2014 British GP - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Waywardism

Re: 2014 British GP - Silverstone

You either have to:

1. Abandon rules about track limits altogether which in my opinion is stupid and dangerous.
2. Have strict adherence to track limits at all times with any specific exceptions being made clear to everyone beforehand.
3. Gravel traps everywhere!

Cam

fets81 wrote:as always it's the consistency of the decisions that bugs me, I can understand why the stewards wouldn't punish one driver over the other when both were running all 4 wheels off the track but didn't grosjean get slapped with a 20 second penalty last year in hungary for doing this once?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmZ9oKXXHHQ
To be fair, that was before this recent agreement to let more of the action stay on track and out of the stewards room. If one driver was doing it and not the other, fair enough, but when both are guilty, let them go.

Just don't whinge about others, while you're doing it as well, is all we ask.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

f1universe

Re: Scuderia Ferrari Team 2014

Bob Brown wrote:

Also found this funny from this past weekend:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Br71fxiIUAAjCKJ.jpg

nothing funny about it, more like Kimi fanboys. Alonso was taken to the hospital and he was strapped because is the FIA procedure.

f1universe

There is any logical reason about why Alonso was the only driver that got a black and white flag when almost everyone was going out of the track over and over again.

Cam

Actually, why wasn't Kimi strapped like that?
p15 - FIA - A driver's guide to safer motorsport wrote: 5. If an accident happens
- If you are injured and experience difficulty moving, it is best to stay in the car until the rescue crew arrives. Make them understand the problem and wait until a doctor arrives in order to supervise your transport without aggravating injury.
He certainly didn't look all that crash hot (sorry pun) when he got out and seeing as he not long ago had back surgery....
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avBWIFzI_Tg[/youtube]
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

bhall II

[...]
Last edited by bhall II on 09 Jul 2014, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

seahawk

Waywardism wrote:You either have to:

1. Abandon rules about track limits altogether which in my opinion is stupid and dangerous.
2. Have strict adherence to track limits at all times with any specific exceptions being made clear to everyone beforehand.
3. Gravel traps everywhere!
Instead of gravel one could use water-bound coverings for the run-off areas. Which is a nice half-way between the gravel traps and the current solution. It avoids the risk of the car digging in, yet has higher friction for cars sliding over it than asphalt, while it would offer less grip in the run-off areas and the dust would make any off-track adventure highly visible.

Cam

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8ZHYDvXr8k[/youtube]
This was the incident that caused Alonso to be strapped down.
Alonso was taken to hospital following the incident after a medical alarm was triggered in the Spaniard's Ferrari when it crashed down at more than 150mph as he avoided contact with the Toro Rosso.
So what on earth was Kimi doing getting out that car? Does anyone know if those alarms are seen instantly by the team in the pits?

Edit:
Alonso wrote:"We have an alarm on the chassis and after a minimum of G-force there is an alarm on the chassis for big crashes to tell the medical car and whatever."
So the Medical Car gets that data, and that was the car that was there, no?
― Socrates

De Jokke

De Jokke wrote:Rosberg looks gutted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbatumJdl4E

Lewis clearly more positive about Lowe than Wolff (2.17), I wonder why :wink: : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT8Nb2Aruts

Jup: Meanwhile, Hamilton rankled at a reported comment by Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff after Silverstone that, following his Silverstone retirement, Rosberg offered Hamilton a piece of advice, or a ‘tip’, en route to victory.

“Toto said that?” Hamilton responded, joking: “That’s good. Toto likes being on that side of the garage.”

Ow boy, this could mean it's all played already with Toto ("boss") favoritising Rosberg.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

jz11

Waywardism wrote:Shakeman has a point. It's not the fact that there's a bump there, it's that you wouldn't expect such a bump there. Remember Petrov in Malaysia? That could've been very nasty had it been on the first lap. Yet we see drivers going from tarmac to grass and back to tarmac at speed all the time.
that is not a valid argument - Kimi went of the track there into the grass and tried to get back on the track without losing any speed at all, which is mostly the case nowdays with the supersafe runoff areas and was even heavily exploited by the current championship leader couple races back - and it shouldn't be so - mistakes must be punished, if they had normal grass next to curbs you wouldn't have discussion here and on the tv about Alonso vs Vettel fight and them going off the track with all 4 all the time - basically - curb is a warning that you are over the track limits, you go over the curb - you lose traction - you want to get back on the track - slow down first, and this is the way it should be - because nothing but your mistake (most of time) led to you going off the track

now it is like - there sort of are track limits, riding curbs doesn't slow you down, going over them - even better for lap time, and helps to create drama out of something that shouldn't even be there

prince

De Jokke wrote:
De Jokke wrote:Rosberg looks gutted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbatumJdl4E

Lewis clearly more positive about Lowe than Wolff (2.17), I wonder why :wink: : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT8Nb2Aruts

Jup: Meanwhile, Hamilton rankled at a reported comment by Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff after Silverstone that, following his Silverstone retirement, Rosberg offered Hamilton a piece of advice, or a ‘tip’, en route to victory.

