2014 Austrian Grand Prix - Red Bull Ring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
AnthonyG

Re: 2014 Austrian Grand Prix - Red Bull Ring

If Williams pitted sooner they would be in traffic and Mercedes would pass them in the pits. Mercedes got caught in traffic when they pitted, Williams stayed out because there was a chance the traffic was slow enough to give them the lead over Mercedes after they pitted. Staying out was the best choice.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

SectorOne

AnthonyG wrote:If Williams pitted sooner they would be in traffic and Mercedes would pass them in the pits. Mercedes got caught in traffic when they pitted, Williams stayed out because there was a chance the traffic was slow enough to give them the lead over Mercedes after they pitted. Staying out was the best choice.
Nice one!
yea Perez was around there now wasn´t he...
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

One thing that's frustrating is how Hamilton is consistently saving a lot more fuel than Rosberg, yet he seemingly is not being able to take advatange of this as they both still have to run the same engine settings for "fairness". This in-fact will mean that Hamilton's running with a heavier car. His team don't seem to inform him of this and instead keep asking him to save fuel. I believe it would be fairer if the drivers could run with the maximum engine setting their remaining fuel will allow them to (within reason), so at least this advantage can be measured. It's kind of like having a driver save tyres but then being told to drive to a lap delta and follow the car behind because their tyres are worse.

Another thing I read on the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/27966560

Hamilton: "I easily had the pace [to win] but something was weird. My power was dropping and his wasn't and we need to investigate what that was. We're always trying to manage power. Perhaps we could have been a bit more optimal."

Another quote on Sky: "Going into the race I wasn't aware we had a brake problem so it was news to me when they started to speak to me about it," the Englishman reported. "We had a problem in the last race but in the last race it was the rears and here it was the fronts."

The first quote is as Lewis says "wierd". Can the team affect power settings remotely? The second quote is also strange as Rosberg said during an interview that he knew going into the race that brakes would be marginal and he chose that setup with that in mind, knowing it would be faster but require managing. Either Hamilton was not informed of this (which is strange) or he had a different setup and as such didn't expect the problems. Could this again be the team forcing Hamilton to deal with issues he doesn't have because Rosberg has them. It's like Rosberg has brake issues so to make it fair we have to tell Lewis to look after the brakes?

beelsebob
beelsebob

tranquility2k4 wrote:One thing that's frustrating is how Hamilton is consistently saving a lot more fuel than Rosberg, yet he seemingly is not being able to take advatange of this as they both still have to run the same engine settings for "fairness". This in-fact will mean that Hamilton's running with a heavier car. His team don't seem to inform him of this and instead keep asking him to save fuel. I believe it would be fairer if the drivers could run with the maximum engine setting their remaining fuel will allow them to (within reason), so at least this advantage can be measured. It's kind of like having a driver save tyres but then being told to drive to a lap delta and follow the car behind because their tyres are worse.
You're making a big assumption there that Hamilton didn't start with less fuel.

the user
the user

tranquility2k4 wrote:One thing that's frustrating is how Hamilton is consistently saving a lot more fuel than Rosberg, yet he seemingly is not being able to take advatange of this as they both still have to run the same engine settings for "fairness". This in-fact will mean that Hamilton's running with a heavier car. His team don't seem to inform him of this and instead keep asking him to save fuel. I believe it would be fairer if the drivers could run with the maximum engine setting their remaining fuel will allow them to (within reason), so at least this advantage can be measured. It's kind of like having a driver save tyres but then being told to drive to a lap delta and follow the car behind because their tyres are worse.
Did you think that maybe because Hamilton's consumption is lower - he starts with a lower fuel load than Rosberg?

thomin

beelsebob wrote:
Not to mention that it has nothing to do with "fairness" but with the rules. There is a fuel flow limit after all. So the only way to really capitalize from better fuel mileage is to start lighter.

Racer X

Im happy with the Effort Sergio Perez showed today he out raced Hulk by some margin and his result given the starting position on grid is definitely something to be proud off. I hope he gets a better start position next race and lets see what he can do closer up. I think maybe if he keeps racing like this he can MAYBE get one more podium this season...
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

spin1/2
spin1/2

Racer X wrote:Im happy with the Effort Sergio Perez showed today he out raced Hulk by some margin and his result given the starting position on grid is definitely something to be proud off. I hope he gets a better start position next race and lets see what he can do closer up. I think maybe if he keeps racing like this he can MAYBE get one more podium this season...
Perez tried an alternate strategy - PPO, while the others were doing OPP. This alone (and ofcourse no mistakes from his part) gave him the jump on Hulk & K-Mag.

zeph
zeph

basti313 wrote:
zeph wrote:
SamH123 wrote: I thought it was interesting that Bottas could have feasibly won the race today if Williams had got the pit stops perfect. The pace difference to the Mercs along with how good the Williams cars were on the straights means he could have possibly held the Mercs if he had kept track position.
I think it's interesting you thought Bottas could have won when Massa got pole and led the race without trouble until Williams botched up his pit stop. Massa went from leader to P4, and I hear none of the pundits (on tv or here on the forum) comment on that.
Because he messed it up himself.
Explain?

spin1/2
spin1/2

SamH123 wrote:I thought it was interesting that Bottas could have feasibly won the race today if Williams had got the pit stops perfect. The pace difference to the Mercs along with how good the Williams cars were on the straights means he could have possibly held the Mercs if he had kept track position.
If Williams had instead decided to stop earlier than the Mercs, the Mercs had enough pace to go atleast 0.5s faster in clearer air. They would have done that for 2 extra laps, & taken the lead after stopping. Once Rosberg got past Bottas, you could see him easily open up the gap.

PlatinumZealot

thomin wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Not to mention that it has nothing to do with "fairness" but with the rules. There is a fuel flow limit after all. So the only way to really capitalize from better fuel mileage is to start lighter.
4kg is worth a good amount of lap-time and It won't be "fair" at the start if Hamilton started 4kg lighter now would it? haha..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

Hamilton not fast enough again, mistakes in quali again, completely destroyed by Rosberg again, fanboys making up excuses again.

What about he last lap overtake from Ricciardo, that was pretty special in an otherwise boring race.

Harsha
Harsha

Do any one has the List of how many components each driver has after the Austria GP?

Racingf1
Racingf1

Harsha wrote:Do any one has the List of how many components each driver has after the Austria GP?
At the twitter account from the Catalan engineer Albert Fabrega, he used to work for Hispania as a team coordinator, he publishes this information at every race. That's because now he's a commentator for the public catalan television TV3.

https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 1033576448

Godius

Again a stellar performance by Perez!