refer to it as 5.6 grams per .2 seconds that mustn't be exceeded.

timbo

Gaara wrote:What does that mean? 100kg/hr is the limit? but the limit is 100kg/for the whole race and the races are longer than 1 hour.

There's two limits. 100kg for the entire race + at any time fuel flow must not exceed 100kg/h. Also, the fuel flow is dependent on revs. 100kg/hr is only permitted above 10500rpm. If you wonder about race lasting longer than 1 hr, keep in mind that engine does not need full flow at all times (if you're off the throttle or at partial throttle or below 10500 revs) and yeah, drivers have to save fuel sometimes.