“Toto said that?” Hamilton responded, joking: “That’s good. Toto likes being on that side of the garage.”

Ow boy, this could mean it's all played already with Toto ("boss") favoritising Rosberg.
It's really hard NOT to believe that certain minds have a some what favored interests. Lot of people can jump in and deny this, but so many blunders for Lewis' pit stops make it absolutely difficult to believe that everything is fair. Last week Toto was making noise that "Transparency" is suffering between two garages. I am sure he might not be happy and making that statement looking at Lewis' garage. Now Lewis seems to be throwing away hints of that. Lauda is a fan of Lewis and probably its Nico for Toto. Why not, Austrian/German amalgamation in a German team.

Mods, look like this is more of team banter. Please feel free to move it to the team thread.

basti313

beelsebob wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:Does anyone know why nothing seemed to have been mentioned (I didnt hear anything on Sky or BBC) about the passing move Vettel put on Alonso, and the fact that his pass was done in Copse and he ran 4 wheels over the white line on the exit !?
Mostly because the stewards thought both of them were running off the track far too much. Vettel actually ran off the track 3 times during the build up, and passing move.
The rule is still "gain a lasting advantage". And the FIA defined that in Silverstone to be valid for turn 8 and 18, the other turns did not matter as the drivers do not gain any advantage in lap time with running wide in the other corners.
So it does not make sense at all to talk about three times, he was clearly in at turn 8 and turn 5 and 9 do not matter at all.

The only thing to discuss is turn 18 in the lap before the pass. Vettel was clearly off...but did he gain a lasting advantage? I would rather say no, as he did not really get near on the straight, but very close as Alonso was very slow in turn 1,2 and 3. Vettel was held up in these corners, so running wide in turn 18 did not change anything. But I am sure, that we will not all agree in this one.
Don`t russel the hamster!

bhall II

[...]
Last edited by bhall II on 09 Jul 2014, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.

basti313

bhall II wrote:That was my thought, too. I don't know why they allowed him to get out of the car on his own. ...
Well, this was Kimi. There was only one marshal there when he got out of the car...not enough to allow or disallow him anything. Afterwards they could have stuffed him back when they were tree against one... :wink:
Don`t russel the hamster!

max_speed

Mandrake wrote:
Morteza wrote:Alonso vs. Vettel for me was the best part of the race. Damn, Alonso can drive. The guy is an absolute joy to watch on the track. Hats off to him. I'm a Hamilton fan, but kudos to Alonso for such an amazing drive in that car.
radosav wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3-ACjgxSno
It was fantastic how Alo controled Vet in corners, braking his racing line all the times. + looking in mirrors where Vet crossed the racing borders.
This guy is a monster.
Vettel's car was a rocket , how he could put so early on throttle and to drive so close to Alo.
Alonso showed today why he is best F1 driver.
zeph wrote:
Traction wrote:Alonso was superb through the race but it all meant nothing when he was reminded by Vettel why Seb is a 4 time WDC. :lol: great racing , wheel to wheel stuff. Although both of them should have just shut up and raced I think it was Alonso who cried the most. Strange how upset he became when he was showed up by Seb in a straight up battle.
If you would take off your Alonso glasses and imagine it wasn't Alonso driving the Ferrari but Maldonado you would tell a different story. Vettel had the faster car thanks to fresh tires and superior cornering performance, though lacking grunt on the straights. Alonso did some very dirty moves knowing that Vettel would give space. All this cutting across Vettel and turning in while Vettel was already alongside is dirty and against the rules.

In the end it was effective and made a boring race somewhat watchable, but the praise he gets for it I just cannot understand.

You just gotta love how Alonso is glorified and gets away with way too many things. Every other driver would have received a DT Penalty for being out of position in the grid. Alonso doesn't. It doesn't matter if the DT is too harsh or not, it's a clear case and there are a lot of similar cases with a DT as result. Again, had it been Maldonado I'd bet a huge sum that he'd had gotten a DT instead of just a 5s penalty.

Overall I think it's far from fair and consistent what is going on in F1. Red flag a race and the order from 1-2 laps before the flag is taken for the final result. Red flag in Lap 1 without a single lap completed and the current order is taken? This is just decisions based on what promises to give a better show.....if I want to see a show I watch Wrestling or Nitro Circus or other staged events...
a bit far fetched story , maldonado wud have bumped into vettel, when he was coming out of pits on cold tyres .. maldonado does not provide racing spectacle.. he is here for fireworks