2014 British GP - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Juzh

Re: 2014 British GP - Silverstone

siskue2005 wrote:
Juzh wrote:5 will be flat, others will not.
yes 5 will be easy flat
People were having trouble with T5 even back in 2012. I'm sure it will be nowhere near flat this year. Merc engined cars especially.

FrukostScones

Merc, Red Bull, Lotus

In the rain VET victory.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

henra
henra

siskue2005 wrote: and so does your post
#-o #-o

Would it be asking much to leave such cr*p outt'a here?

raymondu999

I'm going to wager that with Mediums and Hards at play - then OOP is the default strategy. And some daredevil might (marginal, but just might) make an attempt at OP.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

godlameroso

It could work, tire wear is on the level of Malaysia, pit time loss is average about 24 seconds including pit stop. Over 52 laps, a car could essentially be slower by three tenths of a second per lap or less and still be ahead by saving on a pit stop. Now the question is would one be able to stretch the tires out and maintain that three tenths or lower deficit give or take? That's when strategy comes in, if you're racing another car and they try to get the undercut. Even if they go faster than you on new tires, if you can cushion the margin by a certain amount you can still be faster overall when you pit later and can do more aggressive out laps, this works only if your opponent is on two stops. Otherwise you risk having the tires fall off their cliff.
Saishū kōnā

beelsebob
beelsebob

godlameroso wrote:It could work, tire wear is on the level of Malaysia, pit time loss is average about 24 seconds including pit stop.
That doesn't sound right - remember, this is the circuit where driving through the pits is faster than driving round the track.

SectorOne

beelsebob wrote:That doesn't sound right - remember, this is the circuit where driving through the pits is faster than driving round the track.
Silverstone has a very short pitlane but it´s not faster going through it on the pit limiter then driving around it.

What is faster is setting a fast lap then bolting into the pits because the timing beacon strip is almost at the beginning of the Wing.
You can see it in this image, by the two white cars,

Here´s another image,
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

MercedesAMGSpy

A must win for Lewis Hamilton if he wants to stop Rosberg's run.

markn93

What if he comes second and Rosberg DNFs?

MercedesAMGSpy

markn93 wrote:What if he comes second and Rosberg DNFs?
Not bad, but this race is so special for Lewis. He is always talking about Silverstone 2008, he wants to win it.

markn93

MercedesAMGSpy wrote:
markn93 wrote:What if he comes second and Rosberg DNFs?
Not bad, but this race is so special for Lewis. He is always talking about Silverstone 2008, he wants to win it.
I agree. He wants that 08 feeling again. And to stop giving away weekends where he's been the quicker.

beelsebob
beelsebob

SectorOne wrote:
beelsebob wrote:That doesn't sound right - remember, this is the circuit where driving through the pits is faster than driving round the track.
Silverstone has a very short pitlane but it´s not faster going through it on the pit limiter then driving around it.
We're both wrong it turns out.

When the new pit lane was first built, it was indeed faster to use the pit lane than the circuit. The pit lane speed limit was then lowered the next year so that drive through penalties were actually penalties.

The pit lane is still extremely low loss (not even close to 24 seconds), but it does lose you a tiny bit of time now.

SectorOne

Ah thanks, yea now i remember them lowering the limit.
But i think you can still set a faster laptime if you bolt into the pits instead of the normal route, have to check next week and see i suppose.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

raymondu999

To memory, it was faster to finish the lap in the pits - because you skipped club corner. But its still a net loss overall. The time loss comes not from the end of that lap but the start of the next lap.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

WaikeCU

I think last season, LH would have won it, if he didn't had that tire blowout. Genuinely I think Hamilton is quick off the line during race starts this season. So I still have to find a faulty race start by him and not because of mechanical failure. Rosberg however has been the slower starter of the two. So looking at the start and the run to turn 2 I think LH could make a difference here.