2014 British GP - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SectorOne

Re: 2014 British GP - Silverstone

I´m just glad knowing the tires won´t explode this time. What a race that was :) Unreal.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:To memory, it was faster to finish the lap in the pits - because you skipped club corner. But its still a net loss overall. The time loss comes not from the end of that lap but the start of the next lap.
Nope, it actually was faster to do a drive through penalty than to lap on the circuit. So much so that they had to ban driving through the pits except for a penalty or a pit stop in the 2011 race. The reason is mostly due to the fact that you remove the slowest part of the circuit, and replace it with an extra couple of seconds of full throttle, before braking for only 1 corner instead of 3.

Montyinct

They might let Hamilton win this one, and maybe the US GP later on or something but only after Rosberg wins the title. Hamilton is turning into #2 driver

NTS
NTS

Question about the rules: can you finish by crossing the line in the pits? Because that would make the last lap a very tempting moment do dive into the pits because you will not have the downside of the slower start of the next lap.

Just_a_fan

No, that was made illegal after Schumacher did it to take his penalty drive through.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

hollus

Is it written anywhere in the rules?
Rivals, not enemies.

beelsebob

hollus wrote:Is it written anywhere in the rules?
The above rule only applied to drive throughs - they changed the wording of the drive through penalty to say that to serve it you must enter and exit the pits.

I'm pretty sure that the rule about unnecessarily entering the pits still applies at silverstone - it'll just be enforced as a stewards directive at the event.

f1316

Seems to me that if Ferrari can be that close to Williams on a power track then they'll beat them at Silverstone (or Alonso will).

Rbs will be much stronger so interesting to see whether they or Alonso are best of the rest, but I think the step Ferrari's update has brought was somewhat masked by their power deficiencies at the last two tracks (and that they didn't race the full upgrade in Canada).

iotar__

f1316 wrote:Seems to me that if Ferrari can be that close to Williams on a power track then they'll beat them at Silverstone (or Alonso will).

Rbs will be much stronger so interesting to see whether they or Alonso are best of the rest, but I think the step Ferrari's update has brought was somewhat masked by their power deficiencies at the last two tracks (and that they didn't race the full upgrade in Canada).
Question is which engine is worse Renault or Ferrari, anyone knows? Canada - Ferrari (cooling, reliability compromises), Austria - Renault (I blame drivers ;-)). With certain Merc wins slight uncertainty about pecking order is the only interesting thing about 2014. Plus Rosberg- Hamilton soap opera - chapter 11. RB should be better with their supposed aero advantage although Ricciardo claimed they weren't gaining as much as they expected in corners in Austria. Merc - ......... - RB - Wlliams/Ferrari(?), who cares.

BTW, Chester: “A lot of teams seem to be struggling to consistently get the best from the tyres this year,” “At some events, certain teams and drivers get it right, only to drop down the order at the next event. It's one of the challenges we have every season, to maximise tyre performance from the latest cars, but this year seems to be particularly difficult."
OMG it's like it's lottery out there with the tyres, random results. Slower cars but better on tyres (FI) should not be beating faster ones. (Red Bull (TM))

PlatinumZealot

f1316 wrote:Seems to me that if Ferrari can be that close to Williams on a power track then they'll beat them at Silverstone (or Alonso will).

The Ferrari is good at taking care of its tyres too, that is one of the reasons why they were so close in Austria.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

sennaf1god.94

n smikle wrote:The Ferrari is good at taking care of its tyres too, that is one of the reasons why they were so close in Austria.
And Silverstone is a demanding track on tyrres, at least it was last season.

From what we could see until now, no matter what Hamilton does, he will suffer "reliability" problems again and again if he manages to beat again the GoldenBoy at the Silver Team...

So for me, Hamilton is the only true WDC leader until now. Better Qualy ratio, most Wins, faster Racepace. Two DNF´s and slower pitstops are on the other side of the balance...

Not coincidently two cons that points directly at his team.

:roll:
I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's.

Ayrton Senna da Silva

f1316

I'm not sure if it's true that this year's Ferrari is that kind on its tyres - or at least it is and it isn't.

I think that they struggle to get enough temp into the tyres in quali (what else is new) and this can help them in higher temperatures during the race when they don't overheat them, but sometimes it can also mean they get a lot of wear because of a lack of grip/too much sliding

Also, they were closer on the soft - the harder tyre - during the race in Austria

As someone else said, it's difficult to get a feeling for who is good/bad on tyres this year. I think that's to do with some teams being good with some compounds and others with others, but I haven't really analysed it closely enough to get a full understanding of it yet.

F1NAC

f1316 wrote:I'm not sure if it's true that this year's Ferrari is that kind on its tyres - or at least it is and it isn't.

I think that they struggle to get enough temp into the tyres in quali (what else is new) and this can help them in higher temperatures during the race when they don't overheat them, but sometimes it can also mean they get a lot of wear because of a lack of grip/too much sliding

Also, they were closer on the soft - the harder tyre - during the race in Austria

As someone else said, it's difficult to get a feeling for who is good/bad on tyres this year. I think that's to do with some teams being good with some compounds and others with others, but I haven't really analysed it closely enough to get a full understanding of it yet.
Exactly the same problem they had in 2011 (struggling to get temps into tyres)

Gaz.

With so few big braking zones, surely this track will suit those who have the best heat recovery for the ERS?
Forza Jules

beelsebob

Gaz. wrote:With so few big braking zones, surely this track will suit those who have the best heat recovery for the ERS?
Or alternatively, those who has the best kinetic recovery. At tracks with lots of braking it's easy to recover your full quota. At tracks with very little, you have to have a very efficient system to recover it. Thus, the best KERS has an advantage.